Error while rebuilding image.

FarCry3r

I've been building my own stripped and up-to-date "Product (RED)" version of my Vista Ultimate. It all goes well until today when I try to integrate the following updates/fixes/patches/hotfixes:

KB950124
KB950125
KB950126
KB951978
KB952709
KB955020

the integrating process seems work fine, but when it reach Rebuilding image phase, there's a popup appear says Error while rebuilding image. - The system cannot find the file specified.. What could be the problem? Is it me, vLite or just one of the KBs?

vliteud4.jpg

Edited by FarCry3r

it the "Red-Edition" a modified Vista DVD from Dell? Does the WIM include all Editions or just the Ultimate.

Yes, the Product (RED) from Dell. Since I don't have money to buy that Dell-Microsoft offer, I think I can recreate one from (RED) resources. I got those "(RED) Edition" resources like sidebar gadgets, wallpapers, DS video etc from google (it's not warez, it's available for free!). The WIM only contain Ultimate image, nothing more or less and it works flawlessly fine before I try to integrate those msu files...

Can you please post a file list of that distribution, or send it on my PM.

You can get the list by typing:

dir "FULL PATH TO DVD OR FOLDER" /b /s>c:\list.txt

so it looks like an selfmade "Audit-Mode" version from Dell. You can't use such a version as source. You must use a clean Image from MS.

no it's not self-made "Audit-Mode" version from Dell. It's the original Vista SP1 DVD from MS. I strip other editions except Ultimate and start integrating hotfixes etc manually (by mounting the WIM image). I also made registry tweaks by loading the hive using regedit.

Can you please post a file list of that distribution, or send it on my PM.

You can get the list by typing:

dir "FULL PATH TO DVD OR FOLDER" /b /s>c:\list.txt

since it's my own custom distribution (and vLited), you won't see anything different with any other vLited output

D:\VSP1\Autorun.inf
D:\VSP1\Autounattend.xml
D:\VSP1\boot
D:\VSP1\bootmgr
D:\VSP1\changes.txt
D:\VSP1\efi
D:\VSP1\Last Session.ini
D:\VSP1\sources
D:\VSP1\VistaUltimate.ico
D:\VSP1\boot\bcd
D:\VSP1\boot\boot.sdi
D:\VSP1\boot\bootfix.bin
D:\VSP1\boot\bootsect.exe
D:\VSP1\boot\en-us
D:\VSP1\boot\etfsboot.com
D:\VSP1\boot\fonts
D:\VSP1\boot\memtest.exe
D:\VSP1\boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui
D:\VSP1\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
D:\VSP1\efi\microsoft
D:\VSP1\efi\microsoft\boot
D:\VSP1\efi\microsoft\boot\bcd
D:\VSP1\efi\microsoft\boot\fonts
D:\VSP1\efi\microsoft\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
D:\VSP1\sources\boot.wim
D:\VSP1\sources\install.wim

since it's my own custom distribution (and vLited), you won't see anything different with any other vLited output

I'm not following, can you or can you not use vLite?

Is this an issue of vLiting a previously vLited installation? Have you tried starting fresh, wtihout any tampering from the original DVD?

I'm not following, can you or can you not use vLite?

Is this an issue of vLiting a previously vLited installation? Have you tried starting fresh, wtihout any tampering from the original DVD?

Yes, this is an issue of vLiting a previously vLited source which I vLited myself not Dell or other ppl. Before this, I can integrate any hotfixes (post SP1) without problem even if I already vLited it dozens of time, but not recently with that I-don't-know-what-the-exact-error-is problem. Of course no problem when vLiting from original not-tampered DVD.

And I just want to add before I forgot, before installing Vista SP1 on PC I used to vLiting Vista, vLite crash quite often and produced a BSOD, and seems the WIM filter engine is the cause. After restarting my PC, my Start menu will be rendered useless. But that was fixed in Vista SP1 though.

I've also uploaded the full files/directories listing of the mounted WIM:

http://mihd.net/3l0z7d6

also on the vLited WIM file I already integrated these post-SP1 updates/hotfixes:

- KB905866
- KB937286
- KB938371
- KB941693
- KB943729
- KB947562
- KB947864
- KB948590
- KB948881
- KB950759
- KB950760
- KB950762
- KB951376
- KB951698
- KB952287

Edited by FarCry3r

• 11 months later...

Says this now on Windows 7 final x86.

The file doesn't exist, it seems to rebuild the whole "install.tmp" before it craps out with this error and deletes the .tmp file, before it turns into a .wim file.

EDIT: I think I found the problem - my HDD is full. :thumbup

Edited by LeveL

• 5 weeks later...
Says this now on Windows 7 final x86.

The file doesn't exist, it seems to rebuild the whole "install.tmp" before it craps out with this error and deletes the .tmp file, before it turns into a .wim file.

EDIT: I think I found the problem - my HDD is full. :thumbup

i have the same problem with Windows 7 Enterprise x64 from MSDN.

I still have 13GB left on my HDD.

Anyone knows the solution to this please?

run vLIte -unwim to uninstall the WIM driver, reboot and run vLite again. Now vLite will install WIM driver again.

i tried this and still doesnt work.

What i found out is its only happening on the enterprise version of Windows 7.

run vLIte -unwim to uninstall the WIM driver, reboot and run vLite again. Now vLite will install WIM driver again.

i tried this and still doesnt work.

What i found out is its only happening on the enterprise version of Windows 7.

try install waik for vista sp1