How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

OK. Thanks for answering. I will try that as soon I get home. I will post the models of the laptops later, because they are at home. At this moment, I can say only the manufacturers: Toshiba and Acer. I will report back with feedback.

LE: Just got a flashback, and I remembered the models of the two notebooks: one is Toshiba Satellite C650 and the other is Acer eMachines E728 (452G25Mnkk I think).

Another problem that I just remembered, althorugh I doubt it is related to WinSetupFromUsb, is a VERY slow USB detection at my desktop computer (WinSetupFromUSB and RMPrep). It takes around 5 minutes to detect the USB devices. The same behavior occurs on all operating systems on my machine (Win XP SP3, Win 7). At work, everything works normally. Could it be something fishy with my Asus P5Q-E motherboard?

LE2: I'm back. Indeed, direct mapping the ISO was the issue. Thank you very much, man, for your support!

Edited by MackTK

Hi,first post here

I want to install windows 2k on my netbook with a usb drive,I can make the usb successfully with this tool,but I'm getting BSOD error(inaccessible boot device) after finished loading drivers in text setup mode.

Is it because Windows 2K is not compatible with my netbook? What do I need to do to get the windows 2k installed on my netbook?

The things I used:

BenQ U101B joybook

Windows 2K SP4 CD

BUFFALO 2GB USB Drive

WinSetupFromUSB 0.1.1

I have tried the latest version of WinSetupFromUSB,it get me the same BSOD error.

Any help? Thanks.

Edited by noob2001204

LE2: I'm back. Indeed, direct mapping the ISO was the issue. Thank you very much, man, for your support!

Good to know, thanks.

Hi,first post here

I want to install windows 2k on my netbook with a usb drive,I can make the usb successfully with this tool,but I'm getting BSOD error(inaccessible boot device) after finished loading drivers in text setup mode.

Is it because Windows 2K is not compatible with my netbook? What do I need to do to get the windows 2k installed on my netbook?

The things I used:

BenQ U101B joybook

Windows 2K SP4 CD

BUFFALO 2GB USB Drive

WinSetupFromUSB 0.1.1

I have tried the latest version of WinSetupFromUSB,it get me the same BSOD error.

Any help? Thanks.

Did you use version 0.2.3 or 1.0 beta6?

Have you tried the modified ntdetect.com as mentioned in the FAQs?

Hi all, just new here so be gentle on me :blushing:

I am having a bit of trouble installing xp onto my netbook. It is an acer aspire one - originally pre-loaded with win xp home edition. I installed ubuntu netbook alongside the xp (dual boot) then wanted rid of the ubunutu ... which is where all my problems started.

Basically I messed up and now have a blank hard drive awaiting installation of xp.

When I put the usb (with winsetupfromusb on) I get the windows start install screen, but when it gets to the where I want to install it to, the only thing it shows me is my usb stick (it is an 8GB integral splash if that makes any difference - it is bootable)

So my question is, how do I get the internal hard drive showing so I can install xp on it?

The hard drive on the netbook has been formated with gparted as NTFS if that helps?

I can load ubuntu netbook from said usb stick onto said netbook with no problems.

I do need an idiots guide please lol my brain has shut down with everything I have read

Any help appreciated

Thank you kindly

Hi all, just new here so be gentle on me :blushing:

I am having a bit of trouble installing xp onto my netbook. It is an acer aspire one - originally pre-loaded with win xp home edition. I installed ubuntu netbook alongside the xp (dual boot) then wanted rid of the ubunutu ... which is where all my problems started.

Basically I messed up and now have a blank hard drive awaiting installation of xp.

When I put the usb (with winsetupfromusb on) I get the windows start install screen, but when it gets to the where I want to install it to, the only thing it shows me is my usb stick (it is an 8GB integral splash if that makes any difference - it is bootable)

So my question is, how do I get the internal hard drive showing so I can install xp on it?

The hard drive on the netbook has been formated with gparted as NTFS if that helps?

I can load ubuntu netbook from said usb stick onto said netbook with no problems.

I do need an idiots guide please lol my brain has shut down with everything I have read

Any help appreciated

Thank you kindly

My guess is that it has SATA hdd. Some solutions:

1. Check for BIOS setting S-ATA mode (must be changed to IDE or Compatibility)

2. Integrate manually SATA drivers (Mass Storage drivers) in WinXP install for text setup to recognize the HDD (can be done with nlite)

2a. Use Ryan's Driver Pack for WinXP which can integrate most of the SATA drivers.

Search around for what method suits you, they are all here somewhere. :)

Edited by MackTK

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Can I ask though if there is an easy to follow step by step guide? Or could someone walk me through it in simple steps?

Im just getting rather confused and nothing is explained in a simple (wo)mans terms.

(I wasn't kidding when I said I need an idiots guide!)

Beta 7 is giving me TiruScan Alerts on two files in the PyronSetup\I386 folder (setup_dbg.ex_ and setup.ex_).

I've applied the usual workaround (extract to machine without McAfee).

Also, you could contribute, see here:

/page__st__25

In a nutshell UNLIKE all other AV vendors, McAfee appears to ONLY take action if one of their customers reports a false positive.

Since VERY FEW (AFAIK) expert computer users and programmers use McAfee as an antivirus solution, this creates a nice loophole. (about the smartness of such a policy I won't spend any time on commenting such astonishingly stoopid behaviour ;) - surely it doesn't help the already lousy reputation McAfee has)

Out of the blue, a nice image of a cat:

funny-pictures-cat-says-your-disease-is-incurable.jpg

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

In addition to the false positive issue and McAfee- even posting in McAfee forum hasn't helped so far, even though a few McAfee staff members replied in it:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/29747?start=0&tstart=0

@sway

Do you need help with integrating mass storage drivers? Please open a new thread, this is far out of the scope of this one.

Something to get you started:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&num=50&scoring=d&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=bladder+pain+bloody+urine#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=integrate+sata+drivers+xp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=9111c1d610a8252

Or an universal solution:

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

Thanks very much for the help, very much appreciate it.

I have now successfully got xp installed and booting with no problem.

Thought I was about to go insane having read so many webpages and tutorials (most of which were useless)

I should have come here to start with.

Many Thanks again

:wub::thumbup

hi , i am a new user here so if i am doing something out of order please let me know.

I am following that project from some time and it looks really nice.Thank you ilko_t(and other devs if any) for the great work.

Today snatched the new ver.-1.0beta7 and as the before version i am getting an unknown error in setup.c on line 769 when starting the 1st part of windows xp install.I remember that in 1.0beta6

it exits the install , but on the new version keeps on.So i am curious is it a fatal error or not.

Thank you for making that great tool.

cheers

hi , i am a new user here so if i am doing something out of order please let me know.

I am following that project from some time and it looks really nice.Thank you ilko_t(and other devs if any) for the great work.

Today snatched the new ver.-1.0beta7 and as the before version i am getting an unknown error in setup.c on line 769 when starting the 1st part of windows xp install.I remember that in 1.0beta6

it exits the install , but on the new version keeps on.So i am curious is it a fatal error or not.

Thank you for making that great tool.

cheers

I guess it won't be fatal error, but that's yet to be confirmed.

By the way- on what machine are you testing? Does it have in BIOS an option for the SATA controller called IRRT, alongside IDE and AHCI?