Desktop Freezes When Closing IE6 SP1

This has been an on going problem, first the basics:

Ram: 384MB

Browser: Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Version: 6.0.2800.1106

Java: J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 Update 13

Shockwave Version: 10.1.4r21

Flash Player Version: 9.0.124.0

The problem exists when closing certain websites. After closing certain websites and IE6 and return to the desktop, the desktop freezes. After a minute or more, the desktop becomes operable again and returns to normal. During the freeze time, if I click on a desktop icon, the hour glass appears and nothing happens till whatever is closing is done closing, or, whatever log is being written is done being written. This only happens when closing certain websites. I have reinstalled the OS, have reinstalled IE6 from a disk. Switched a long time ago from Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine to Java Runtime Enviroment.

Someone told me this is an inherent problem with IE6 and older OS's like Windows 98SE/ME because of memory and resources issues with these older 64 KB resource limits. What you get is "resource drain" which causes problems similar to what I am experiencing. Read here: http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/resource.php

The problem is, I am not so sure that is my problem, because the problem exists ONLY on certain websites.

Anyone have any input?

Edited by bearsowner