How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

This shouldn't have anything to do with the versions. The programs which format drive are external and never been changed.

It seems, there is no GRUB on stick.

Reformat the stick, try another stick, double check BIOS settings.

I try use two different stick, on both WinSetupFromUSB versions. On version 0.1.1 all right, but on version 2.1, I don't see grub menu.

How large is the USB stick? What files system did you use to format it with? Using PEtoUSB or HP format utility? Did you format it at all?

I use 1Gb and 8Gb stick's. Format with FAT and FAT32 and using both PEtoUSB and HP format utility.

What did i see:

First step: On eeePC I press Esc for call boot order menu.

13062009005.th.jpg

Second step: I see second part (Windows boot menu) from stick. (no GRUB menu)

13062009014.th.jpg

Edited by NT Man

Hi I have problem

The boot from usb flash drive is OK and run windows XP setup in notebook MSI wind u100

but when I try Delete Partition I have message : Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.

What I need to do, to format drive in setup XP?

You may get PartedMagic and put it on the USB stick, delete all partitions and start Setup again.
Well, this is different that what you posted in your first post ;)

Is Windows 2003 what you run WSFUSB under, or what you put onto the USB stick?

Here is a link to pre 0.2.2, which has some checks if grub4dos BS is installed properly and if not- puts grub4dos MBR instead. Please try it and let me know the result. If still have problems- attach WinSetupFromUSB.log file found in program directory.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-adccfd78.html

grub4dos in MBR help me, thanks.

My log attached here: WinSetupFromUSB.zip

Is Windows 2003 what you run WSFUSB under, or what you put onto the USB stick?

Both. I run WSFUSB under Windows 2003 and put distrib Windows 2003 onto the USB stick.

Edited by NT Man

You may get PartedMagic and put it on the USB stick, delete all partitions and start Setup again.

Thanks, I was thinking something wrong with usb flash drive XP setup.

but I not managed to run PartedMagic from usb flash drive

I format a hard drive with BartPE on usb flash drive.

@NT Man

Lets check something if you don't mind, it seems grubinst fails on NTFS and Vista/7, maybe it doesn't like 2003 too...

Please open up CMD and cd to \winsetupfromusb\files\grub4dos\

Then run:

grubinst -v -l (hd3)

If that's the USB stick according to partition size then run:

grubinst -v (hd3,0)

I need the result of both commands.

Edited by ilko_t

I need the result of both commands.
C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v -l (hd3)

Partition list

# id base leng

0 0E 3F 1EBBC1 (983M)

C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>grubinst -v (hd3,0)

Start sector: 0x3F

Image type: FAT12/FAT16

Install mode

C:\WinSetup-0-2-2pre2\files\grub4dos>

It seems there is still a problem

Now I can't boot without stick.

At each boot I see

A disk read error occurred

Press Ctrl+Alt+ el to restart

Boot sector on SSD don't want updated. Rescue console couldn't help. FIXBOOT and FIXMBR no affect.

Edited by NT Man

Did you delete all ( this means all, not all but one) partitions and create a single one on the SSD?

What file system did you format it in?

Do you have an option in BIOS "OS Installation"?

Also:

Using the 8/16GB SSD on the Eee 900

If you're installing on an Eee 900 and want to use the larger 8 or 16GB SSD, you'll want to disable the onboard 4GB SSD in the BIOS prior to installing Windows. Otherwise Windows will insist on writing its bootsector and files to the 4GB drive, possibly corrupting what is already there. Most guides on the subject assume you're using a desktop that you can swap master and slave drives on, or remove drives you don't want to affect - not so with the soldered 4GB SSD.

To disable the onboard SSD:

1. Hold F2 and turn on the Eee.

2. When the BIOS configuration screen appears, press right to switch to the “Advanced” tab.

3. Select “IDE Configuration”, and set the IDE Master to “None” instead of onboard SSD.

4. The 4GB SSD will still appear in the Windows Setup program (text portion), but you can safely ignore it - Windows will not attempt to place its bootsector there, and instead will keep everything self-contained on the 16GB SSD.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

Did you delete all ( this means all, not all but one) partitions and create a single one on the SSD?

Yes. On my Eee-PC two SSD. First 4GB, have one partition, there I am installing Windows 2003. Second 16Gb, have one partition too, there I am store my data.

What file system did you format it in?

All partition's formated in NTFS.

Do you have an option in BIOS "OS Installation"?

Yes. This option during Windows 2003 installation is set to "Finished". But this option on my opinion affect only on USB mode. Where is set to "Start" USB controller work as USB 1.1 (operation's with stick are very slow), where is set to "Finished" USB controller work as USB 2.0.

When I try fix boot with Windows restore console I try set this option at both position.

Unfortunately, I never understood what it was, but Paragon Hard Disk Manager fix it, and now Windows 2003 boot properly without stick.

Unclear why FIXMBR not help, nor fdisk / cmbr x

Edited by NT Man

hi guys ! i have a little small problem with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2 which i don't know how to solve it . i have searched for answers on forum but i couldn't find something :|

i use a 250 GB external HDD which is partitioned on 3 , first has 5 GB , and the rest up to 250 .. all work like a charm , the only problem is if i install XP from it , Windows sees it as a removable drive and i can't access the other two partitions , only the first one. :blink: it's happening only at me or it's a bug ? tried with hitachi microfilter but still doesn't work..

nForce :)

Edited by nForce4