How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Scratch that last post about not having a system - I just found a newer HP laptop (core i3, win7) that gives the same Missing MBR Helper message.

I will have some fun with my stick (lol) tomorrow and see what I come up with and post the results.

If I ask some dumb questions along the way, please forgive me.

Ok, I got it to boot into the troublesome PC.

Here is how:

1. Used RMPREP to prep the drive using the XP/ntdlr setting and NTFS.

2. Used Parted Magic to add 2 additional primary partitions to the stick (using the stick with Win764, Vista64, Vista32).

3. Used version 1.0 beta 7 to copy files as normal.

Presto - that's it. It booted right up on the HP laptop - and I tested the win7/Vista setups from all 3 partitions.

PS - About the dell issue - I found your post with the HEX ntdetect alternative, so I used the HEX program and saved the file, but I have yet to copy it to the stick. I will post about if it works or not.

If it does, then this stick will be the ultimate windows boot stick for home users.

Thank god bootit.exe worked on my thumb drive!

2. Used Parted Magic to add 2 additional primary partitions to the stick (using the stick with Win764, Vista64, Vista32).

Why? :unsure:

I mean there is no need of Partition Magic.

You can use the filter driver and make the stick "fixed", then partition it "normally" or, unless I am mistaken, since Vista :ph34r: diskpart can be used "directly" on a stick.

jaclaz

I copied the ntdetect.com file into my USB root - but should I replace the ntdetect.com in the i386 folder of the three different Windows XP installations I have on the stick?

I copied the ntdetect.com file into my USB root - but should I replace the ntdetect.com in the i386 folder of the three different Windows XP installations I have on the stick?

Are you sure you have an \I386\ for Vista :ph34r: and 7? :w00t: With a NTDETECT.COM in them? :unsure:

And yes, normally you change it in the \I386\ of the XP (and or 2003) source, before running WinsetupFromUSBwithGUI or you will need to change it also inside the actual .iso, see here:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I already completed the entire transfer of the OS disks to my thumb drive using version 1.0 beta 7.

In the WINSETUP folder on the thumb drive it lists the 3 different Windows XP installations that I have (Home, MCE, Pro) - in these folders are the respective i386 folders. I should just be able to copy the modified ntdetect directly to these three i386 folders on the thumb drive ... right?

In the WINSETUP folder on the thumb drive it lists the 3 different Windows XP installations that I have (Home, MCE, Pro) - in these folders are the respective i386 folders. I should just be able to copy the modified ntdetect directly to these three i386 folders on the thumb drive ... right?

Well, you posted about XP, Vista :ph34r: and 7, not about three versions of XP. ;)

Yes, you should change the NTDETECT.COM in the three \I386\ but you need to ALSO change it into the .iso, READ the given thread.

jaclaz

jaclaz - thanks for the info.

I replaced the ntdetect in the i386 folder by simply copying and pasting.

I used ULTRAISO to open the .iso files and replace the ntdetect file there.

When ULTRAISO saved the new ISO files - they were a little different in size. The originals were 1100kb or so - the new ultraiso saves are 800kb or so.

NOTE: The new ntdetect.com was the correct size (47,596 bytes).

Is this ok?

Ok, I tested the Stick on my Bench PC with another hard drive.

It ran the XP setup and fully installed.

This was not a 'trouble' system (e.g. dell) so I dont know if it would work there - but does the fact that it loaded and installed mean that the ntdetect that I put into the .ISO file is working? Or do I NEED to test it on one of the trouble dell systems?

This was not a 'trouble' system (e.g. dell) so I dont know if it would work there - but does the fact that it loaded and installed mean that the ntdetect that I put into the .ISO file is working? Or do I NEED to test it on one of the trouble dell systems?

Yes it should mean that, strangely enough, the modified .iso works allright. :) (that was the feared issue, more often than you would like .iso's modified with .iso editors don't boot properly anymore/have strange quirks :ph34r:, expecially XP setup related ones, errors like missing txtsetup.sif, etc. are common)

jaclaz

Need your help. How to make a multiboot disk with win 2003 server and linux red hat 5.4? Where can I find detailed instructions with screenshots or a clear sequence of actions? I was not able to understand myself.

Need your help. How to make a multiboot disk with win 2003 server and linux red hat 5.4? Where can I find detailed instructions with screenshots or a clear sequence of actions? I was not able to understand myself.

Use 1.0 beta7.

Format the USB stick in FAT32, use the tools included.

Select Windows 2000/XP/2003, point to the source directory.

Select Parted Magic/Ubuntu/Other G4D compatible ISO, point to the Red Hat ISO file.

Press GO.

You may need to defragment the Red Hat ISO file once it's on the USB stick, use contig or wincontig. Use google to find links.

WinContig is already included in WinSetupFromUSB directory\files\tools\WinContig.

Once you boot Red Hat installer press enter for default boot options, further in the process select Hard Drive for Installation Method, select the usb device and for directory where the ISO is type

./

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-installmethod-x86.html

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-begininstall-hd-x86.html