Vlite on Pentium II? Whats the crappiest hardware you've installed

im_to_hyper

Hey guys...

I'm a lurker, what can I say. Normally I'm floating over at Mac forums. ANYWAY!

JUST to say I can do it, I'm thinking of trying to install a completely striped-down slipstreamed version of Vista onto the following laptop:

300MHz Pentium II (MMX)

256MB RAM

6.4GB HD

CD-ROM

2.0MB Graphics

SO the hardware sucks.... has anyone else had any luck with such old hardware?

Well, I actually I made a very nice stripped down install with NLite "back in the day" and I've been running the Vista Transformation Pack with Windows Blinds on that... and honestly it feels pretty dang fast, I really only use it for IMing at work. :)

I figured it would be fun just to try it, see what happens. But I have no idea what problems to expect along the way, and whether or not it will actually work, even though its totally stripped down.

My motherboard officially supports 256MB RAM max, in most cases do you think more can be installed?

Eh, I've already decided this is probably a dumb idea anyway with really no point to it really. Could it be done? Quite possibly, yes. What is the point of it being done? None, really. It would be slower than a dog, unstable with tons of legacy drivers, and just not fun. NOW installing it on a dual Xeon 500MHz, with 1.5GB RAM, 10k RPM HD and GeForce FX 5500 (256 MB) just might work a lot lot better....

Edited by im_to_hyper

i put nlited xp on 400mhz cellron 128mb its works fine but vista :unsure:

Exactly why I decided not to do it. I think anything less than 600MHz would REALLY be pushing it. How was your performance under nLited XP? You should upgrade to 512MB RAM JUST so u can install Vista :P

Well its possible but i dont think you like what comes out of this little experiment.Its possible to force install on 256MB machines trough vlite tweak.The culprit in this case will be CPU speed(800Mhz single core reccommended at least) and graphics...2MB is not enough even for classic.Besides finding drivers to back it all up...hell i say.Good youre not gonna try this.

Well its possible but i dont think you like what comes out of this little experiment.Its possible to force install on 256MB machines trough vlite tweak.The culprit in this case will be CPU speed(800Mhz single core reccommended at least) and graphics...2MB is not enough even for classic.Besides finding drivers to back it all up...hell i say.Good youre not gonna try this.

How about Windows Server 2008 Core ? :sneaky: That would work gracefully.

vista blows if you don't have 2 cores and 4gb ram

Vanilla?...mmm - maybe.Id say 2cores 2GB will do fine.

vLited?...1core 1GB is good.I run vlited on 2core 2GB and fairly good GPU:8800GTS

For fun I installed heavily vlited Vista Ultimate SP1 on a 600Mhz and 128mb RAM laptop, and it works... I'll post screenshots if anyone wants to see it.

I actually tried installing it on a PII with 64mb RAM (also for fun) but I can't get past the extracting file section because it reboots into WinPE which can't fit on 64mb of RAM. I tried to disable services on WinPE (using WinPE v1 cd) and all the other stuff, but still doesn't work. I still have a few ideas left to try, but don't have time to try it.

i have installed a vlited vista ultimate on a 1.3 celeron socket370 512mb memory and it booted no slower than my dualcore... but it runs slow as a snail so i couldnt think of it on a pII... of course i have seen pII run a bit quicker than a pIII celeron.. for basic tasks