Windows XP Home on Laptop ACTIVATION

burdo64

Hello , I have a laptop in wich was pre loaded with XP Home Edition. Since it was wiped and a OEM XP Home edition installed, I have tryed to activate and download my updates that im fully entitled to. But im told i dont have a valid key.

Im confused I bought a laptop with serial , (payed for the xp licnece), reinstalled the same version of xp and now it refuses to activate me. I feel extreamly ripped off by Microsoft in a big way . Could any one explain why then have thrown another customers support down the drain after cashing in.

And how i can get around this problem to download all my updates i deserve.

Any help will be exelent

Thanks Guys+Gals

If you installed from the original recovery CD or partition that the OEM provided, it should activate okay and you should be able to contact Microsoft regarding activation.

If you used other media to install the OS then you would have had to have used another key, that did not come with your machine.

What kind of XP license do you have? You said that you installed from OEM media, for which you will need an OEM key (typically on the XP sticker on the bottom/side of your computer). Usually you don't need to pay for an XP license when buying a computer - it comes with it. If you said you paid for your license, then that might mean you have a RETAIL key, which will not work with OEM media - only RETAIL media.

The preloaded laptop should already be activated when using their recovery image/discs.

The other laptop should also come with a license (nearly all laptops sold are via places like Dell, and those pretty much always come with Windows), so just use the recovery discs. Unless you're trying to use a different copy of XP you bought separately, in which case you'll have to call MS' activation hotline, and explain the problem to them. Unless you're doing something you're not supposed to (like trying to install the same copy on more than one computer), they will give you an activation number for it.