Server 2008 SP1 X64 'vs' Vista SP1 X64 - why the difference ?

benifin

Just had a chance to do a full-strip of both Server 2008 SP1 X64 and Vista SP1 X64 - used the same machine for each which has 4gig RAM and loaded just the .inf, video and s/card drivers for each install - the basic results for a full-strip of each are as follows:-

Server 2008 SP1 X64

- 370meg RAM Footprint

- 1.2 gig install size [ excluding swap file ]

Vista SP1 X64

- 370meg RAM Footprint

- 2.6 gig install size [ excluding swap file ]

Apart from the Server 2008 SP1 install feeling a lot snappier and responsive [just like using an Nlite'd XP install] can anyone explain why the Vista SP1 X64 install is over 2x twice the size of the Server 2008 SP1 install ?

The only thing I can think of is that the Vista code has all the DRM "stuff" still in it whereas the Server install doesnt ?!? - but even allowing for that, I really doubt the "DRM stuff" would account for such a massive install size difference ?

Ben

Edited by benifin

The big downside of removing components from 2008 with vLite is that you lose the ability to add/remove features. Things like Wireless LAN and Desktop Experience will not work/be installed and you can also not install them afterwards as the add/remove features is broken (vLite tells you this too). This for me is the only reason I'm not using 2008 as desktop, I want to remove crud but keep the add/remove functionality. Maybe an option can be added to vLite to install/make work certain features/server roles whilst still in vLite, so I and others can have our Wireless LAN and Desktop Experience but without the crud *hopes nuhi reads here* ;)

• 5 weeks later...