vista locks when browsing the internet

ElAguila

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows what is causing it and how to fix it. I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit with SP1 and all updates current. When I go to certain web pages in internet explorer or opera, my computer freezes up and I have to reset the machine. One of the web pages is on zdnet. When I go to zdnet and click the news/blogs link and then click any link on that page and my system freezes. At first I thought it might be related to NIS or Spybot but I have tried this with a fresh build that only had vista and the browsers installed and it still happened.

• 2 weeks later...

i had this issue on TOSHIBA 80-132 laptop, even after uninstalling all IE7 addon's and resetting IE7 back to its defaults it would still lockup when using IE on certain sites, other sites were fine to browse, still had same issue using my factory recovery point before any updates were installed.

i was unable to resolve it and eventually did a complete clean installation and everything seemed fine after that.

sorry i couldn't help, but i know that problem your having, it was a right bugger for me.

I just rebuilt my system and before the windows updates, no problems. After the windows updates the lockups are back.
Was NIS and Spybot loaded after the rebuild, before the Windows updates were installed?

Did you look to see what updates were actually downloaded, were there any device driver updates for example?

Was the system RTM at first, then SP1 was one of the updates, or was it SP1 from clean?

I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 and all updates installed. SP1 and all updates were installed before NIS and Spy Bot.

UPDATE: Well I have no solutions. I am going to rebuild my Vista and then I will check it after each individual upate. That is the only way I know to figure out what is happening.

Edited by ElAguila

• 3 weeks later...
I am running Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 and all updates installed. SP1 and all updates were installed before NIS and Spy Bot.

UPDATE: Well I have no solutions. I am going to rebuild my Vista and then I will check it after each individual upate. That is the only way I know to figure out what is happening.

I'm having the exact same problem you are!

Mine will freeze randomly when using the web. Have you been able to conduct your experiment with each individual update and see if one or more of them are the problem?

Suggestion:

Download and install Maxthon

Open Maxthon and after the welcome pop up, got to "Tools" "Maxthon Setting Center" (It may open itself the first time you use maxthon) . Under "General", select "disable script" and "disable activeX".

then go to zednet in Maxthon.

Your page should appear instantly.

I was having a very similar issue when I first built my computer.

I narrowed the problem down to my wireless card, and a Google search confirmed my suspicions. I had been using the card in my old Vista x64 machine, and there were no issues, but there were issues in my new machine. Apparently the x64 driver for that specific card has issues with memory amounts >4GB, which causes lockups. Not all the time, but when doing very specific things (for me, it was uploading to certain websites).

There wasn't an updated driver, so I stuck in a wireless USB dongle and haven't had an issue since.

So I would suspect a network driver if I were you, since the lockups occur during network related tasks.