Media Center crash on vLited Vista + People near me bug.

blerk

I've setup a box as media center, used one of my perfectly working and used many times preset.ini and left media center in, guessing it would popup if i remove, everyting in the install works as expected, just that when starting media center it gives me an dw20.exe error followed by another ehshell.exe error.

Start -> Media Center:

dw20.exe - Application Error: The instruction at 0x6b1227e7 referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read.

After pressing OK there it gives me this one:

ehshell.exe - Application Error: Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID=0x730 (1840), Thread ID=0x8cc (2252).

Pressing ok there gives no more errors.

What could cause this? I've removed error reporting on an install with Media Center before and this did not happen, what else does Media Center depend on that Ive removed?

People near me does not seem to work anymore, giving me this error:

One or more of the dependent modules could not initialize. The modules pnrpsvc, p2psvc, p2pimsvc and p2phost must be started. If not started, these modules can be manually started.

After doing some investigating, it seems it depends on some services:

Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Peer Networking Grouping

Which both depend on:

Peer Networking Identity Manager

When trying to start Peer Networking Identity Manager it gives this error:

The Peer Networking Identity Manager service terminated with the following error:

The specified module could not be found.

I've checked in vLite for anything resembling p2p or media stuff that Media Center and/or People near me, might depend on that is not automaticly selected or noticed by vLite.

Guess this is the downside of running the latest beta ;)

Last_Session.ini

Edited by blerk

Sorry to bump my own thread but I can't believe nobody has a clue to fix this :P

On the People Near Me issue, I've browsed trought the list of components in vLite many many times and can't find anything that resembles the service that seem to be missing; Peer Networking Identity Manager

What in my .ini removes "Peer Networking Identity Manager" ? Someone must know something, or give me website where I can find such dependencies.

Edited by blerk

Thanks man, I will try that a.s.a.p. and report back here. How many reinstalls did it take you to narrow it down to this component? :P

I wonder if re-adding "Software Quality Management" will also fix the people near me. I know it is a silly thing but very much fun to play with in public spaces or starbucks ;)

Edited by blerk

Yeah VirtualBox here, it seems to be the fastest on this machine. I'm now running a full blown/bloated install of Vista with Media Centre working, but I ran into some tuner problems, so I'm delaying a new install, will test my old ini with the new information later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.