A year later, Vista SP1 or XP SP3

iwod

A year later, Vista SP1 or XP SP3  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vista Good enough yet?

• I am Sticking to XP
    • Vista is great!

I am wondering what is the general opinion on Vista now. I have been switching between for the past months. Sometime i feel XP is better sometimes i feel Vista is great and smooth.

So What do you think?

I think Vista works great if you have the system for it. Just ordered a ThinkPad T61 with 2.4 GHz C2D and 4 gigs of ram, 320 gig drive, so this should be great. I have it running on a 2.0 GHz C2D with 4 gigs of ram now and it works great. A few small application compatibility issues but other than that it's great, I have ways around them.

After a 6 month trial on a P4 2.8GHz with 2GB RAM and a GeForce 7800, I re-installed XP a couple of days ago. I liked Vista, but it just wasn't fast enough with my older build. And there's still something wrong with file copy, because every now and then, a very small (kb) file will take minutes to copy.

I'll install it on my next system and see if things go better with a multi-core processor.

am running vista and xp on a dual boot system. I still prefer xp over vista, vista is smooth and feels good, but still there are many issues, and too many Unnecessary applications, services and too many Dependencies on each services. Vlite does the trick and makes it run better than XP, but i prefere a clean out of box stable fast OS, and thats not vista, its XP

XP SP3 MY VOTE!

I've assessed two different Vista products on a range of hardware, took me nearly a month, and I would have to say it's not ready for the corporate environment. Even SP1 hasn't addressed more than a fraction of the issues I found. It's also horrendously overbloated with stuff that we will never use. It's far worse than W2k or XP in that regard. We will be sticking with W2k and XP for the forseeable future. We may even skip Vista altogether and wait for 'Windows 7'. Not that I expect that to be much better :no:

I've assessed two different Vista products on a range of hardware, took me nearly a month, and I would have to say it's not ready for the corporate environment. Even SP1 hasn't addressed more than a fraction of the issues I found. It's also horrendously overbloated with stuff that we will never use. It's far worse than W2k or XP in that regard. We will be sticking with W2k and XP for the forseeable future. We may even skip Vista altogether and wait for 'Windows 7'. Not that I expect that to be much better :no:

waiting for windows 7 will not help you much since it will based on vista source code anyway. Problems you have with vista may or may not still present in Windows 7 and you will run into more compatibility problems in 7 as well if you wait to upgrade application/hardware etc. playing the waiting game with technology hoping the next version will be easier to use is a double edge sword.

i love my xp.

i've tried vista and i just cant get the feel for it. I find it so much harder to navigate through menus and even finding the easy stuff like network connections.

the bad thing is that I am in the IT field....so eventually i will have to get down and dirty with vista and learn all the new troubleshooting techniques that i've mastered with xp.

XP. My games are faster, runs fine otherwise. I only have a XP 3200+ (Barton) & Nforce 2.

Although there are some little things of Vista I like, like when copying multiple files the whole thing won't stop because of an error with one file, but I don't understand why something like that isn't in XP or why they haven't' fixed the tooltip problem in XP when the problem was known well before XP's release.

Edited by redxii