Graphics problems with Carmageddon II

sam13484

I have two computers. The first one has on-board graphics (ATI Radeon Xpress 200M series). The second one has PCIe card (nvidia 8800GT).

Playing Carmageddon II under Windows XP on the ATI machine, the display looks great (see picture #1). When I play the game under Windows XP on the nvidia machine, the menu backgrounds are heavily pixelated, as are any scenes where the action takes place under water. See picture 32. Everything else looks good.

For a long time, I thought the problem might be the graphics adapter difference. However, if I run Carmageddon II on the nvidia system, this time using VISTA, instead of XP, the graphics problem is gone and everything looks great. Again, see picture #1.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone, who might have a solution for this. I'd like to be able to run the game on the nvidia computer, under XP, and not have the pixelated items that take away some of the enjoyment of the game.

Thanks.

post-34324-1216490027_thumb.jpg

I found a site that mentioned "forcing Carmageddon 2, to run in 32-bit color, would fix the problem. Anyone know how to force the game to run is this mode. I think it normally runs in 16-bit color.