stuck in start up loop after SP 3 install

trishta

Automatic updates recommended a SP 3 update. I did this 7/10 ever since I have been unable to log on to my computer. I am stuck in the start up loop. First screen is where I choose the OS then next screen is Safe Mode and so on. I am unable to do last know good configuration only safe mode. I go to safe mode and control panel to remove SP3 When I do this it state that it was unable to find SP3. I also cannot do system restore it states that my computer is not protected when I try this. Help! I would be willing to do recovery but I do not want to lose all of my documents and pictures. If I do recovery will I lose all information on hard drive?????? I have a HP Pavillion system with intel pentium 4.

An HP machine - did you get a recovery CD with it, or is there just a recovery partition on the hard disk?

You should get support from HP if it was supplied pre-installed as OEM, they should be able to guide you through the steps to get to a recovery console, rename & run spuninst.bat to perform a manual rollback.

You may be able to get a free support incident with Microsoft as it's an issue caused by the installation of a service pack - though I don't know the boundaries when it comes to OEM (you may be directed to your OEM for first line).

You could copy away your personal files in Safe Mode now to ensure that you have at least some kind of backup, in the event it all goes horribly wrong.

There was an issue with some AMD chips having an Intel driver applied by SP3 which caused a reboot loop (on systems with reboot on BSOD enabled). Perhaps if you disable reboot on BSOD you can read the STOP code on the BSOD screen and find out if this is your issue. Just an idea!

Edited by JedMeister