How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

[boot Loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect

C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

Is this created in txtsetup.sif?

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone using 1.0 beta7 version of the program and already put Windows 2000, XP, or 2003 source(s) on USB disk- a quick bug fix before the next version is ready.

There are a few lines in winsetup.lst to be edited to avoid possible "I/O error...." errors at the very beginning of Text mode.

The error would come up only if you previously started one of your Windows 2000/XP/2003 setup sources on computer with 2 or more internal hard disks and use the same setup source on a computer with different number of internal disks.

This happens because BootDevice and SetupSourceDevice values in TXTSETUP.SIF in the small ISO file got permanently changed to new rdisk(X) values, thus consequent search for rdisk(1) & replace with rdisk(Y) will fail as rdisk(1) has been set to other value, according to the number of the hard drives connected in the previous boot of this menu entry. In other words- Setup will be searching for its files in the wrong disk and will throw an error that the disk is not accessible.

Edit in root of the USB disk winsetup.lst in Notepad and change the line:

map /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)

where _ISO_FILENAME will vary according to your source, to:

map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)
map --e820cycles=3

Also replace GRLDR file in root with the one in this archive:

http://grub4dos-chenall.googlecode.com/files/grub4dos-0.4.5b-2011-12-30.7z

You need only the GRLDR file from the archive.

If you already are experiencing the "I/O error", you may recreate the USB disk, or edit TXTSETUP.SIF in all present small ISO files in WINSETUP folder using UltraISO or a similar program and change all occurrences in SetupData section from rdisk(X) to rdisk(1) where X will vary. Next change the above mentioned lines in winsetup.lst to avoid further issues of this sort.

Edit in root of the USB disk winsetup.lst in Notepad and change the line:

map /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)

where _ISO_FILENAME will vary according to your source, to:

map --mem /WINSETUP/_ISO_FILENAME (0xff)

map --e820cycles=3

Works like a charm. Thanks, ilko_t

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I managed to find the tutorial to install both windows, but I have problem installing grub4dos. Every time i get error tha it cant copy the GRDL file to USB.

"Error: Grldr failed to copy to USB drive G:! File not found"

I have followed the steps shown here: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/install-xp-and-win7-to-internal-hdd

You can also try to use the procedure described here

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24424

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23931

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=23553

In that case:

- First use BOOT_USB.exe to prepare USB drive for booting with Grub4dos Menu and using Boot Image file

- After booting with PE or Portable XP from USB, you can use R-mouse to Mount Windows Setup ISO in ImDisk virtual drive

- Then use WinNTSetup2_x86.exe to prepare your Target drive for Install of XP or Windows 7

- Reboot from Target drive and Install XP or Windows 7

Edited by wimb

Wimb , thanks for your help. Here is what I need. I need to use USB to instal two different versions of Windows XP pro, and All In One Windows 7.

I managed to solve problem with copyng GLRDL file by downloading the latest RMPrepUSB program

Now, If I format the drive using NTFS file system, I get error while booting from usb "Cannot find GRLDR" (or something). If I format the flash driver using FAT, everything is OK. I need NTFS because it is faster and one of my ISO's is 4 GB large. Can I use BOOT_USB that you suggested to install multiple version of Windows?

After all of this, I would like to add portable versions of Windows XP and Win7, BootCD and UBCD. Is all this possible on one USB flash disk?

Thanks for your anwser in advance

Edited by Bojann

You can use BOOT_USB.exe to format USB-stick with NTFS filesystem.

Instead of USB-stick, it is much better to use Portable 2.5 inch USB harddisk e.g. Samsung S2

In that case the speed is much higher and the larger capacity (e.g. 500 GB) is useful for your purpose.

Besides, then you can use normal windows OS to partition and format such USB disk,

and you can use BOOT_USB.exe to prepare USB drive for booting with Grub4dos Menu and using Boot Image file.

You have enough space for all your Windows Setup ISO files and can make it bootable with all other IMG or VHD files.

Edited by wimb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of setting up xp from Samsung G2 320 GB (USB Hard Disk)

my USB Hard is formated as follows:

1st primary partition NTFS - 8 GB Active (destination drive)

2nd extended ~290 GB

After text setup finished, just after boot screen passes, it's BSOD 0x000000C2

Any info?

Is this a customised source?

I have tried both (customized and untouched) with sata.

Do you boot for the second part from USB again or directly from the internal disk?

it doesn't matter also, i thought it might be problem with this rdummy.sys, cause WinSetupFromUSB doesn't made such error from USB Flash.

i also found that there is no need for boot.ini to be in the root of the USB at all. i'm booting from internal hard disk like this:

map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1