Vlited vista wont start

StevenOrtiz

im trying to make a gaming os, by cutting back alot of features from vista for smoother operation. well i made a new partition and all, and i installed my vlited vista onto it, and when it was done, it takes me to the first time usage envirionment by running tests and checking hardware compatibility. Right at that part is when it crashes, restarts and takes me to startup recovery or something, then says its unable to recover.

what am i removing thats preventing startup? am i removing too much? the vista install cd i have is a dell factory cd 32-bit, and im slipstreaming sp1 into it as well. please help

Well, I have the same problem. I used Vista SP1 image, integrated all the hotfixes that I found in Microsoft Download Center (except those that doesn't match in any way) and vLited this build. When installed Vista starts to check computer performance (after OOBE), it crashes and restarts - just like Steven wrote. Then, after restart it says "Configuring updates... Stage 3 of 3", it 'jumps' like this: 0% -> 99% -> 100%, - then says "Shutting down", restarts and it repeats in a loop.

I think that it's an error of one of the updates. I checked all updates I integrated through Microsoft Knowledge Base and I have come to a conclusion, that it is the fault of KB949545. I haven't tested vLited Vista without this update, but it is said in description:

An update is available to resolve an issue in which the Wusa.exe tool returns a "1 (S_FALSE)" error code in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008

So, it updates the Windows Update system (Wusa.exe file) and, as the looped restarts comes from configuring updates process, I think, it is the only update that may cause this problem. The others are updating components that must not affect the OOBE.

NOTE: I have earlier created vLited Vista without the latest updates (since the beginning of july) and it worked fine. I'll try to make a build without 949545 and will write the results.

hannubys, well, I always remove the same components, this time I just added to this list a few components. Here is my Last Session. I'm working on this build.

And here is also the list of updates I integrate (excluding KB949545).

Last_Session.ini

post-192387-1216279209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Riggs

I got it! :D

If you have such problem, you must either leave in vLite the component Windows Search, or NOT integrate Windows Search (WDS) 4.0 (KB940157).

Well, not integrating KB949545 helped just partially. Now, OOBE finishes, the performance check also finishes successfully, and then Windows starts configuring updates on the stage 3 of 3 (again!!!). But now, it takes much more time, then Windows reboots and continues with updates, and this process also takes a lot of time. And then it starts to reboot in a loop.

I still believe that it is the problem of updates. I'll now try to vLite the "bare" SP1-distrib with the same configuration without integrating updates and I'll write the result. I think that it also can be a cumulative update for IE, because among these updates there are 2 such updates.

Updated:

Without any updates using the same configuration (deleting the same components) it installed successfully.

But I have made the build just like the one that worked (without july updates) and it still doesn't work. So, it is the fault of removed components, and perhaps it is Windows Search component, because I integrate WS 4.

Edited by Sgt.Riggs

• 2 months later...
I got it! :D

If you have such problem, you must either leave in vLite the component Windows Search, or NOT integrate Windows Search (WDS) 4.0 (KB940157).

Installing the update via windows update, (if you've ripped out Windows Search) also breaks the machine (perpetual reboot)