Vlite on Pentium II? Whats the crappiest hardware you've installed

im_to_hyper

For fun I installed heavily vlited Vista Ultimate SP1 on a 600Mhz and 128mb RAM laptop, and it works... I'll post screenshots if anyone wants to see it.

I actually tried installing it on a PII with 64mb RAM (also for fun) but I can't get past the extracting file section because it reboots into WinPE which can't fit on 64mb of RAM. I tried to disable services on WinPE (using WinPE v1 cd) and all the other stuff, but still doesn't work. I still have a few ideas left to try, but don't have time to try it.

Hey, yeah that would be cool! I take it all the the scores are a 1.0 :P How's the stability? Any driver compatibility issues to speak of???

Hey, yeah that would be cool! I take it all the the scores are a 1.0 :P How's the stability? Any driver compatibility issues to speak of???

Stability is a mixed bag, the system is stable even with the low RAM, and maybe it is the simplistic hardware but I swear it gets to the login screen faster than my main computer (when I feel like running Vista). However I can't shutdown I'm left with a black screen with a flashing _.

The scores are not all 1.0 (surprise). Obviously the ATI Rage Mobility cannot run Aero and gets 1.0 for both Graphics and Gaming Grapics. The RAM also gets a 1.0. Surprisingly the 600Mhz Celeron processor gets a 2.9, and even more surprisingly my Hard Disk (10GB) gets a 3.1.

Now drivers... Windows does not autodetect anything, which is a surprise because I left the driver section untouched. Normally this is not an issue I grab the XP inf folder and XP's driver.cab. Because this computer is slow I don't bother extracting driver.cab (and I forgot to mention this computer's USB port is broken and it has no internet (no spare PCMCIA card lying around) and the PCMCIA USB thing doesn't work in Vista... so I'm left with CD) so I plan to extract it as needed, in XP a message will popup asking for a file. In Vista it is different, if it can't find the file it will exit with an error. So I had to guess which files it needed and spent time getting the sound and video working.

And that's about it, except for the surprisingly faster than expected bootup it is still slow.

Oh yeah none of the screensavers except Windows Logo, Blank, 3D Text and Bubbles run. Bubbles run......... though it looks very messed up.

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/asus...a-ultimate.html

It runs pretty dark snappy in the video above, and I think it's not even vLite'd that much, if at all. Also a lot of the "vista is slow" I think is FUD. I've ran Vista fine on all my boxes just be sure to turn of indexing and you're on your way.

I would happily put it on my old P3 notebook, but I've given it away with a nLited XP that boots faster than most dual cores with default installs, people were amazed when I told them its only a P3 866mhz :D

Edited by blerk

• 1 month later...

My poor thread has been sitting idle for awhile! Sad! I had seen that Vista video, but honestly, its Vista running on hardware designed for it, with the right drivers, and designed to perform to the standards set out for Vista machines.

I'm thinking of installing a vLite'd install of Vista Ultimate on my 1.2GHz Celeron machine. Anyone have advice on how to make a super small ISO, or the most minimal, stable possible version? I've seen some on here that are only 700MB ISOs! That's the size I'm looking for.

I also want to try it on a machine that only has 384MB RAM, but has an Aero compatible graphics card, and I want to see how an install on there would go.

Eric

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/asus...a-ultimate.html

It runs pretty dark snappy in the video above, and I think it's not even vLite'd that much, if at all. Also a lot of the "vista is slow" I think is FUD. I've ran Vista fine on all my boxes just be sure to turn of indexing and you're on your way.

I would happily put it on my old P3 notebook, but I've given it away with a nLited XP that boots faster than most dual cores with default installs, people were amazed when I told them its only a P3 866mhz :D

• 3 weeks later...

trying to install it onto a dual PII 450 with 756mb of ram, using a cf as a hd, however i get the message saying that windows hasn't found a suitable drive to install onto, i've used the modified hitatchi microdrives so vista see's it as a fixed disk, it formats it, but refuses to isntall, is there a min size for it to install to?