Vista RainBar V4 under Windows98SE

eXtremeDX

I was playing arround with my Win98SE install, so put MSLU and KernelEx 0.3.4a on it, and guess what happened, i i'm able to run Vista RainBar V4 under Windows9x!!!!!!!

This is my first screenie of that sidebar :

sidebar_under_win9x_light.jpg

Would someone want to work arround with it? it's not 100% perfect, but it looks awesome!!!! the best Vista SideBar i've ever tried under 9x!!!!

/post

I see you don't know which RainBar i'm using, well, not the installer edition, use the previous one. Please try to find the V4.2 iwthout installer :)

I know there is an installer edition by Legace, wich doesn't install very well under 9x

tell me if U want me to upload it somewhere so that you can download it :ph34r:

Edited by eXtremeDX

sure, just wait 'till i hav an RapidShare link ope ;D

as Gavatx has new installer, he wont give us teh older one :(

EDIT: I found shutdown/restart/hivernate buttons are not workin' due to ausence of shutdown.exe, which is a part of NT-based systems, maybe works on RP7 patched systems by changing "c:\Windows\system32\shutdown.exe" to "c:\windows\system\shutdown.exe"

/post

Edited by eXtremeDX

ummm, let me watch over it, didn't know it wasn't working.... Are you on 9x?

it seems that you need to fill this fields up :

[MeasureMail]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\MailMeter.dll
Server=<Your pop3 Server>
Port=110
User=<Your User Name (= address without "@example.com")>
Password=<Your Password>
Timeout=60000
IfAboveValue=0
IfAboveAction=!execute [PLAY Notify.wav]

inside mailmeter.inf.

just right click your gadget, go through skin menu and clic "edit skin", notepad will pop up as default *.ini* editor, scroll down until you see those codes, fill 'em your data and refresh/reload Rainmeter

i'm pretty sure it doesn't work on XP either if you don't configure it.

/post

----------------------------

EDIT: I found a rapidshare link to Vista RainBar V4.2 on WinCert.net Forums

DOWNLOAD ME!!!

/post

Edited by eXtremeDX

So far I'm trying it out and it works like a charm. Additionally, it seems to have little to zero impact on resources as well according to the resource meter. This is a great treat due to the little to zero resource impact for what it does.

Just keep note of a few things when using it:

1) On startup, it samples whatever is on your screen at the current moment for it's "transparency", so for a cleancut effect - make sure it loads up on a clean desktop. If you move any gadgets or whatnot around, you'll need to exit and restart rainmeter for the clean-look again.

2) You may need to add 'rainmeter.exe=1' under [AdvancedGDI]in kexver.ini if you run into rendering isues with it's background since it doesn't update the background due to lack of real layering in win98. (Note: This is noticed using RP7 on my lappy.)

3) If you wish to remove a gadget or 'skin', its best to right-click the object and select 'close skin' under 'skin menu' from there. Closing a skin/gadget using the right-click on rainmeter systray icon to close them causes them to be closed from the top down in list, not the one you intended to close.

4) For a 'gadgets only' use, simply uncheck anything checked in under configs -> sidebar

5) FOr any skins/gadgets you use, I'd recomment you right-click -> skin menu-> position -> 'On Desktop' to keep from overlapping anything with its 'faked' background transparency.

Edited by Chozo4

yep, as Windows9x doesn't support transparency, you'll be forced to ditch the sidebar background, either use a transparent one.

I would like to run a first rainbar process for background and a second one for gadgets (as Vista does).

but i don't need the background to be colorized

screenie:

360.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

~HOW TO MAKE UPTIME GADGET WORK~

As you may have noticed, uptime gadget, a.k.a. shutdown panel gadget doesn't work at all with Windows9x.

First, you need to have Revolutions Pack 7 installed, it's necessary to work because it bundles a XP-like shutdown applet. As it's almost a "port" for Windows9x, contains most of the XP shutdown.exe functions.

You need to:

1.- Run Vista RainBar v4

2.- Open gadget gallery and run uptime gadget (you can always load it from rainmeter's menu)

3.- right click the gadget, go to "skin options", and click "edit skin"

EDIT FUNCTIONS.-

It's really important to do NOT mess with the rest of config file, you may need to reinstall it if something goes wrong...

Go to Power3.ini and edit the followinbg strings.-

Action1="%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState"
Action2="%systemroot%\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00"
Action3="%systemroot%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00"

Replace them with this one.-

Action1="%windir%\System\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState"
Action2="%windir%\system\shutdown.exe -r -t 00"
Action3="%windir%\system\shutdown.exe -s -t 00"

now you're ready to use your uptime gadget, remember to reload RainBar so that changes take any effect.

<------->

please sorry for double posting, but it's very important for 9x users to know :)

Classic 98SE shutdown:

%windir%\RUNDLL.EXE shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1

Classic 98SE restart:

%windir%\RUNDLL.EXE shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 2

Has anyone tried to use the above? I don't have RP7/KernelEx/RainMeter installed currently.