Is there a Virtual Machine that can run Win98/2k?

p7s7x9

Let me ask ya, you can't see how this could ever cause hardware problems of any sort? Before it happened to me, I used multiple VMs on one machine... got multiple Linux VMs, Mac VMs, DOS VMs, and then I also run multiple emulators within each VM.... 2gigs ram can hold a whole bunch of 64meg VMs...

(seriously, no one can see this happening?? I *really* don't think heat alone is what killed it- I took it for granted the timers got all screwy)

Methinks it was a dodgy motherboard...

awesome.

er... well, awesome to have such a large consensus on that particular bandwagon...

I had since stopped using my beloved VMs for everything... but since y'all are so sure (and I just figured it was 'open-and-shut'), I believe ya. I won't be fearful of 'over doing it' with the VMs...

I just bought a temp sensor with lcd panel... it is in F, not C... oh well, at least it takes accurate readings... (found out most MoBo sensors have an unknown temp offset)

(I'm one of those weirdos that likes to run something in something else... over and over again... Vm in VM in VM in VM running an Amiga 500 emu that is running another emu... thought maybe that was *bad*, but you say hardware issue... better news)

The clock issue is a red herring. If you've ever hung out in or searched the VMware forums you would see there is usually a fairly steady trickle of questions about guest, and sometimes host, clocks losing and/or gaining time.

The number of VMs you were running is also a bit of a red herring. If you had 'overloaded' the machine you would have see two effects, an apparent slowdown, ie. host and VMs would have appeared less responsive, and the hardware would have run a bit hotter.

I honestly don't know of anything which can damage a CPU other than the Terrible Twins - Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) and Heat.

Is there a Virtual Machine that can run Win98/2k? I'm currently using WinXP SP2 and the one I downloaded from MS Website doesn't have 98/2k on its list of bootable OSes. I need it for experimenting purposes. I would really appreciate your replies.

Maybe I've missed something here, but why don't you make your own bootable virtual 98 system. I have VirtualPC 5.1 on one of my SE test systems. A standard 98FE install CD ran on it just fine and installed a normal virtual OS. It saved normally. I can load it whenever I want, install apps on it for testing, etc. Haven't tried installing a virtual 2K system yet, but don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Regarding the clock losing time, I didn't see that using VirtualPC, even on my slow hardware. It did happen on rare occasions when I was downloading multiple files with a download manager and had an AV scanning files "on access", holding the processor at 100%. The mouse movement was very choppy. Nothing would work properly until I either stopped the downloads or disabled the resident AV. The clock went back to the correct time when I rebooted.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

Running VirtualPC with a 98 guest system shouldn't cause overheating or 100% processor usage, unless you've got something else that's conflicting. At this moment, I'm posting with IE6 on a virtual 98FE box, running on a 98SE host. Nothing is getting hot. Processor usage is averaging 40 to 45%. With a 366mhz Celeron in the host OS, the guest system is quite slow, but both are working normally.

Rick

So, uh, seeing that running VMs increases CPU Heat and all, is it safe to run it on a 8 year old P4 2.0 GHz Processor with only 512 DDR2 RAM? And regarding this CPUIdle thing, on their website, it says "You can try CpuIdle for 30 days. If you come to the conclusion that you want to use either program after that time you must register". If I can't pay their 30$ fee, would I still be able to use it after 30 days? If not, should I stop using a VM? And which VM really is the best for running Win98SE and Win2k? (no need for ME/NT/other versions)

Additional questions: Where SHOULD I install CPUIdle? My main OS or the VM OS? And how do I transfer files from the PC to the VM?

Edited by p7s7x9

Let us clear this thing:

A PROPERLY WORKING PC, PROPERLY COOLED, NOT BLATANTLY OVERCLOCKED, CAN WORK AT 100% CPU LOAD FOR EXTREMELY LONG PERIODS OF TIME WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE TO THE MOTHERBOARD, CPU OR ANYTHING.

But of course, Murphy's Law is ALWAYS lurking around trying to prove itself true once again. ;)

You should check and double check that fans are working properly, that the CPU is well seated as well as it's cooler, that there is a good heat transmission between the CPU and the cooler (apply/replace thermal paste if needed).

But the above you should do ANYWAY.

jaclaz

With 98SE, I'm pretty much limited to using VirtualPC 5.1 so I can't help with the "which is best" questions. VirtualPC will run 98 and 2K guest systems with no problems. It also has the ability to let you transfer files between the real and virtual systems.

Somehow I managed to delete my image of the 98SE testbox that had VirtualPC installed, so I made a new one last night, along with a 2K guest system. Neither is completely finished at the moment, lots of updating to do, but they're working well. My system is older and has much lower specs than yours, 366mhz, 160MB RAM. There are no problems with excess heat, memory, or processor usage from using Virtual PC, or any other app I've tried.

A Screenshot of Win2K running in VirtualPC on 98SE. The screenshot was taken on the 98host, then transferred and uploaded with the 2K guest. Both Process Explorer and MemUse are running on the host system to show that it is not being overworked. An app like CPUIdle shouldn't be necessary.

Rick

A 366MHz Celeron runs at room temperature no matter what you do to it...

I can live with that. ;) Natural abuse resistance.

It probably helps not having the outer case on as well. Wide open air flow. I swap hard drives so often that the case just gets in the way. The last time I never put it back on.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

I tried installing Win98SE on MS's VirtualPC 2007. For some reason, the bootdisk for Win98SE from www.bootdisk.com doesn't seem to work with it, with the VM saying its file size is wrong. What should I do?

I tried installing Win98SE on MS's VirtualPC 2007. For some reason, the bootdisk for Win98SE from www.bootdisk.com doesn't seem to work with it, with the VM saying its file size is wrong. What should I do?

The Windows 98 CD should be bootable by itself. It shouldn't need a floppy.

The OEM 98 cd was a boot cd but the retail versions were not. They need a Window 98 Startup floppy or the same I suppose on a cd image of one.

Oh well, mine was... And as far as i remember my dad bought it separately, it didn't come with the computer (it wasn't an OEM computer anyway), so i suppose it was retail... But i might as well be wrong, it's been a while since i've seen that disc, i only used my backup copy in the last few years.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

To my experience, running DOS in any VM software causes 100% processor usage, but not necessarily Windows 98 (not on Virtual PC anyway).

Also, on MS-DOS, I find that using POWER.EXE in config.sys to be more effective than CPUIdle (for the best results, you can use both at the same time ;) ), because CPUIdle only kicks in while on command prompt, but your processor will go back up to 100% as soon as you execute anything. POWER.EXE, on the other hand, is more generic.