KDW / FCWIN2K

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed the latest KDW.

The 2kdll.dll problem has been fixed, thanks win2000, but the logging off and on problem with user32.dll is still there on my system.

Just to recap, if I log off and on again once in a session, it's fine.

However if I try to log off again in the same session, the system doesn't log off properly, and leaves me with a blank desktop with just the mouse cursor, and never goes any further.

Ctrl>Alt>Delete doesn't do anything, although the keyboard is still live.

It all comes good if the original user32.dll is restored.

Can anyone else using KDW reproduce this problem, or is it just me?

People who are the sole users of their systems may never have seen it of course as they never log off and on again.

I only found it by chance.

Could anyone using KDW just try logging off and on again a couple of times to see if they have the same problem?

Win2000 says that he can't reproduce the problem on his system.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

However if I try to log off again in the same session, the system doesn't log off properly, and leaves me with a blank desktop with just the mouse cursor, and never goes any further.

Hi Dave-H :hello:

However, I have never seen this problem my environment.

Please try to new environment with Windows Update if you can. and checke it occurs again.

It may be from language locale problem.

I'll also try to install MSDN English version at free time enough.

recent news.

I succeeded to installed Safari 4 and Windows Live Writer 2008 and Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition Redistributable Package.

I released iTunes 8.2 driver(for iPod Touch only) and Catalyst 9.6 driver (on my blog) .

Edited by win2000

Hi Dave-H :hello:

However, I have never seen this problem my environment.

Please try to new environment with Windows Update if you can. and checke it occurs again.

It may be from language locale problem.

I'll also try to install MSDN English version at free time enough.

recent news.

I succeeded to installed Safari 4 and Windows Live Writer 2008 and Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Second Edition Redistributable Package.

I released iTunes 8.2 driver(for iPod Touch only) and Catalyst 9.6 driver (on my blog) .

Hi win2000 :hello:

I tried creating a new user profile, but logging off and on with that produced the same problem.

The new profile seemed to be largely a copy of my normal profile though, so I don't know if that actually proved anything. :no:

Is there any way of creating a "clean" new profile that doesn't contain anything but the basics to start up the system?

I suppose most programs install for "all users" by default, so they will always be there in any profile you create.

I have noticed that when the logoff failure occurs, the desktop clears, but then there is a quick burst of hourglass activity on the cursor, and then the system stops.

It must be something in the KDW user32.dll.

If I restore the original I can log off and on as many times as I like.

Would it be possible to use an older version of the user32.dll from KDW, alongside the latest files?

Would that work?

It may be that this hasn't always been a problem, and if I can determine at which version it started, that could be an important clue.

Thanks, Dave.

I decided to give this a try again, and I got Windows Media Player 10 running on my Windows 2000 box. Thanks for all your effort! :hello:

Might I make a suggestion for KDW? I noticed that a lot of the buttons haven't been translated into English. I've received permission to use and distribute a set of free images for buttons, toolbars, and such (from someone who works on another project who would like to remain anonymous :ph34r: ) Anyhow, would you mind maybe trying some of them on certain buttons? That way, even if the text isn't translated, the image could at least tell us something about what it does (e.g. magnifying glass for "Browse..." buttons).

Here's a link to the image files. They're quite good.

http://www.savefile.com/files/2136855

Edited by WildBill

@win2000

Hi again!

I managed to create a "clean" user profile, which is pretty much un-customised, although it does still load the "all users" programs of course.

Just wanted to pass on that the problem with user32.dll is still present logging off and on using that profile, if that signifies anything!

I will do some experiments with earlier versions of the KDW user32.dll when I get around to it, which won't be until next week now.

Dave.

Might I make a suggestion for KDW? I noticed that a lot of the buttons haven't been translated into English.

Hi WildBill.

Where does this Problem occure ?

I think if check English checkbox, The dialog box is translated on KDWInstaller and fcwin.

Mr Win2000. I wanted to make a note, that tonight I have finally achieved success installing Google Chrome 2.0 on my trusty workhorse Windows 2000 workstation! Using your crm2k018.zip tool. I made a detailed post about it here: http://nspeaks.com/348/google-chrome-on-wi.../#comment-10282

Here is the contents of that post:

Hardcore Windows 2000 user here. Since Chrome came out, the only version I could ever get working was 0.2.149.30. I’ve been using the crap out of it for over 6 months. Newer versions always crashed or failed to install.

I am SHOCKED to report SUCCESS tonight installing 2.0.166.1 with blackwingcat’s crm2k018.zip. This whole thing was so **** confusing, especially since I speak English not Japanese. Here is what I did. Googled until I found the full 2.0.166.1 install (sorry I can’t recall where I got it). It is 9MB (NOT 500KB). I renamed that ChromeSetup.exe and put it in my default download folder (goofy requirement of blackwingcat’s hack). Then I ran the crm2k018 CHROME2K.exe hack unpacked in a folder. I had to click each of the buttons from top to bottom. As you proceed, they should light up.

The install itself happens fast and sometimes doesn’t happen at all. Get to your Docs & Settings Local Data Google Chrome Application folder and verify that the new 2.0 EXE is there and installed. I had to run the install a few times before it worked (WTF?).

The last step is “Install USer32/Advpi32/Kernel32 Wrapper” (yeah it has a typo, not very confidence-inspiring…). After that you MUST reboot. Then try launching the new Chrome exe right out of the app directory (in your Docs & Settings Local Settings).

I’m thinking about writing a high quality, native-English, edited web page for this problem so nobody else has to waste 2 hours like I just did!

Hello!

> Using your crm2k018.zip tool

There is a new version: crm2k019.zip

Blackwingcat says:

July 1, 2009 at 2:43 pmI released Google Chrome installer for Win2000 v 1.9

New function

The Google Chrome can’t install with overwrite older version. I add a button to delete version information.

after version 1.8 . you don’t have to rename from Mini_Installer.exe to ChromeSetup.exe .

The ‘Set Compatible Registry’ Button support Mini_Installer.exe

BTW, was someone able to install SRware Iron, which is based on Chromium 2.0.178 (build 15300)?

http://jeff-duntemann.livejournal.com/194845.html

Thanks, Roman

P.S. Here is another WebKit based browser in single executable: QTWeb

http://www.qtweb.net/download.php It is working in Windows 2000. :)

Edited by modicr

Hello!

> Using your crm2k018.zip tool

There is a new version: crm2k019.zip

Blackwingcat says:

July 1, 2009 at 2:43 pmI released Google Chrome installer for Win2000 v 1.9

New function

The Google Chrome can’t install with overwrite older version. I add a button to delete version information.

after version 1.8 . you don’t have to rename from Mini_Installer.exe to ChromeSetup.exe .

The ‘Set Compatible Registry’ Button support Mini_Installer.exe

BTW, was someone able to install SRware Iron, which is based on Chromium 2.0.178 (build 15300)?

http://jeff-duntemann.livejournal.com/194845.html

Thanks, Roman

P.S. Here is another WebKit based browser in single executable: QTWeb

http://www.qtweb.net/download.php It is working in Windows 2000. :)

Thanks for this new version! I had to search for quite a while to find it, so many 404 broken links pointing to your old blog. Here is a direct link for other readers: http://w2k.livedoor.biz/arc/crm2k019.zip

I checked out the QtWeb: Awesome!! Thank you for showing me this!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this new version! I had to search for quite a while to find it, so many 404 broken links pointing to your old blog. Here is a direct link for other readers: http://w2k.livedoor.biz/arc/crm2k019.zip

I checked out the QtWeb: Awesome!! Thank you for showing me this!

Hi.

The domain was stopped http://w2k.livedoor.biz on 1st Jul.

My url is http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hey win2000/blackwingcat,

Just letting you know; letting KDW set the ExcludeFromKnownDlls value breaks Daedalus. It also breaks ICONDESK's transparent desktop icon labels (continuous flickering).

However, without it Windows Media Player 10 will not work. :(

It also messes up the Start Menu's icons, but no other icons that I found were affected.

Btw, you should update the first post to 078e.

As well as the KDWINST file, it says 074. :)

Edited by Colonel O'Neill