map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
ls (0xff)/ && root (0xff)
ls (0xff)/ && chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN
ls (0xff)/ || rootnoverify (hd0)
ls (0xff)/ || chainloader (hd0)+1
boot

What line should I replace with ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd1) ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0)? Just want to make sure I am replacing the rights ones so I am not getting false errors.

grub> find /usbdrive.tag

(fd0,0)

(fd0)

Only time I see grub4dos label a USB this way..1 the format of the USB or 2 the age of the machine. Lots of older stuff labels removable from the bios as floppy.

ilko_t, also on my computer (just made the discovery) I have 3 hard drives...1. XP 2. Windows 7 3. logical and it's not active. and when my CD loads my menu.lst from USB, my USB drive is (hd3,0)...my point is, doesn't label my USB as the last drive in the loop but it labels the last drive in the Active partition loop...example

If you have 5 hard drives and 4 are active then the CD would load you USB drive as (hd5,0). grub4dos must ignore non active partitions.

Edited by laddanator

Hi

I have a problem. I've tried to install xp on a laptop.

I pass step 1 without any problems whatsoever.

As soon as I hit enter to start step 2 however this pops up:

Booting Second part of 2000/XP/2003 setup / Boot first internal hard disk

2 (HEX :0x2)

What to do?

Hi

I have a problem. I've tried to install xp on a laptop.

I pass step 1 without any problems whatsoever.

As soon as I hit enter to start step 2 however this pops up:

Booting Second part of 2000/XP/2003 setup / Boot first internal hard disk

What to do?

Are you using winsetupfromusb 1.0 beta 7? If so, I never use the second part of the install from winsetup.lst. On my DVD or USB when computer reboots after the first part of install and it boots my USB, I boot straight to the hard drive and the install continues.

timeout 15
color white/blue

title Boot From Hard Drive (Windows Vista/7 or Xp)\nBoot Into Main OS Drive
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map () (hd1)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) ()
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map --hook
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1 || chainloader /ntldr

You don't have to let grub4dos boot to your hard drive after first part. I have the entree just in case bios boots to the USB instead of hard drive and my unattended install is not broken. If you have bios set to boot hard drive first, then just do the first part and boot to the hard drive and the install should finish and skip the second part of install from the winsetup.lst. Every machine is different but I have preformed 50 plus installs on more than two dozen machines and I never use the second part from the winsetup.lst....notice my timeout value?

Edited by laddanator

laddanator thank you so much! I would have never thought about simply skipping step 2. I thought all steps are required for the installation to work. I've installed XP without any problem simply by skipping step 2. Once again thank you very very much!

laddanator thank you so much! I would have never thought about simply skipping step 2. I thought all steps are required for the installation to work. I've installed XP without any problem simply by skipping step 2. Once again thank you very very much!

I am glad I could be of service. I have found in this business no two techs do things exactly alike. Sometime there is 10 ways to accomplish the same gold. Like for example if you see my XP menu.lst above, I took ilko_t menu.lst and made it my own...almost totally different but in the end, the same result.

I also have this error:

File \WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 14

Without any mappings usbdrive.tag is on:

grub> find /usbdrive.tag
(fd0,0)
(fd0)

That's very nice machine...

What's motherboard model and make?

It's a barebone laptop from Uniwill, model 223ii. Intel Pentium-M, 855GME, ICH4-M, ide hdd, ide dvdrw (dead; cannot be disabled via BIOS), no floppy drive.

http://www.uniwill.com/products/other/223ii0/223ii0_print.php

What's the name of the ISO file in WINSETUP folder, or just attach winsetup.lst with your next post. I'll prepare another file to test several options.

I use not altered, stock winsetup.lst (except, that I do not use "savedefault"/"default"):

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 10
#default /windefault

title Back to Main Menu
configfile /menu.lst

title First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup from partition 0
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
ls /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO || find --set-root --ignore-cd /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO
map /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff)
#savedefault 2
checkrange 0x00,0x01 read 0x8280 && configfile /BOOTWS/fd.lst
checkrange 8 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/8.lst
checkrange 7 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/7.lst
checkrange 6 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/6.lst
checkrange 5 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/5.lst
checkrange 4 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/4.lst
checkrange 3 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/3.lst
checkrange 2 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/2.lst
checkrange 1 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/1.lst
boot
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook

title Second part of 2000/XP/2003 setup / Boot first internal hard disk
checkrange 8 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/8.lst
checkrange 7 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/7.lst
checkrange 6 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/6.lst
checkrange 5 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/5.lst
checkrange 4 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/4.lst
checkrange 3 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/3.lst
checkrange 2 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/2.lst
checkrange 1 calc *0x475 & 0xFF && configfile /BOOTWS/1.lst
boot

What is the result of these two commands in grub4dos CLI?

read 0x8280
calc *0x475 & 0xFF

grub> read 0x8280
Address 0x8280: Value 0x0
grub> calc *0x475 & 0xFF
1 (HEX:0x1)

Do you have an option in BIOS for the USB disk emulation- USB-FD, HDD-ZIP, USB-HD? If yes, what is it set to?

No, I do not have any options to set USB disk emulation in BIOS. In setting boot order menu, it's just "Removable dev.".

How did you partition and format the USB disk, using which program and which options?

I used RMPREPUSB 2.1.630, set MS-DOS bootable, FAT32, and no other options set (this means 1 partition, not 2), and install grub4dos to partition boot sector, not to MBR. Because this is the only way I can make USB flash drive bootable on this machine.

So here's the rest of my story.

I use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0beta7, and make XP PRO SP3 setup. When I boot this made USB drive on that machine, I get the error (I think that at this point BOOTWS\fd.lst gets executed):

The system encountered an I/O error
accessing multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1).

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

The good thing is, that if I load Plop boot manager and then choose boot from USB, it works! Setup continues without errors (root drive/partition becomes hd0,0).

The next is a complete mistery to me.

If I don't use Plop, setup throws "I/O error", as mentioned above. If I enter grub edit mode (press 'e') on file winsetup.lst, and temporarily remove (press 'd') the line: "checkrange 0x00,0x01 read 0x8280 && configfile /BOOTWS/fd.lst", then (I think) the BOOTWS\1.lst gets executed, and I get the error "biosinfo.inf could not be loaded". Next, If I reboot/shutdown, and let grub4dos to proceed without modifications I always get the "biosinfo.inf" error. I did not made any permanent modifications, but somehow boot process gets modified permanently (and Plop doesn't help this time, even after loading it, setup also throws "biosinfo.inf could not be loaded" error). Mistery to me. The only way I cant revert to the original behavior, that is "I/O error accessing multi(0),etc." is to completely recreate USB with WinSetupFromUSB. The reason I need that original behavior is, that Plop can work around that error and setup can proceed error free. But this (recreation) is time consuming, pretty slow process.

Edited by danafik

Quite useful report, thanks.

Can you do again, after you load PLoP

read 0x8280
calc *0x475 & 0xFF

as well as

root (

then pressing TAB key on the keyboard?

As for the weird behavior- try changing the line in winsetup.lst

map /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff) || map --mem /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff)

to only

map --mem /WINSETUP/XPpSP3.ISO (0xff)

This may lead to hangs on some buggy machines, use the solution as in here, maybe as another, backup entry of title First part of Windows ... part of the menu and newer grub4dos version which supports "map --e820cycles" option:

http://reboot.pro/15956/

There are plenty of important changes to be done, new version of the program should be out soon.

It appears if an ISO is mapped not in memory and do a cat --locate=foo --replace=bar /FILE/IN/THE/ISO the file is changed permanently on the disk. map --read-only and map --fake-writes do not help to change the string we need to in txtsetup.sif, Setup sees it as it was before.

Could you also check if latest PLoP boot manager works the same way on this machine- Setup works and grub4dos commands I asked you to type return the same results as the previous PLoP version?

Get just plpbt.bin from here, place it in root of the USB drive and rename it to plp513.bin. Then add these lines at the end of menu.lst:

title Start PLoP boot manager 5.0.13
ls /usbdrive.tag || find --set-root --ignore-cd /usbdrive.tag
kernel /plp513.bin

When you are saying with PLoP it works how far did you get? Did you install Windows from start to end, until first desktop?

I used RMPREPUSB 2.1.630, set MS-DOS bootable, FAT32, and no other options set (this means 1 partition, not 2), and install grub4dos to partition boot sector, not to MBR. Because this is the only way I can make USB flash drive bootable on this machine.
The program installs grub4dos MBR, did you select the advanced option "do not check and install grub4dos MBR"?

this is what's in 2.lst

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
boot

What line should I replace with ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd1) ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0)? Just want to make sure I am replacing the rights ones so I am not getting false errors.

First two lines, just add "ls (hd0,0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && " in front of them, note the space after &&. Same way edit every other X.lst file except fd.lst. Add that at from of each "map (X) (Y)" line.

ilko_t, also on my computer (just made the discovery) I have 3 hard drives...1. XP 2. Windows 7 3. logical and it's not active. and when my CD loads my menu.lst from USB, my USB drive is (hd3,0)...my point is, doesn't label my USB as the last drive in the loop but it labels the last drive in the Active partition loop...example

If you have 5 hard drives and 4 are active then the CD would load you USB drive as (hd5,0). grub4dos must ignore non active partitions.

Grub4dos does not loop through active partitions. Hard disk numbering is according to BIOS order.

You had 3 internal hard disk. That's hd0, hd1 and hd2. USB disk logically became hd3, but on some systems, according to BIOS hard disk boot order, it may get in the middle, say hd1 or hd2, or even hd0.

The system encountered an I/O error

accessing multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1).

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

The only time I get this error and I have before if my ISO isn't continuous. I use Wincontig to defrag the ISO in question and the error seems to go away. Also ilko_t, been fooling around with NTBOOT and this is one of the commands

command %NTBOOT% cdrom=/Win$.iso

Wondering and going to test today if this would emulate CD install but my hopes are not high

You had 3 internal hard disk. That's hd0, hd1 and hd2. USB disk logically became hd3, but on some systems, according to BIOS hard disk boot order, it may get in the middle, say hd1 or hd2, or even hd0.

Forgot the (hd0,0) part so your right...still I was on it by saying the CD loads the USB stick as the last HD

Ok, replace each .lst in the BOOTWS starting with 2 like this

2.lst

ls (hd0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd1)
ls (hd1)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
boot

3.lst

ls (hd0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd2)
ls (hd1)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0)
ls (hd2)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd2) (hd1)
map --hook
ls (0xff)/I386/ && cat --locate=rdisk(1) --replace=rdisk(2) (0xff)/I386/TXTSETUP.SIF
ls (0xff)/AMD64/ && cat --locate=rdisk(1) --replace=rdisk(2) (0xff)/AMD64/TXTSETUP.SIF
boot

and so on and the good thing is that if I loaded the menu.lst from USB with the CD, XP installed now(did not test or have an older machine)but now the problem is reversed. Now if I boot straight to the USB with the modded ?.lst, I get that bios error again.

I think I am going to do

if  exist (cd)/laddsbootdvd.tag && set Mod=BOOTWS2

This way if the DVD tag doesn't exist if you boot straight to USB, then the BOOTWS folder will be default.

I know why this did this because the laddsbootdvd.tag doesn't exist on my USB drive so that explains the bios error from USB now. I can fix this...I hope! :)

Edited by laddanator

Would this work?

ls (hd0)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd0) (hd2) || ls (hd0)/laddsbootusb.tag && map (hd0) (hd2
ls (hd1)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd1) (hd0) || ls (hd1)/laddsbootusb.tag && map (hd1) (hd0
ls (hd2)/laddsbootdvd.tag && map (hd2) (hd1) || ls (hd2)/laddsbootusb.tag && map (hd2) (hd1)

This didn't work....booting straight from USB, I still get bios missing. Funny how this is backwards now. Trying something else...will report

Edited by laddanator

ls (hd0,0) on all lines in question.

No, even the original X.lst didn't have any (hdx,x)

this is 2.lst untouched

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

boot

3.lst untouched

map (hd0) (hd2)

map (hd0) (hd2)

map (hd2) (hd1)

map --hook

ls (0xff)/I386/ && cat --locate=rdisk(1) --replace=rdisk(2) (0xff)/I386/TXTSETUP.SIF

ls (0xff)/AMD64/ && cat --locate=rdisk(1) --replace=rdisk(2) (0xff)/AMD64/TXTSETUP.SIF

boot

and so on..just went back to match what was there except for the ls /laddsbootdvd.tag part. I took those .lst entries straight form the bootws folder that s part of the winsetupfrom usb 1.0 beta 7 program. Should I change them all from (hdx) to (hdx,x)?

Edited by laddanator