How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Which version of the program have you used? I guess 0.2.3, right?

WinSetupFromUSB doesn't made such error from USB Flash
Let's stand correct, it's windows throwing an error, for a reason yet to be determined.

Windows handles USB flash and hard disks in a different way. In addition, USB hard disks have a spin-up time as well as power saving functions which may cause a critical delay when accessing the disk.

i also found that there is no need for boot.ini to be in the root of the USB at all. i'm booting from internal hard disk like this:

map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Well, don't, that seems quite wrong with unpredictable results, despite the fact it might have worked for you.

Stick to tested and supported method of booting, to start with.

Which version of the program have you used? I guess 0.2.3, right?

Yes

Let's stand correct, it's windows throwing an error, for a reason yet to be determined.

Windows handles USB flash and hard disks in a different way. In addition, USB hard disks have a spin-up time as well as power saving functions which may cause a critical delay when accessing the disk.

ok, it seems that i just have to stay with the USB Flash.

Well, don't, that seems quite wrong with unpredictable results, despite the fact it might have worked for you.

Stick to tested and supported method of booting, to start with.

Please try it ilko_t, don't say "quite wrong" only cause i'm newbie, i just wanted to point to easier method.

Please try it ilko_t, don't say "quite wrong" only cause i'm newbie, i just wanted to point to easier method.

Not saying because you are newbie, I don't even have a slight idea how newbie you possible could be reading only a few lines of yours, nor can I judge. :)

Even the idea is very good.

Lets put it this way- you have an issue, and you have a good idea how to boot the second part of setup, eliminating the need of boot.ini/ntldr/ntdetect.com on the USB disk.

Let's focus on the issue first- the start with, go back to the default behavior, leave boot.ini/ntldr/ntdetect.com alone on the USB disk and boot ntldr as the default and take it from there, eliminating any possible user interventions.

Once resolved, move to the good idea, test it with various ntldr/ntdetect.com versions and computers, confirm if that doesn't mess up disk enumeration later on and we are good to say "hey, that's a brilliant and working idea!". For now, for me, it's just a good idea, which in my slowly precessing and conservative mind needs time to bloom :lol:

ok, it seems that i just have to stay with the USB Flash.
Not necessarily. If you have the willingness to troubleshoot the problem you have, here we are, all yours.

But you will have to forget what you have in mind, and just follow the advices given. Sounds reasonable? :)

Or are you giving up only because there was no quick answer do A and all is good? :whistle:

Yes

There is also a much newer beta versions with lots of improvements over the previous versions, the first one having no requirement to boot from USB twice, and being beta only because the method of installing is relatively new and not that long tested.

For everyone using 1.0 beta7 version of the program and already put Windows 2000, XP, or 2003 source(s) on USB disk- a quick bug fix before the next version is ready.

There are a few lines in winsetup.lst to be edited to avoid possible "I/O error...." errors at the very beginning of Text mode.

The error would come up only if you previously started one of your Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup sources on computer with 2 or more internal hard disks and use the same setup source on a computer with different number of internal disks.

This happens because BootDevice and SetupSourceDevice values in TXTSETUP.SIF in the small ISO file got permanently changed to new rdisk(X) values, thus consequent search for rdisk(1) & replace with rdisk(Y) will fail as rdisk(1) has been set to other value, according to the number of the hard drives connected in the previous boot of this menu entry. In other words- Setup will be searching for its files in the wrong disk and will throw an error that the disk is not accessible.

Edit in root of the USB disk winsetup.lst in Notepad and change the line:

map /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)

where _ISO_FILENAME will vary according to your source, to:

map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)
map --e820cycles=3

Also replace GRLDR file in root with the one in this archive:

http://grub4dos-chenall.googlecode.com/files/grub4dos-0.4.5b-2011-12-30.7z

You need only the GRLDR file from the archive.

If you already are experiencing the "I/O error", you may recreate the USB disk, or edit TXTSETUP.SIF in all present small ISO files in WINSETUP folder using UltraISO or a similar program and change all occurrences in SetupData section from rdisk(X) to rdisk(1) where X will vary. Next change the above mentioned lines in winsetup.lst to avoid further issues of this sort.

None of this works for me.

I've tried 5 programs to get xp on usb. They all don't work including this one. Why is there such a large volume of problems with xp on usb. MS made one that works for win7 that works 100%, unetbootin works 100% with linux distros. What is the deal with XP on USB that is so dam troublesome? Can I get an amen?

Anyways, how can I get this program to work?

I get I/o errors, I did the edit thing, then I get couple other errors with numbers like Error 11, (I just got error 15 right after I replaced GRLDR with recommended GRLDR in the zip.)

I am so frustrated, I've been on this mission for 15 hours. I'd use a cd rom drive but I dont have one and cannot get one.

Edited by IceBoy

None of this works for me.

Then you have some other problem.

Why is there such a large volume of problems with xp on usb

Because installer used in up to 2003 incl. is poorly documented and ancient, since times when not only USB boot was not possible, but USB was not even out. Thus USB has never been kept in mind.

unetbootin works 100% with linux distros

Open source? If Microsoft have published Windows code it probably would have been much different. But that's another story.

Anyways, how can I get this program to work?

Mostly by giving proper information what exactly the errors are and when they appear.

I get I/o errors

When exactly and what error code?

The easiest thing would be to start from a scratch. Reformat the USB disk and prepare it again. Replace the files and lines mentioned. Report what errors do you see and when exactly.

I am thinking that BIOS sees the USB disk as a superfloppy/zip disk, hence the problems. But let's first rule out any interventions.

What hardware are you installing to? Motherboard or laptop model? Using what USB disk?

Then you have some other problem.

When exactly and what error code?

The easiest thing would be to start from a scratch. Reformat the USB disk and prepare it again. Replace the files and lines mentioned. Report what errors do you see and when exactly.

I am thinking that BIOS sees the USB disk as a superfloppy/zip disk, hence the problems. But let's first rule out any interventions.

What hardware are you installing to? Motherboard or laptop model? Using what USB disk?

I've gotten Error 11 on second time with a different hdd plugged in. The first time, I booted it up to test the program, I seen XP install blue screen, so I was like ok, it works, I shutdown, removed two hdds and plugged in the one hdd I wanted XP on, this is when Error 11 took place.

After editing everything then I got Error 15 even just with the hdd I wanted xp on, plugged in.

(A). I started a fresh day restarting from scratch, unplugged everything except the hdd I installed too and the USB card reader too SDHC Class 6 flash card.

2006 mobo.

With the procedure (A), I've managed to get XP installed on too my hdd.

Suppose the program will have to be redone for every new install of xp.

Thanks, ilko_t for the help :).

Glad you got it sorted.

By the way, you must have missed an important step:

If you already are experiencing the "I/O error", you may recreate the USB disk, or edit TXTSETUP.SIF in all present small ISO files in WINSETUP folder using UltraISO or a similar program and change all occurrences in SetupData section from rdisk(X) to rdisk(1) where X will vary. Next change the above mentioned lines in winsetup.lst to avoid further issues of this sort.

You either did not recreate the USB disk and change the lines and winsetup.lst, or did not :

edit TXTSETUP.SIF in all present small ISO files in WINSETUP folder using UltraISO or a similar program and change all occurrences in SetupData section from rdisk(X) to rdisk(1) where X will vary
and change the lines and winsetup.lst ;)
Suppose the program will have to be redone for every new install of xp.
Nope. If you prepare the USB disk and immediately change the lines in winsetup.lst then it's all good.

If you already used the USB disk on computers with more than 2 internal disks, do the above mentioned steps- TXTSETUP.SIF + WINSETUP.LST, or recreate the USB disk and immediately change the lines in winsetup.lst only.

Working on new version with a lot of fixes and changes, so meanwhile, apologies for any inconvenience caused by this bug.

Hi, I read this topic all's well but I want to put there and an image of win xp x 64 if it's posibel to do.pleas help me do theat

Install XP and Win7 onto a computer from one USB flash drive

What worries you?

XP x64 is supported. Download latest version 1.0 beta7, read the notes in the first post next to the download line, select your sources, XP x64 and 7 in one go, press GO. Do the changes mentioned in winsetup.lst so you don't have further issues after the first install. That's it.

Hi, I read this topic all's well but I want to put there and an image of win xp x 64 if it's posibel to do.pleas help me do theat

Install XP and Win7 onto a computer from one USB flash drive

What worries you?

XP x64 is supported. Download latest version 1.0 beta7, read the notes in the first post next to the download line, select your sources, XP x64 and 7 in one go, press GO. Do the changes mentioned in winsetup.lst so you don't have further issues after the first install. That's it.

I need win 7 x86+win 7 x64+ win XP x86+Win XP x64+1 .Iso File

how can i do theat?

I read this:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

and I have a problem before then

Welcome to setup

To set up win xp press enter

APPEARS BLUE SCREEN

Edited by Hacker

I need win 7 x86+win 7 x64+ win XP x86+Win XP x64+1 .Iso File

how can i do theat?

I would start by reading the first post.

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10 99 with vers. 1.0). ...

- Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 setup to different primary partitions if it's hard disk type (seen by Windows as FIXED, not REMOVABLE). If USB stick- Windows will not see any other partitions, but the first one, so you are restricted to it anyway. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista/7/Server 2008 setup in another partition. It can be placed in any primary partition. If looking for several Vista/Server 2008/7 sources in the same partition have a look here or if just for 7 or Vista here. The first link would require you manually to put everything to the USB disk, if using the second you can point the program to the prepared AOI source.

+1 .Iso File
Haven't heard about 1.ISO, can you give some clues?

I read this:

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/install-xp-from-an-iso

and I have a problem before then

Welcome to setup

To set up win xp press enter

APPEARS BLUE SCREEN

Sorry, this topic is about WinSetupFromUSB. Please open a new one describing what exactly you did.

WinSetupFromUSB has an option- Test in QEMU. What happens if you select and use it?

In QEMU Test everefing is ok but on PC appears theat img but i solv theat problem(i'v edit in file "XPpSP3.iso" edit file "TXTSETUP.SIF"from "SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)"to

"SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)") but now appears:

File \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\biosinfo.infcould not be loaded

the error code is 14

"SetupSourceDevice=\ArcName\multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)"appears:

File \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\biosinfo.infcould not be loaded

the error code is 2

...pres any key to exit .