DVDRW & CDRW PROBLEM

forumer03

I installed the latest version of Nlite which is 1.4.7. After doing so, I started to make my unattended WinXP SP3 version.

I never experienced any problem while integrating and slipstreaming all my desired update packs and add-ons.

Problem was, when I tried to burn it onto a cd. Usually after a successful burning it will eject the cd and we receive a confirmation box saying 'twas a success. Sadly, mine stucked right there at the end, meaning, it reached 100% but never gave me a confirmation (after waiting for a long period of time, I decided to just terminate nLite using task manager). Now, I'm having problems with my DVDRW and CDRW, it no longer reads cd's and dvd's. Whenever I tried to insert any dvd/cd all i hear was a grinding sound but can't open the files or movies and any of the cd contents.

PLEASE HEELLLPPPPP....

Edited by forumer03

Hit that Reset button will you?

If it doesn't work after rebooting, your drive is dead, plain and simple. It has absolutely nothing to do with that System Restore crap, the only time i really needed it it messed up my windoze completely.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

In all my years in using PC's not once has System Restore created any problems, amazing how this thread was opened yesterday and not one person replied with any help, but 2 mins after I add a reply someone is there to have a dig at it.

In all my years in using PC's not once has System Restore created any problems, amazing how this thread was opened yesterday and not one person replied with any help, but 2 mins after I add a reply someone is there to have a dig at it.

Well, it happens. The only time i needed it it screwed up my windoze so bad that it took 5 minutes to boot and half the apps wouldn't run. That doesn't mean always does this, but that particular computer didn't like it.

All i did yesterday on this forum was post a thread in the win98 section so i didn't notice this particular thread today. You implying i have something with you or what? I just added my two cents in, since i had a laptop DVD drive die misteriously right after i finished reinstalling XP.

System Properties > Device Manager

Uninstall the ODD. Then do a hardware scan. This will install the driver in case it somehow became corrupted.

If does fix the problem, but it keeps reoccuring, I'd say time to replace your ODD.

EDIT - By uninstall I mean uninstall the driver, not physically un-install it.

Edited by kingsc

The only way you could physically damage the drive itself is to overburn past the physical limits of the drive. Some drives are protected against this, ie. they reject the cmd and return an error. While others will dutifully attempt it and either jam and/or damage the stepper mechanism. It's a firmware thing for the most part.

Unfortunately there is no quick easy way to tell which you have or even when such damage has occurred. The first indication is usually a refusal to read discs.

@mazmorbid

We always disable System Restore as it doesn't give a clean restore. It's not intended to as that would usually result in the loss of user data as well as undoing system alterations. Having said that most people do not have any problems with it.

EDIT: And the reason I did not reply to this yesterday is I didn't see it in the new posts list.

Edited by Phoneywar

The only way you could physically damage the drive itself is to overburn past the physical limits of the drive.

Tell that to the 8 LG drives, an Asus, a Samsung and a Philips lying in a corner of my room... The electronics in the drives sometimes fail suddenly, as seems to be the OP's case. Some can be recalibrated, if it's an LG forget about it.

Blimey. One has to wonder what on earth you are doing with them :blink:

However a quick, off the top of my head guess is overheating. That will knacker them just as throughly as it will a CPU.

EDIT: Speeling Earors

Edited by Phoneywar

Blimey. One has to wonder what on earth you are doing with them :blink:

However a quick, off the top of my head guess is overheating. That will knacker them just as throughly as it will a CPU.

Well, not all the drives there were mine. 3 of the LGs and the Philips drive were mine, the rest of them i got from various people for parts. I sometimes swap boards/heads to get a borked drive working again.

The only LG i used intensely was a 52x CD-RW drive, i burned a lot of discs with that, it worked fine the first 6 months, then it would only burn at 8x and only on certain media, then it died entirely. One of the LG DVD drives only burned 6 DVDs in 8 months, and two of the 6 discs weren't burned completely causing them to be unusable, and that was on high quality media.

On the good side of things, i've never had any problems with Teac and Lite-On drives. In my main machine i have a Teac DV-516D DVD/CD-ROM drive and a Lite-On DH20A3P dual-layer burner with Lightscribe, in my dual-PIII i have a Lite-On DH20A1P dual-layer burner w/ Lightscribe, and in mom's rig a Lite-On LTR-52327S is doing the CD tasks, along with a LG that i got for $8. The LG is totally broken on CDs but it does fine reading and burning DVDs. Also a Teac CD-540E i recalibrated was my audio ripping drive for over an year, till i got the DV-516D.

I've turned quite a few broken LG DVD/CDRW combo drives into perfectly working CDRWs, DVD lasers are a b***h to recalibrate, and it's usually the electronics failing not the laser focus.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

Oh, right. Not as bad as it sound then :)

I would have to agree with you about Teac and Lite-On drives. I've never had one of those fail on me yet. In fact, I have an antique Teac CD/RW drive which saw a lot of heavy use, was put into storage for several years then resurrected as an external drive using a USB housing. Still works perfectly despite being the best part of ten years old.

Yeah, the only Lite-On drive that died on me was a LTR-52327S killed by a bad power supply. However i have found a new board for it and it's waiting to be replaced when i get back home. :)

Asus made some pretty good CD-RW drives too, i've repaired a 48x/24x/48x drive and it had the fastest seek times i've ever seen - 49ms random seek. I thought that disc was going to blow during the test. ^ ^ Though for some unknown reason that drive just died one day... It didn't want to recognize any media anymore.

Current drives barely manage 60ms seek times, even the Lite-Ons. It's funny - read speeds increase but seek/access times increase as well, making quick access to random files pretty much impossible. This is why now games install all data to the HDD.