TCP\IP Not Working

joe43wv

I'm working on a system that is having major problems. It's a Windows XP Home Ed. system, the guy called and said he was unable to connect to his DSL so he called Verizon. After calling them it started working, then the next day nothing worked. Now it won't DHCP or even able to connect to Verizon through a static IP. When I hook it up to a router with DHCP services it only shows 0.0.0.0 no real address. I checked the router and the router is fine. I thought it was the NIC so I swapped NIC's and still the same thing. Norton antivirus even pops up with an error stating I need to disable my e-mail scanner since TCP/IP is not installed. So I repaired the installation of XP feature on the CD where it reinstalls the OS while keeping all your files and settings and still no luck. Any ideas?

I've a few ideas, and they're all kind of out there. (Kids, don't stay up late poking through your computer.) Before you do anything, check the ethernet cord. It may look good, and it may be fooling you. Try it with a different machine. If it's good, by all means, continue.

First, then dead simple one which you might have already tried.

1. Open Control Panel -> Network Connections, right-click on the Local Area Connection, and hit properties.

2. This connection uses the following options:

........a. Client for Microsoft Networks

........b. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

........c. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

If anything's missing, hit the install button, and pick through them until you find the one you need. Reboot if necessary.

Second: Services.

Windows+R (Run)->services.msc

I don't recall which services you need aside from DHCP client, but this page will help: http://www.overclock.net/windows/73234-twe...rvices-msc.html

Third: TCP/IP device

I won't go into why I know of this little bastard's existence. I'm trying to repress the memories.

Windows+R (Run)->devmgmt.msc

View->Show Hidden Devices

Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers

Right click TCP/IP Protocol Driver

Make sure it's enabled, then go into properties.

Under the driver tab, make sure it's started with Startup Type: System

Here's what my steps would be:

(I'm assuming this is a WIRED connection).

1. Check router -- use 2nd computer if available. If it connects, router is OK.

2. Check cable -- use 2nd computer if available. If it connects, cable is OK. (goes along with step 1). Once you can eliminate these two sources, on to the computer.

3. If IPCONFIG shows an IP of 0.0.0.0, this is strange, but probably means that the NIC device is at least turned on, but I would check that in device manager anyway.

4. A simple DHCP failure will usually result in a 169.x.x.x address, not a 0.0.0.0 address, which may indicate that the NIC is not detecting the connection at all. Are there connection lights on the device where the cable plugs in?

5. Did you check the TCP/IP settings to make sure that a static IP hasn't been set?

6. If you've done all of this (and everything else sugguested in other posts) and it still doesn't work, post your findings to these steps here.

Also, see this.

Edited by TheFlash428

Okay here's the update:

The connection settings have everything setup right.

Driver startup is correct

The router is fine, the NIC is fine

NO static IP

Everything on Microsoft checks out fine.

When I ran the netsh int ip command I got the error:

"initialization function

inithelperdll in IPMONTR.dll failed to start with error

code 10107"

Any ideas?

BTW I installed Norton 2008 for him the other day but it worked for about a month since then.

When I ran the netsh int ip command I got the error:

"initialization function

inithelperdll in IPMONTR.dll failed to start with error

code 10107"

# for decimal 10107 / hex 0x277b
WSASYSCALLFAILURE winerror.h
# A system call that should never fail has failed.

I'd honestly suggest either a system restore to when it worked, or to remove all antivirus/firewalls/network drivers and reinstall the NIC drivers. Then, run the following from a command prompt as an administrator:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Once this completes, reboot and check to see if connectivity is working again.

Okay I did that and still get the same error. I went to check the windows firewall and it said that windows firewall was not started, so when I told it to start it it errored out and said unable to start windows firewall. The cmd command came back with the EXACT same error message.

And this is why I don't use Norton. =P

No, seriously. Have any of y'all had any luck with it? It seems like it's gone to pot, sitting on its laurels, expecting money for the sake of being Norton. For whatever reason, most folks I know with Norton still get BAD virus infections. But I'd rather not start a debate on the subject. I'm just saying "This has been my (late and recent) experience." (I've got to clean up a mess for a friend on Friday.)

I'm not a big fan or Norton, was back when 98 first came out, but over the years it's gone down hill. That's why I turn to free alternatives, once you uninstall you don't have to uninstall again.

And this is why I don't use Norton. =P

No, seriously. Have any of y'all had any luck with it? It seems like it's gone to pot, sitting on its laurels, expecting money for the sake of being Norton. For whatever reason, most folks I know with Norton still get BAD virus infections. But I'd rather not start a debate on the subject. I'm just saying "This has been my (late and recent) experience." (I've got to clean up a mess for a friend on Friday.)

I have to agree...Norton (symantec) seems to be a lot better at telling me I'm infected than actually preventing it, but I try to use good practices anyway. (Forced to use symantec corp ed at work).

• 3 weeks later...

2. Check cable -- use 2nd computer if available. If it connects, cable is OK. (goes along with step 1). Once you can eliminate these two sources, on to the computer.

3. If IPCONFIG shows an IP of 0.0.0.0, this is strange, but probably means that the NIC device is at least turned on, but I would check that in device manager anyway.

4. A simple DHCP failure will usually result in a 169.x.x.x address, not a 0.0.0.0 address, which may indicate that the NIC is not detecting the connection at all. Are there connection lights on the device where the cable plugs in?

5. Did you check the TCP/IP settings to make sure that a static IP hasn't been set?

6. If you've done all of this (and everything else sugguested in other posts) and it still doesn't work, post your findings to these steps here.

Also, see this.

0.0.0.0 usually means no connection at all.

I'd honestly suggest either a system restore to when it worked, or to remove all antivirus/firewalls/network drivers and reinstall the NIC drivers.
Update: I found the fix guys, it was an old installation of Norton Anti-virus causing the problem.

Always watch out for those, which is why I suggested removing them :).

Also, see this.

0.0.0.0 usually means no connection at all.

Exactly.