WDS Driver Injection Problem

Hello All

Having some trouble with driver injection that I have not had before. I am trying to capture two images using WDS. When I get into the Capture from PXE the two machines I am trying to capture are not getting IP addresses when I press SHIFT - F10 / ipconfig /all. Which is fine, as what I would normally do is go back to the server and open the wim up using..

imagex /mountrw "d:\location of capture.wim" 1 d:\mount - open the image

peimg /inf="location of driver.inf" /image=d:\mount - inject the drivers

imagex /unmount /commit d:\mount - close the image and commit changes

But when I retry on a machine it still showing as no IP.

Weirdly though if I do it from within PE ..

drvload.exe "location of driver.inf"

wpeutil initalizenetwork

All is fine and it THIS works.

Anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't work with the injection method? I even tried copy the files in manually to windows\system32\drivers windows\inf, which I have had some success with in the past, but not this time. I have been taking the image offline while I do the injection the puting it back online after. Someone please help!?

The two machines I am doing the capture on are

Toshiba Satalite L300 with Realtek RT8111B/8111C

(Machine with a) Gigabyte Motherboard GA-945GCM-S2L with Realtek RT8102E

Edited by purkleturkle

I've just noticed something really annoying. If I press SHIFT - F10 and type wputil InitializeNetwork from the ofset it will then pick up NIC and ip address. You shouldn't have to do this though, anyone got any ideas on this?

Edited by purkleturkle

1. Download and install WAIK. This doesn't have to be installed on the server. In an XP VM will do fine.

2. In your WDS server, temporarily disable the boot.wim file then manually copy the boot.wim file from RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\Images\boot.wim to C:\temp\ (Location C:\temp should be in the machine where you installed WAIK, copy over the network basically)

3. Download Ethernet drivers for the machines you are trying the PXE boot from, and extract the required .inf/.cat/.sys file (that come with the driver) into c:\temp\drivers\

4. Click on Start/programs/Microsoft Windows AIK/Windows PE Tools Command Prompt

5. Create another folder called Mount in C:\temp\

6. Type: imagex /mountrw C:\Temp\boot.wim 2 C:\Temp\Mount . If 2 doesn't work, try 1 or do a imagex /info c:\boot.wim to see if you have a 1 or 2 in your catalog file.

7. Next type: peimg /inf=C:\Temp\Drivers\*.inf /image=C:\Temp\Mount. If *.inf doesn't work give the whole filename instead and do it again if you have more then one INF in your drivers directory. Ex: peimg /inf=C:\Temp\Drivers\e1000.inf /image=C:\Temp\Mount

8. When your're done adding the drivers type: imagex /unmount /commit C:\Temp\Mount

9. Copy the new boot.wim file (which should have increased in size due to driver injection) from C:\temp and paste it to your server overwriting the existing one.

10. Enable the boot image in your WDS server.

11. Do the same steps if you have a capture.wim boot file that you may use to capture Xp or Vista.

Edited by engert100

• 3 months later...

Sorry engert100, but you offered the very same steps purketurkle said they'd already tried?!

I've also run into the same problems injecting these same Realtek drivers into a boot image (for an HP PC, not a laptop in my case). The driver injection process completes without error but the driver isn't being loaded when I boot using the updated image. I also tried copying the .inf, .cat and .sys files directly into the mounted image folders and repackaging/replacing it in WDS, to no avail.

However, I can't seem to use the drvload / initialize networking trick after hitting SHIFT+F10 as they can?

I load the driver and it says the network initialization has completed, but I get no connectivity and once the 'No DHCP servers' error pops and I acknowledge it, I can't even try again and have to reboot... Hmmm?

Sorry engert100, but you offered the very same steps purketurkle said they'd already tried?!

I've also run into the same problems injecting these same Realtek drivers into a boot image (for an HP PC, not a laptop in my case). The driver injection process completes without error but the driver isn't being loaded when I boot using the updated image. I also tried copying the .inf, .cat and .sys files directly into the mounted image folders and repackaging/replacing it in WDS, to no avail.

However, I can't seem to use the drvload / initialize networking trick after hitting SHIFT+F10 as they can?

I load the driver and it says the network initialization has completed, but I get no connectivity and once the 'No DHCP servers' error pops and I acknowledge it, I can't even try again and have to reboot... Hmmm?

I have struggled a lot with wds and began over and over again. Every attempt i came to somthing new with a problem also injecting drivers. What i would do is find the wright boot.wim for you (for me it was on the Windows Vista SP! dvd and not the boot.wim from the windows Vista) the boot.wim is also on the windows server 2008 dvd.

Then try to inject drivers with peimg. Try *.inf but also name the name.inf exactly.

Find the right drivers for your network card. Try Vista drivers not XP. SOmetimes XP drivers will do sometimes not.

Search the internet for problems with your network card.

I believe it is in the boot.wim that you use (hell by me it was due to problems 90% at te time..)

scalpold: Make sure you use imagex /mountrw c:\boot.wim 2 c:\templocation if your boot.wim contains two images.

You can check with imagex /info boot.wim

If you cannot contact a DCHP server after loading drivers with drvload.exe, are you sure its the correct network driver?

I had to load Vista32bit drivers for my HP6930 to boot correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Thanks for the posts.. Sorry did not have to do this machine type again until now.. Solution for

Toshiba L300 PSLB1E Celeron - Realtek 8101e/8102 on PXE Menu

surferje - Tried the wim from Server 2008, it still did not have the driver for it. (Server 2008s Boot Backgrounds pretty... boring LOL Grey)

Downloaded the Vista Driver from the Realtek Website. Injected it into the a fresh boot.wim, created a new capture wim for it. Worked first time. Must just be that XP Nic Driver is not compatible with WinPE for some reason.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited by purkleturkle

• 3 months later...

Hey peeps!

Just wanted to add a Thank You to this post, as i've been messing about with this Server 2008 for a week, trying to get WDS Working and ended up with the same problem. I love to learn by just doing it and looking up answers as problems occur. This site finally gave me a good answer to the driver problem and it worked first try.

Cheers :)

• 9 months later...
Hi Guys. Thanks for the posts.. Sorry did not have to do this machine type again until now.. Solution for

surferje - Tried the wim from Server 2008, it still did not have the driver for it. (Server 2008s Boot Backgrounds pretty... boring LOL Grey)

Downloaded the Vista Driver from the Realtek Website. Injected it into the a fresh boot.wim, created a new capture wim for it. Worked first time. Must just be that XP Nic Driver is not compatible with WinPE for some reason.

Hey, I am having the same problem. Can someone show me step by step how to use drvload.exe "location of driver.inf" and wpeutil initalizenetwork. The drivers are realtek RLT8102

by the way, I am not sure i inserting the message correctly. I am tired.

Hey, I am having the same problem. Can someone show me step by step how to use drvload.exe "location of driver.inf" and wpeutil initalizenetwork. The drivers are realtek RLT8102

by the way, I am not sure i inserting the message correctly. I am tired.

Well those ARE the commands.

drvload e:\folder\driver.inf
wpeutil initializenetwork

You type that in the CMD in Windows PE.