How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

If you don't know enough about a topic to answer the questions properly then don't bother. People will appreciate a well thought out answer more than a quick joke.

People will also appreciate a less aggressive way to address other members, and expecially when addressing developers that share their knowledge and programs and also spend their time helping members with the problems they may have.

For the record, ilko's joke is quite common, and derives from my "standard reply #32":

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=2587

jaclaz

TACHE!!! I wish more people would take more time with their messages and critique them. It would make for far less interpretation and make it WAY MORE convenient to respond. Instead of having to guess what it is that people are requesting (and/or saying). I really try hard to make my messages readable so others can read them and understand WHAT is being said. I go so far as to reread my messages at least twice (if not a bunch more times like especially when I am tired) for readability, because I really have bad English and I know this. So I take the extra time to critique my messages, I even go so far as to use WORD or some other word processor. I just wish other people would give the same courtesy to others especially when it comes to requesting advice from those who VOLUNTEER their time.

----------------------

Now for another matter, is there some way to add a user developed script to the WinSetupFromUSB program so as to include other files and folders outside of the usual &OEM&, COMPONENTS, I386, etc., etc; that the program (WinSetupFromUSB) uses to make the bootable USB? Because I am having a problem of knowing when the $WIN_NT$.~LS renames to WIN_NT.LS and back again. This tends to make for messy scripts to try to compensate and impossible in certain conditions like when I have multiple reboots to install drivers and access scripts from the USB, during the GUI (user account phase, I don't know what this is called but it would be during the RunOnceEx phase). Cause I have noticed that this folder ($WIN_NT$.~LS) changes at certain times during the install and has broken my scripts on a number of occasions. Anyway the only cure I see is being able to add this user generated script so that other folders and/or files can be added to the bootable USB on an alternate directory that is outside of the usual directories (like $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BS) that is created on the bootable USB.

Thanks so much for your time,

Craig

PS. Oh btw, I forgot to mention that I am still installing XP SP 3 onto a Vista Machine (XP being the secondary OS on an ulternate partition).

@Cooldown

Which Windows Operating System and Service Pack are you installing with your integrated drivers? I agree with Iko_T more information is needed, before an answer can be perscribed.

Edited by Macster

Hi. I made boot-able my transcend 8gb usb pen drive. I formatted it as FAT32. I tried to install my windows xp professional service pack2, but it works only at the first step. It doesn’t permit me to complete the installation with the 2nd and 3d step. I choose 2nd and 3d step when it boots from the usb pen drive, but it begin the installation again. Some suggest pls.

Thanks!

Edited by yahoogle

This guide is really cool... :D

though i made some changes on it..... like i edited the WINNT.sif

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=1
floppyless=1

[GuiRunOnce]
"binifix4.cmd c:"
"undoren.cmd"
sc config rdummy start= disabled

[SetupParams]
UserExecute = "ren_fold.cmd"

i deleted most all of of the unattended configurations ..cause it bypass some steps of installations... and also deleted the $OEM$ cause the configuration is not good.. so i decide to not include it....

and one more thing....

why in my boot.ini show 4 OS menus:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=0
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

maybe there's something wrong on. binifix4.cmd

Now for another matter, is there some way to add a user developed script to the WinSetupFromUSB program so as to include other files and folders outside of the usual &OEM&, COMPONENTS, I386, etc., etc; that the program (WinSetupFromUSB) uses to make the bootable USB? Because I am having a problem of knowing when the $WIN_NT$.~LS renames to WIN_NT.LS and back again. This tends to make for messy scripts to try to compensate and impossible in certain conditions like when I have multiple reboots to install drivers and access scripts from the USB, during the GUI (user account phase, I don't know what this is called but it would be during the RunOnceEx phase). Cause I have noticed that this folder ($WIN_NT$.~LS) changes at certain times during the install and has broken my scripts on a number of occasions. Anyway the only cure I see is being able to add this user generated script so that other folders and/or files can be added to the bootable USB on an alternate directory that is outside of the usual directories (like $WIN_NT$.~LS and $WIN_NT$.~BS) that is created on the bootable USB.

Hi,

Have a look at this post, it's a summary what actually is happening:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=797585

~BT and ~LS folders are renamed at T-9, the last possible place before end of GUI mode. They are renamed back upon first login.

You can put any script, using the various options you have BEFORE SetupParams (T-9), when ~LS/~BT names are intact. You may also add your script or launch it by ren_fold.cmd, before the renaming occurs. Or use presetup.cmd if that early stage suits you.

If you need to launch a script during first logon, you can add it to undoren.cmd or make it launch by the same, after the renaming part in it.

In all scripts USB drive letter is already found for you.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

If I add our stuff, the timeline would look like:

»Text-mode Setup

1. Loads Drivers

2. Copies files required for Setup to the Hard Disk

3. Copies the contents of your $OEM$ folders to the Hard Disk <--- this is done by presetup.cmd because we have to remove unattended section in winnt.sif

4. Reboots the PC...

» GUI-mode Setup

0. Presetup.cmd is launched

1. DetachedProgram executes from winnt.sif at T-39 stage

2. Installs Devices

3. Installs Network

4. Installs Start Menu Items

5. Registers Components

6. svcpack.inf executes at T-13 minute stage

7. cmdlines.txt executes at T-12 minute stage

8. SetupParams executes from winnt.sif at T-9 minute stage <----ren_fold.cmd is launched renaming ~BT and ~LS in order to avoid 10.

9. Saves Settings

10. Deletes temporary files then reboots...

» First Logon

1. Windows logs you in and loads personal settings

2. Both GUIRunOnce from winnt.sif and RunOnceEX executes at the same time <----undoren.cmd is launched to rename back ~BT and ~LS folders

3. Desktop and Taskbar loads

Note: What presetup.cmd does:

1) merges the removed unattended section from winnt.sif to \windows\system32\$winnt$.inf

2) If oempreinstall=1 is found in winnt.sif, copies $oem$ folders

3) If OemPnPDriversPath is found spdrvscn32/64.exe is launched to add those paths in registry, details

4) launches binifix.cmd to fix boot.ini on the target hard disk from rdisk(Z) to rdisk(Z-1)

In vers. 0.2, which is nearly ready, ~BT and ~LS folders will not be renamed anymore, instead, $winnt$.inf is changed by binifix.cmd to msdosinitiated=0 thus at T-1 Setup does not delete ~LS and ~BT folders and we do not need to rename them to avoid that.

0.2 was delayed until figure out how to amend $winnt$.inf on x64 windows from 32bit environment, but luckily this is now resolved with the help of this excellent info:

http://blogs.sepago.de/nicholas/2008/03/13...on-windows-x64/

I hope knowing more how all this works, will let you add whatever you want to the USB stick.

Hi. I made boot-able my transcend 8gb usb pen drive. I formatted it as FAT32. I tried to install my windows xp professional service pack2, but it works only at the first step. It doesn’t permit me to complete the installation with the 2nd and 3d step. I choose 2nd and 3d step when it boots from the usb pen drive, but it begin the installation again. Some suggest pls.

Thanks!

Can you post your menu.lst and winsetup.lst in root of the USB disk?

As I get it you select Second part of setup, but actually the first part (Text mode) is launched instead, right?

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=1
floppyless=1

[GuiRunOnce]
"undoren.cmd"

[SetupParams]

i deleted most all of of the unattended configurations ..cause it bypass some steps of installations... and also deleted the $OEM$ cause the configuration is not good.. so i decide to not include it....

and one more thing....

[Boot Loader]
timeout=0
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The program does not add anything extra to winnt.sif, except a few required lines. If you used the earlier versions- they use unattended.txt if found in your I386 folder AND if winnt.sif was not found.

The program does not add anything to $OEM$ as well, it's copied unmodified from your source.

As for the boot.ini- if you do a few installations one after another, Setup reads the existing boot.ini and add it's contents to the new boot.ini, hence the duplicate lines.

The last line is to be able to perform repair install from USB or Recovery console if started from USB to be able to see your installation. Without it neither will happen.

Edited by ilko_t

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can run WinSetupFromUSB multiple times to get multiple XP editions on 1 USB drive, correct?

Yep-

What it can be used for adding to your USB stick/disk:

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10). They have to be in the first partition of the disk! Existing folders ~BT and ~LS and TXTSETUP.SIF will be renamed, and SETUPLDR.BIN and SETUPDD.SYS patched against the new names. Checksum checks are also corrected. BTS OEM folders are supported and renamed accordingly

Is it the same with vista? I want to have 32bit and 64bit vista on 1 drive, along with multiple XP.

From the same post:

- Vista setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista setup in another partition. It can be placed on any primary partition.

Alternative way, to place them on the same partition:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=114543

First of all thank you for this great project.

One question: Now more and more notebook manufacturers use a hidden partition at the beginning of the hard disk for system recovery files or other stuff.

Is it possible that the GUI part during setup doesn't start, because the original boot.ini refers to this partition? Error: hal.dll not found.

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT

If i don't want to format the whole hard disk and want to keep this hidden partition, how is the workaround?

Can i make boot.ini adjustments and tell WinSetupFromUSB, that Windows will be installed on disk 0, partition 2?

Thanks for any help in advance.

HKCU, a few pictures should explain it better:

magicalsnap200811020108jv3.th.jpg

First partition is hidden, second is our target:

You may add a second entry in BOOT.INI as shown, or make the first one, which is default partition 2 and the second- partition 1, entirely up to you:

magicalsnap200812012217kp3.th.jpg

This will produce this BOOT.INI on the root of USB disk, you can make it such manually:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Home Edition setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT

The part you are playing with is partition(N), which should be the same as on the first screenshot, displaying where Windows is installed in- C: Partition2.

Further details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=116766

Q4/A4

Edited by ilko_t

Hi,

Have a look at this post, it's a summary what actually is happening:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=797585

~BT and ~LS folders are renamed at T-9, the last possible place before end of GUI mode. They are renamed back upon first login.

You can put any script, using the various options you have BEFORE SetupParams (T-9), when ~LS/~BT names are intact. You may also add your script or launch it by ren_fold.cmd, before the renaming occurs. Or use presetup.cmd if that early stage suits you.

If you need to launch a script during first logon, you can add it to undoren.cmd or make it launch by the same, after the renaming part in it.

In all scripts USB drive letter is already found for you.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

If I add our stuff, the timeline would look like:

»Text-mode Setup

1. Loads Drivers

2. Copies files required for Setup to the Hard Disk

3. Copies the contents of your $OEM$ folders to the Hard Disk <--- this is done by presetup.cmd because we have to remove unattended section in winnt.sif

4. Reboots the PC...

» GUI-mode Setup

0. Presetup.cmd is launched

1. DetachedProgram executes from winnt.sif at T-39 stage

2. Installs Devices

3. Installs Network

4. Installs Start Menu Items

5. Registers Components

6. svcpack.inf executes at T-13 minute stage

7. cmdlines.txt executes at T-12 minute stage

8. SetupParams executes from winnt.sif at T-9 minute stage <----ren_fold.cmd is launched renaming ~BT and ~LS in order to avoid 10.

9. Saves Settings

10. Deletes temporary files then reboots...

» First Logon

1. Windows logs you in and loads personal settings

2. Both GUIRunOnce from winnt.sif and RunOnceEX executes at the same time <----undoren.cmd is launched to rename back ~BT and ~LS folders

3. Desktop and Taskbar loads

Note: What presetup.cmd does:

1) merges the removed unattended section from winnt.sif to \windows\system32\$winnt$.inf

2) If oempreinstall=1 is found in winnt.sif, copies $oem$ folders

3) If OemPnPDriversPath is found spdrvscn32/64.exe is launched to add those paths in registry, details

4) launches binifix.cmd to fix boot.ini on the target hard disk from rdisk(Z) to rdisk(Z-1)

In vers. 0.2, which is nearly ready, ~BT and ~LS folders will not be renamed anymore, instead, $winnt$.inf is changed by binifix.cmd to msdosinitiated=0 thus at T-1 Setup does not delete ~LS and ~BT folders and we do not need to rename them to avoid that.

0.2 was delayed until figure out how to amend $winnt$.inf on x64 windows from 32bit environment, but luckily this is now resolved with the help of this excellent info:

http://blogs.sepago.de/nicholas/2008/03/13...on-windows-x64/

I hope knowing more how all this works, will let you add whatever you want to the USB stick.

Thanks!

Can you post your menu.lst and winsetup.lst in root of the USB disk?

As I get it you select Second part of setup, but actually the first part (Text mode) is launched instead, right?

[Data]
MsDosInitiated=1
floppyless=1

[GuiRunOnce]
"undoren.cmd"

[SetupParams]

and one more thing....

[Boot Loader]
timeout=0
[Operating Systems]

The program does not add anything extra to winnt.sif, except a few required lines. If you used the earlier versions- they use unattended.txt if found in your I386 folder AND if winnt.sif was not found.

The program does not add anything to $OEM$ as well, it's copied unmodified from your source.

As for the boot.ini- if you do a few installations one after another, Setup reads the existing boot.ini and add it's contents to the new boot.ini, hence the duplicate lines.

The last line is to be able to perform repair install from USB or Recovery console if started from USB to be able to see your installation. Without it neither will happen.

i know now why it causes to list multiple menus on boot up... maybe you need to add a script on your command cause once the setup restarts... i know i restarted my setup cause of power interruption(2 time) ..

i just replaced binifix4.cmd wuth my cutom binfix4.cmd so it wont listed again as the setup restarts

Hello...

I have a bug to report, might be a possible bug...

Your WMI is broken, that's why. It's been discussed a few posts above, along with possible fixes for WMI, please look at the last couple of pages in this thread for WMI.
... maybe you need to add a script on your command cause once the setup restarts... i know i restarted my setup cause of power interruption(2 time) ..

i just replaced binifix4.cmd wuth my cutom binfix4.cmd so it wont listed again as the setup restarts

Please do now quote such lengthy posts just to add an answer, there are FAST REPLY and ADD REPLY buttons ;)

I did not get what to add where. I believe the entries were added by Windows setup itself, so why would we have to fix them by binifix.cmd? This is a rare case, besides, less interventions=>less troubles.