KDW / FCWIN2K

Hi,

Do you use other KDW Dlls ?

If it is so, please copy to Norton Protected Recycle Bin service folder ,original DLLs.

At startup, it puts up an error message which says -

You can uninstall WMP10 with tha way to following method.

Reinstall WMP10 for Win2k and it detects WMP component.

if you allow delete and cancel next step.

then you can install WMP9 again.

(Not need KDW.)

I do have a couple of issues with that though, which I'd appreciate your feedback on.

Firstly, I now have no video preview thumbnails in the Windows Explorer, which I did have when WMP 9 was installed.

I quite like them and would like them back.

Do you know why they have gone and how to restore them?

I heard these functions isn't WMP10 extention but Windows XP's one.

But there may be the way to add the menu our media players. :rolleyes:

We try to find the related dlls might be worth.

The other thing that I'm puzzled at is that fact that there is no "Play Speed Settings" option under the "Enhancements " menu of my player. I've always been annoyed with WMP 9 that there is no frame by frame jog facility, and I thought that had been added in WMP 10.

It mentions it in the help file, but it isn't actually there on my player.

Any idea why?

Thanks again win2000.

:)

I was coming to the conclusion myself that the variable play speed option in WMP was an OS version based enhancement, and nothing to do with the player version.

In fact something I read on the MS site implied that it is in fact there in WMP 9 if you use it under XP.

That being the case, there isn't a lot of point in me having WMP 10 on my system.

It looks a bit prettier than WMP 9, but if it doesn't actually give me any extra facilities when run under Windows 2000, there isn't any real advantage in having it.

The mobile devices management facility didn't seem to work either.

A new icon for it appeared in my Windows Control Panel, but it wouldn't actually do anything.

I have no mobile devices anyway, so I won't miss it!

I have uninstalled WMP 10 successfully, and gone back to 9.

Can I just ask one more thing about Quicktime 7.5?

It is working perfectly except for one thing.

I don't know if you have the "pro" version.

If you haven't you probably haven't run into this issue as the facility isn't there on the free version.

There is a facility to apply a mask to movies in the "movie properties" dialogue in Quicktime 7.

This has always worked fine for me, and I do in fact use it quite a lot.

I now find with 7.5 on Windows 2000 that it doesn't work anymore.

When I try to add a mask to a movie, the application always immediately crashes.

Norton Crashguard reports "QuickTimePlayer caused fault #c0000005 in QTOControl.dll".

Strangely, with movies which have been masked previously the mask can be changed without any crash.

However if the mask is removed completely and the movie re-saved, it crashes if I try to add the mask again.

Any ideas on this?

QTOControl.dll seems to be what interfaces QT with the OS, so it could well be that the problem does indeed lie there.

It is odd that everything seems to work perfectly except for that one function though.

The only other slight anomaly I've noticed is that if you save a movie from the browser plug-in (again only possible with the "pro" version) when you save it puts up the save dialogue correctly, but on pressing "save" it saves the file but then pops up the save dialogue a second time! In fact it pops up the previous save folder that was used, not the last one, which is very odd. This isn't a severe problem obviously, but may be a clue as to what's happening elsewhere.

Sorry to keep coming up with problems, I think you've done a great job getting these things to work on a supposedly incompatible OS in the first place, but if it's something easy to fix I thought you should know.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi, Dave-H

* About WMP10

It seems completely same WMP9 and WMP 10 between Win2k and WinXP in binary level.

and Win2k also loaded the component from registry base setting.

I found it relates DMO ( DirectX Media Object).

for example Direct Input completely wasn't installed in Windows 2000.

I may be able to find difference there ;)

I'll go on to research it.

* About quicktime

Unfortunately, I don't have QT Pro.

If you copy qt folder debug version kernel32.dll (in krnld028a.zip)

It output some information to debug monitor.

post-194613-1219796094_thumb.png

You can use whatever Debug monitor as you can get.

Thanks Ascii2.

Managed to extract the kernel32.dll file OK once I knew that it wasn't actually a zip archive, despite the file extension!

:thumbup

win2000, I put the debug kernel32.dll into the QuickTime folder, along with kernel2k.dll, and got some crash logs out of Dr. Watson and Norton Crashguard.

How much use they are to you, I don't know.

The Norton one certainly seems to be pretty basic.

There is also a "user.dmp" crash dump file from Dr. Watson, but it's large (46MB) so I haven't included it.

It is strange that the Norton2.txt log references "E:\Dump Folder\Video Masks\quicktim.exe".

That folder is the folder where my masks are stored, NOT where the quicktim.exe (which is quicktimeplayer.exe in fact) program file is kept, so I don't know what's happening there.........

See if the crash logs shed any light on what's happening.

If not, I may try using earlier versions of QT7 and see if they display the same problem.

Thanks, Dave.

Edited by Dave-H

Hi.

Thx Ascii2.

I replaced the correct file.

Debug version kernel32.dll user OutputDebugString. and outputs to debugger many information.

Please use any debugger and show the output,Dave-H. :yes:

I tried with windbg and that gave some information but I don't think it's much more than I got from Dr. Watson.

I'm sorry but debugging isn't something that I'm at all experienced with!

Anyway, I decided to try earlier versions of QuickTime to see if they had the same problems.

I went back to 7.4.5 and that was exactly the same as 7.5.

I then rolled back to 7.4.1, and everything worked perfectly!

:thumbup

Apple must have done something between these two version to cause the problem with the masks.

The double save window pop-up when saving from the browser plugin has gone away too!

I think I'll leave it at that.

I'm very pleased to have gone three versions on from the last one that was supposed to work with Windows 2000, and I doubt if the next two versions (7.4.5 and 7.5.0) give anything extra really worthwhile.

Thanks for all your help, and keep on getting those non-2000 applications to work for us!

You're doing a great job!

:yes:

Hi again Win2000,

I've now got all my main system files replaced with your versions.

I managed to fix the Norton problem by using your Ez Install mode and putting the older 5.0.2195.7135 kernel32.dll into the folder with the Norton executable files, with version 5.1.2599.28 of kernel2k.dll.

That works fine.

I now have another problem!

I have AVS Video Tools 5.6 installed, and I use the video converter program a lot.

It's supposed to work with Windows 2000 and XP.

Now if I run it, I just get an error message -

AVSMEDIA

An internal exception occurred (Address: 0xb)

Please, contact support@avsmedia.com. Thank you!

This goes away and it works again if I put the original kernel32.dll back into my system32 folder.

I have tried using the same trick as I did with the Norton utilities, but it won't work with this program.

I can make the error message go away, the program runs and appears as a running task in Task Manager, but nothing ever appears on the screen.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks yet again.

Dave.

Hi

Umm, I saw simular message on nProtect by SoftWin.

A dialog appares, when this software detected kernel hook.

I think that it uses same technology or OEM software.

I will check AVS.

But my main note PC,which was used for development broke last week with the overheat.

Please wait till I buy new PC ;)

I'll buy a Latitude E4200 this month, and try to install Win2k, and construct the development environment.

I have AVS Video Tools 5.6 installed, and I use the video converter program a lot.

AVSMEDIA

How to run Google Chrome.

It is easy.

You set XP compatible mode with fcwin to ChromeSetup.exe, GoogleUpdate.exe, chrome_installer.exe, and setup.exe.

If it is diffecult for you, you can download simple installer script 'chrome2k.zip' from 'Google Chrome for Win2000'

Related(Japanese)

fcwin and XP compatible mode

Google Chrome for Win2000

Hi

Umm, I saw simular message on nProtect by SoftWin.

A dialog appares, when this software detected kernel hook.

I think that it uses same technology or OEM software.

I will check AVS.

But my main note PC,which was used for development broke last week with the overheat.

Please wait till I buy new PC ;)

I'll buy a Latitude E4200 this month, and try to install Win2k, and construct the development environment.

AVSMEDIA

Thanks win2000.

Sorry to hear about the death of your PC.

:(

I hope you're up and running again soon!

If you want to test AVS Video Converter you can download it here -

http://www.avsmedia.com/videotools/download.aspx

Win2000, please bear with my lame questioning (as I'm not sure I got it right and don't want to risk a mistake) :

does your replacement system work for all localised versions of Win 2k SP4 (I have the French version), or is it applicable only to US English and Chinese or Japanese windozes exclusively ? If the latter, what is required in order to produce a French version ?

Regards

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

Amazing! Run WMP 10 in windows 2000! :P

Does this will also able my windows 2000 to run live messenger? And also latest movie maker?

edit:\\

How can I register new dlls with program? Also how can modify portuguese live messenger to work with windows 2000 with it?

Thanks.

p.s. I also believe this will work with games..? So I may be able to play Football manager 2008 in windows 2000 and other ones. :P

Edited by Meados