Team of Developers for XPize & Vize continuation

Happy-Dude

This is great, guys !!

Alright, so first things are to organize this "team" into groups (I think it should be volunteers):

--Programmers/ Coders/ Source Code editors for the program itself

As pointed out before, we should have a few, maybe like 2-3 (or more if they desire), so the project can be organized and smooth going, while also not putting so much pressure into a single developer

--Designers/ Artists for high-quality new icons to replace the old icons

I think we need to find some dedicated artists for this, maybe some at deviantart. Also, is there desire for different "styles" other than the ones XPero designed? If so, we should have some artists continue XPero's designs and perhaps others to start something new?

--Volunteers to find old and stubby icons Microsoft forgot about

I think this category will (and perhaps should?) have the most people involved in. We probably should organize the group with a forum post with information on what's corrected, what's discovered, and what is being worked on. A sort of scavenger hunt management thing :) !!

-------------------

Is that all? Is there any need for any other organization stuff? I believe I fit best with the Volunteers group. I am very amuterish with programming, and I think i know my ways around the OS well enough :) .

As for the hunt for old-style icons, Vize could have perhaps used Long Zheng's UI Taskforce for Windows Vista. Unfortunately, the entire blog is down, along with the taskforce pages. Here's a cached page: http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=73626...a&FORM=CVRE OR http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:tnPZH...;cd=2&gl=us

I do not believe there's something of that sort for Windows XP, so we should get XPize organized. Hopefully, the UI Taskforce will be up eventually and Vize could use that as a Vista starting point.

So, how will this work :) !!

-------------------

For XPize, I believe it's most important to patch the program up to work flawlessly with Windows XP SP3 and to fix up the UXTheme hack. Maybe some stability improvements, too?

Other than that, the program should be going fine, right?

Sorry guys, I don't use Vista (as of now), so I don't know what's up with it. Should we merge the two boards together so we can organize this better? (This discussion is only on the XPize forum, and I'm not sure if Vize users or anyone interested is even viewing it ... ??)

Also, for both programs, we should get a NEEDS & WANTS list. Needs should be what needs to be attended to and fixed. Wants are what the users wish for (perhaps features?).

-----

Should we continue to communicate on the MSFN forums (best choice), or have conversations via IM/PM? I think the forums is best so we can gather and organize information in our own time.

---

to W3bbo: Wow, you discovered the Royale Noir theme for istartedsomething ??!! Nicely done :) !! I just love that theme, and best of all, no hacking necessary ;) .

Also, do you happen to know what's wrong with IStartedSomething blog? I really wish to read Long Zheng's writing again ...

Edited by Happy-Dude

For XPize, I believe it's most important to patch the program up to work flawlessly with Windows XP SP3 and to fix up the UXTheme hack. Maybe some stability improvements, too?

I haven't experienced any stability problems with XPize, except when the occasional Windows Update patch resets the occasional resource file.

Also, for both programs, we should get a NEEDS & WANTS list. Needs should be what needs to be attended to and fixed. Wants are what the users wish for (perhaps features?).

Well I'd like to combine everything XPize-related into a single project and installer. Right now I install 3.2 first then the 4.7 Beta so I get all the themes and stuff between them.

The new installer should have everything in it and let users choose between variations on XPize (e.g. the MCE-styled blue one we've come to love or the black one, etc...), with previews, of course.

Should we continue to communicate on the MSFN forums (best choice), or have conversations via IM/PM? I think the forums is best so we can gather and organize information in our own time.

In the spirit of transparency and openness, stick to forums.

to W3bbp: Wow, you discovered the Royale Noir theme for istartedsomething ??!! Nicely done :) !! I just love that theme, and best of all, no hacking necessary ;) .

People give me too much credit. I was just the right guy with the right contacts in the right place at the right time.

Also, do you happen to know what's wrong with IStartedSomething blog? I really wish to read Long Zheng's writing again ...

Long's been busy on student-related activities, as well as being preoccupied with winning the Imagine Cup competition. Whilst he was busy with this his blog's server (provided for free by a friend of his) went down. He hasn't been on Messenger lately, but he knows the server is down. I reckon he's just waiting for it to be rebuilt; give it a few more days.

Great, so this is turning out nicely :thumbup !!

(To the programmers: I believe that XPero only provided us with the .NET source code, is that right? [sorry, couldn't check it out myself, eventually, just give me some time.] So, to XPero, can you perhaps provide us with the source codes for all your *last* major versions, like 1.x/2.x/3.x/4.7beta along with your .NET alpha? There are those, W3bbp, that wish to have some of the themes and features included in the earlier versions. Thanks very much.)

Now, we will need to organize this well:

Any volunteer programmers/coders that are willing to dedicate some (perhaps lengthy) hours into working of the source code and new features for the program?

Anyone know some good designers willing to carry out some of the work?

Are there any good contacts that could be made so there can be some extra hands?

What should the guidelines for the project be, be it features, requests, bugs, etc. ?

Alright, so I guess we're communicating through the MSFN forums. I guess we just need to confirm some things with the "heads" of this project, and have a clear direction and mission objective. Any volunteers? Any requests for heads? Any method of selection? As long as this project is confirmed as **continued** and **coming along**, with clear objectives, guidelines, and such, perhaps we should get a sticky going. Just a question, do you prefer to have two separate boards for XPize and Vize? To me, it seems that it would make for sense for the boards to be merged so that there can be a central forum and place for announcements, questions, requests and such. (XPero, once this project is on its way, can you, perhaps, if it isn't too much to ask, sticky some posts and stuff? Thanks a lot.)

ALRIGHT !! Let's get this thing going. Who's in, who wants to be one of the "heads," and how shall we begin? Post back, everyone :) !! :hello:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Off Topic:

Ah, W3bbo, found a "continuation" of Long Zheng's blog. Instead of generally stuff, he is more focused of the Imagine Cup development. http://longstudio3.wordpress.com/ ;; Kudos to him and his team :) !!

Edited by Happy-Dude

so this is going seriously, ah? icon resources there is no need to be created. just extracted from the right locations. xpero used the existing vista icons to replace the remaining xp icons. i, for myself, haven't used the new xpize.net. i'm talking just for vize.

I believe than the projects they must take a degree

XPize

XPize.net

For my right now part in agreement with XPero that I will go for modifying XPize code in order that he be compatible with NSIS 2.38

And the improvements that I propose for the moment and I can do for this code 4.6 is:

- Compatibility

- Multilanguaje Support

- InstallerSystemFiles*.nsi and UninstallerSystemFiles*.nsi in one file (In a Macro)

- XPize 4.*.* - Source Full and Lite in an alone code.

- NSIS MUI2

- various improvements

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

And I am for Vize, XPize.net voluntary making installers And the ones that he have. :ph34r:

Remember, there are three distributions of the XPize source:

There are two links off the main XPize website and another, seperate, download from XPero's skydrive account.

XIS.zip, XPize46SCR, and XPize_SRC.zip

Each has different contents.

Ah, sorry W3bbo.

Didn't see his source codes on his website. I should get to looking at them now :) .

So, how to organize this? Who's active, who's not, who's willing, who's going to volunteer? Let's really get this thing going :thumbup !!

Ah, sorry W3bbo.

Didn't see his source codes on his website. I should get to looking at them now :) .

So, how to organize this? Who's active, who's not, who's willing, who's going to volunteer? Let's really get this thing going :thumbup !!

A lot of the content in each archive is duplicated. I'll sort through it later today to remove the cruft and form a single project. I'll then consult XPero on the general architecture (he's on my messenger list), before uploading it all to CodePlex. We can then collaborate with a TFS client (there's one for VS Express, so don't worry if you don't have the full thing).

That cool with everyone?

Remember, there are three distributions of the XPize source:

There are two links off the main XPize website and another, seperate, download from XPero's skydrive account.

XIS.zip, XPize46SCR, and XPize_SRC.zip

Each has different contents.

XIS is the NSIS XPize Installer System: It is a basic version of XPize so people can create derived works form it easily.

XPize46SCR: It is the NSIS XPize 4.6 source code.

XPize_SRC: Is the uncomplete XPize.net source code

Alright guys. This project is getting serious, as XPero himself recognized it.

Now, I made a major edit to my first post. I still believe we need more organization, though. Can I get some people to share contact information? I am available through the major messenger services (AIM/ ICQ/ Y!M/ GTalk/ WLM).

I can add you guys and stuff like that. Just make sure to e-mail me at mannyiceage[at]yahoo.com (my public e-mail) & pocketgamer5000[at]yahoo.com (my private e-mail for serious business).

What else must we do, guys? Remember to post back :) !!

EDIT-

Reason I didn't edit the post on features and stuff is because we still have to get organized about it. Sure, I have some requests too ... But first we need to stick out guidelines and goals for this project. Anyone wanna help formulate this? Remember to post back/ contact those who wish to be involved ... :)

Edited by Happy-Dude

I would love to help, but unfortunately have no experience in C or C# but am willing to help during the testing phase.

Also, I personally think it would be a good idea to try to get either peyronnx or zedox on the project because they have already worked on their own versions and their experience would be of great benefit.

I can add you guys and stuff like that. Just make sure to e-mail me at mannyiceage@yahoo.com (my public e-mail) & pocketgamer5000@yahoo.com (my private e-mail for serious business).

I've emailed you; when d'reckon you'll reply?

W3bbo, I've replied to your e-mail.

Now, I take it that your definitely going to be in this thing, right? What position, if any, would you like to take part in?

Anyone else that's interested, please post a message saying something like "I'm in" and tell me what you would like to be part of. If it is something serious like the heads, coding, or designing may you please post some of your qualifications? Only then I feel that I could add you freely to the project (formally, that is).

Come on guys, remember post your stuff !!

---------------------------

To W3bbo: How should this be organize? What can we do? What should be the guidelines for the things?

The Gameplan

As me and HappyDude are in different time-zones it's been a bit of a problem getting communications sorted. But this is the general plan we've agreed upon:

So far it's been just me and HappyDude having serious discussions about it; other people are welcome to participate, but for the first few days it'll be just me, XPero, and HappyDude sorting through the various project sources, extracting the source code we need, and forming a repository of all the actual content in the XPize and Vize projects (for now, XPize will be the priority, Vize will come later).

• Once we have sorted out the source code from the assets (the resources and stuff) we'll post it all to CodePlex
  • Development will then begin in earnest and other people are encouraged to take part. This will require a TFS client, which are available for free download from CodePlex
  • After we feel the project has reached a certain level of maturity we will release it as "XPize 5" and XPero has agreed to post it to the website as an official release
  • Work will then commence on getting Vize up to code

We will evaluate different features and the rest after the initial "extraction" phase.

Because getting people to do collaborative work on the Internet can be a pain at times, I will assume most of the burden of the work unless other people explicitly take up a role and activly participate. The last thing we want is Internet drama to hover over this project like a cloud of doom.

This should cover us for a month or so when we hope to reach the release stage. I anticipate short turnaround times since most of the work has already been done by XPero.