KernelEx App Compatibility Database

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting one. DownThemAll (a download manager add-on for Firefox) v.1.x worked with KernelEx 4.5 (every version I tested) and Firefox 3.5, but there were some bugs I noted in the KernelEx thread.

I'm happy to report that DownThemAll 2.0.x also works, and without the bugs! :thumbup

I think a proper database would be good for this (on kex homepage prehaps?) meaning that you could type/search for an app to see its compatability.

Anyway, Starry Night CASP 6 works with kex (latest).

Compatability issue, do not tick [use shaders] otherwise it will crash upon start with illegal operation.

Trev

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned way back on page 1 of this thread, Adobe Reader 7.09 works. And with KernelEx 4.5 Final, the installation program completes normally - no need to edit the .msi file anymore.

BUT, when I installed Adobe Reader 7.09, it installed a version of MSVCRT.DLL that broke several programs. Ouch!

Luckily, if this happens to you, MGDx has the fix. http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q932590.EXE will install the latest version of MSVCRT.DLL that works with Win98.

* Whew! * That was close. Thanks MGDx!

Edit: One more thing: Make sure to set not just the install program, but also Adobe Reader 7.09 itself, to Windows 2000 compatibility mode. Otherwise you'll have garbage in many of the dialog boxes.

Edited by Mathwiz

• 1 month later...

About a year ago I wrote about STDU Viewer. Recently I tried the latest version 1.5.635. The list of supported formats increased and now it can display tiff, djvu, pdf, xps, cbz, cbr, tcr, jbig2, fb2, wwf, pdb and other file formats. And what's cool, I have found the way to run it on Windows 98 with KernelEx 4.5 without this interface bug that makes it almost unusable. You need to download both portable version and installer. Install it, then unpack portable version to other location and use the portable version to launch it. I don't know why it works in that way, but it works perfectly! When I run the installed version, the interface is crapped; when I try to use only portable version, the interface is OK but it cannot open a file, but when I run portable version with already installed one, everything works OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in the past couple of days, I've installed Opera 11.11 (using W2K compatibility mode) on two machines, both W98SE with KernelEx 4.5.1. Generally, I'm impressed with it, compared to FF (2.0.0.22pre).

On one machine however, no icon appears on the taskbar when Opera is started.

I've looked around for an explanation/solution, but the only similar thing I can find relates to Linux. Ideas anyone?

Also I've noticed, on both machines, Opera doesn't like to open multiple instances of itself. Minor issue, although more annoying when there's no icon on the taskbar to remind you it's already running.

Joe.

PS. Just solved the mystery of the missing taskbar icon for Opera. On a hunch, I installed the Unofficial Q932590 hotfix for 'msvcrt.dll' from MDGX's site. (A similar problem existed for Wireshark 0.99.4, now also fixed.)

Edited by jds

• 4 weeks later...

I tried STDU Viewer 1.5.647 with Kernelex 4.5.1.

As noted below, this program has one feature I have wanted since the original Kodak Imaging program.

I did however have some problems. I had to wonder if they were STDU problems or Kernelex problems because I don't have a system without kernelex.

I went to the web site and didn't find any forums, only a email address for support.

File, print consistently crashed the program with a page fault in kernel32.dll.

In the preferences/options dialog box, clicking "paragraphs and fonts" consistently crashed the program with a page fault in module STDUVIEWERAPP.EXE.

In the shortcuts branch in that dialog box, clicking the assign command button for a entered short cut key did not do anything.

In the text documents branch in that dialog box, changing the background color did not do anything.

The program did not remember the window position and size when re-starting.

For selected areas of the image, the program provided copy and save options, but not a cut option. For me cut is important because I often have to clean up black areas on scanned documents.

That said, the program had one feature that I have wanted for years. If you key view, setting, the program offers three slider controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma for the image. When viewing bright white background .pdf and .tif documents, you can turn down the brightness on the white backgrounds to a level where you don't wish for sun glasses.

I tried STDU Viewer 1.5.647 with Kernelex 4.5.1.

As noted below, this program has one feature I have wanted since the original Kodak Imaging program.

I did however have some problems. I had to wonder if they were STDU problems or Kernelex problems because I don't have a system without kernelex.

I went to the web site and didn't find any forums, only a email address for support.

File, print consistently crashed the program with a page fault in kernel32.dll.

In the preferences/options dialog box, clicking "paragraphs and fonts" consistently crashed the program with a page fault in module STDUVIEWERAPP.EXE.

In the shortcuts branch in that dialog box, clicking the assign command button for a entered short cut key did not do anything.

In the text documents branch in that dialog box, changing the background color did not do anything.

The program did not remember the window position and size when re-starting.

For selected areas of the image, the program provided copy and save options, but not a cut option. For me cut is important because I often have to clean up black areas on scanned documents.

That said, the program had one feature that I have wanted for years. If you key view, setting, the program offers three slider controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma for the image. When viewing bright white background .pdf and .tif documents, you can turn down the brightness on the white backgrounds to a level where you don't wish for sun glasses.

Any program running under KernelEx compatibility mode, even say 'notepad', fails to print on my system.

As for the features you seek, have you tried IrfanView? Runs on W9X natively (except for the OCR plug-in, which needs KernelEx).

Joe.

• 2 weeks later...