[request] nLite: remove old SPx.cab and SPx.cat files

msdemich

Would it hurt anything to remove these? If you have SP3, you dont need sp2.cab or sp2.cat do you?

Can there be an option to remove WIN51IC.SP2, the .HTM files, autorun.inf and setup.exe from the root folder?

Thanks for considering this.

Yes, and I could manually remove the David Byrne song, language files, manual install, and drivers as well. I already know how to do this; thats beside the point. The purpose of nLite was to make it easy to remove pieces of windows; to save scripts for the future so you dont have to type out bigs lists of what to keep and take away, or worse, try to keep them all stright in your head. (Mine are about 500 lines of settings, including reg tweaks) I submit that those little pieces I mentioned above, (SP2CAB, SP2.CAT, etc.) weigh-in from about 1 Meg to about 21 Meg, and are in 99% cases unneeded, and are commonly removed. I bet that most of those with SP3 that don't remove those files probably don't know that they can be safely removed.

If nLite will let me select several <40kb files for removal, why not a couple more 500KB files? Isn't this sort of thing EXACTLY what nLite is for?

Yes, and I could manually remove the David Byrne song, language files, manual install, and drivers as well. I already know how to do this; thats beside the point. The purpose of nLite was to make it easy to remove pieces of windows; to save scripts for the future so you dont have to type out bigs lists of what to keep and take away, or worse, try to keep them all stright in your head. (Mine are about 500 lines of settings, including reg tweaks) I submit that those little pieces I mentioned above, (SP2CAB, SP2.CAT, etc.) weigh-in from about 1 Meg to about 21 Meg, and are in 99% cases unneeded, and are commonly removed. I bet that most of those with SP3 that don't remove those files probably don't know that they can be safely removed.

If nLite will let me select several <40kb files for removal, why not a couple more 500KB files? Isn't this sort of thing EXACTLY what nLite is for?

So basically you are saying make it autodelete old cabs on slipstream and any removal?

Gonna check that.

Edited by nuhi