cmdlines.txt help

Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me crazy.

Try the idea that Yzöwl offers. If it fails then could you explain your setup some more so we may try to help you better.

Some unknowns to consider

[*]Are you using "OEMPreInstall=Yes" in Winnt.sif and adding these installers to "$OEM$\$1\COOL_STUFF" ?

[*]What does OemPreInstall.cmd contain or do ?

[*]Your installers use no switches so are they SFX archives that use a suitable extract and execute setup method ?

How do I figure out if I have a SFX archives or if I need switches? I believe it is a SFX archive.

Other than the obvious way, which is to test it, then you can just extract it and look what it contains(if it can be extracted with 7-Zip or WinRAR).

If you don't know what too look for, then load the executable into WinRAR(if you can) and look at the archive properties/details(or what it's called, i myself always use 7-Zip) and if it's not a WinRAR SFX, then do a final check with Oleg Scherbakov's 7z SFX Archive Splitter, which you can get from his homepages download section : http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/download.html

Other than the obvious way, which is to test it, then you can just extract it and look what it contains(if it can be extracted with 7-Zip or WinRAR).

If you don't know what too look for, then load the executable into WinRAR(if you can) and look at the archive properties/details(or what it's called, i myself always use 7-Zip) and if it's not a WinRAR SFX, then do a final check with Oleg Scherbakov's 7z SFX Archive Splitter, which you can get from his homepages download section : http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/download.html

My winrar is a Solid SFX RAR archive and my 7-zip is a SFX RAR archive. Is that good or bad?

Try this:

COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD

@Start "" /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\7-Zip-v4.42.exe
@Start "" /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\WinRAR-v3.71.exe

Start should at least be recognized!

Or a little more 'error trapping':

COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD

@Echo off
Pushd %SystemDrive%\Cool_Stuff 2>%SystemDrive%\C_S.log||Goto :Eof
For %%# In (7-Zip-v4.42 WinRAR-v3.71) Do (If Exist %%#.exe (
Start "" /wait %%#.exe) Else (>>%SystemDrive%\C_S.log Echo:%%# did not exist))
Popd

If you have a C_S.log file in the root your system drive then there was a problem finding the installation files.

It made the log, but there was no text in the log. So I assume it found it right?

My winrar is a Solid SFX RAR archive and my 7-zip is a SFX RAR archive. Is that good or bad?

They are both SFX archives then i.e. silent switchless installers...

So is that good or bad? What would be good to do next?

So is that good or bad? What would be good to do next?

Good or bad ??? It hasen't got anything to do with your issue, if that's what you mean...

I don't know what the problem is, i'm affraid...

I was wondering if I had my cmdline.txt setup right

[Commands]
"OemPreinstall.cmd"
"REGEDIT /S SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.REG"
"COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD"
"REGEDT32.EXE /S SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.REG"
"SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.cmd"

I was also wondering if I had my COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD setup right for a SFX archive? You guys were saying something about needing switches.

pause
"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\7-Zip-v4.42.exe"
"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\WinRAR-v3.71.exe"
pause

I also tried these 2 methods.

@Start "" /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\7-Zip-v4.42.exe
@Start "" /wait %SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\WinRAR-v3.71.exe

@Echo off
Pushd %SystemDrive%\Cool_Stuff 2>%SystemDrive%\C_S.log||Goto :Eof
For %%# In (7-Zip-v4.42 WinRAR-v3.71) Do (If Exist %%#.exe (
Start "" /wait %%#.exe) Else (>>%SystemDrive%\C_S.log Echo:%%# did not exist))
Popd

It made C_S.log, but there was nothing in the log.

I was wondering if I had my cmdline.txt setup right

[Commands]
"OemPreinstall.cmd"
"REGEDIT /S SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.REG"
"COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD"
"REGEDT32.EXE /S SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.REG"
"SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.cmd"

Remove the REGEDT32.EXE part and since your test is finished then also remove 'SHOW_OPERATING_FILES.cmd'...

I was also wondering if I had my COMPRESSION_STUFF.CMD setup right for a SFX archive? You guys were saying something about needing switches.

pause
"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\7-Zip-v4.42.exe"
"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\COOL_STUFF\WinRAR-v3.71.exe"
pause

I didn't say that, btw... The commands are right for SFX archives, since you don't need switches for those, but even if there was a need for switches(if the apps weren't SFX archives), then you would see an installer popping up anyway, which you didn't, so the problem lied in another place...

The syntax is right if you're having the SFX archives in '\$OEM$\$1\COOL_STUFF\' and if you have 'OemPreinstall=Yes' under '[unattended]' in '\I386\WINNT.SIF'

Since you have 'pause' commands before and after the app installs - for testing, then what where the cmd output ?

The syntax is right if you're having the SFX archives in '\$OEM$\$1\COOL_STUFF\' and if you have 'OemPreinstall=Yes' under '[unattended]' in '\I386\WINNT.SIF'

Since you have 'pause' commands before and after the app installs - for testing, then what where the cmd output ?

I saw it say it was running, but for some really frustrating reason it didn't install.