How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Well, I am back again :(

I am having an issue installing on a larger hard drive - its 60gigs. On the thumb drives, everything works fine. But when I use the same process (format NTFS, ntldr xp boot as HDD) on the larger hard drive all I get is a blinking cursor. I am trying to run multiple OS installs (xp, vista, and 7) to use. Even when I just install a copy of XP, I still get the cursor. There doesn't seem to be limitations on sizes for winsetup (googled - didn't find anything) and I know the hard drive is good. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful :) Thank you

You may try to repartition and format the hard drive via disk management. Set an active partition too, preferably the first one.

I have been playing a lot with 40, 80, 120, 160 and 250 GB hard drives connected through USBtoIDE/SATA adapter and never had issues, always used disk management in XP to partition and format them.

You may also help and try latest RMPrepUSB and report the issue to the author if still occurs:

http://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/documents/rmprepusb-beta-versions

http://reboot.pro/7739/

Please let us know how it goes.

formatting via disk management and making it active did not fix the problem. i am running the new version of rmprepusb to see how that goes. I don't need to install grub4dos or anything else? Like I stated before, XP/BartPE bootable and NTFS file system. Seems pretty straight forward.

Update this morning:

Ok so the hard drives are good. But after some testing, I formatted the hard drive straight NTFS and partition made active with nothing else and issue. It gets to post and i go to boot menu and there is a blinking cursor at the top of the screen and nothing else. BIOS needs to be updated maybe? Is there a certain config that the jumper has to be set to? I've never done something like this before so I'm not too sure what the settings need to be.

As far as formatting it with winsetup, I have been doing the it the same, but I also tried formatting just with disk management and partitioning and then just using winsetup to copy over versions of windows. I must be doing something wrong with formatting or maybe the computer I'm testing it out on just sucks : \

Edited by rsmalinoski

When you see this message press shift + F10, and type:

diskpart
list disk

Is the USB disk listed? To quit diskpart type "exit".

Sorry but I saw your msg too late that I've already aborted with Win7 iso files, I've try to install linux debian and I encounter exactly the same error of CD driver missing, using RMPrepUSB! (Even an error when RMPrepUSB was searching for syslinux.exe that wasn't in the same folder, so I had to copy it on)

All I managed was making the usb bootable with debian "live cd" , run debian-live on USB, but when choosing the "install option" at startup it comes again with "CD driver missing" ;

Then I use UNetbootin that doesn't worked with my iso files (always "CD driver missing") BUT worked well with its integrated download tool of the right "netInstall" linux version ...

But no way to find a suitable graphic driver for my SandyBridge IGP "HD Graphics 2000" for linux...

So... I finally bought an optical device... and got no more errors...

I would have prefered to find the usb way but it was really too long at each extraction step on the usb key...

thanks anyway for helping :)

Edited by Elendil0

Thank you ilko_t for you help. Turns out, stupidly enough, that the BIOS did in fact need to be updated. I guess the test PC was older than I thought. However, one last issue remains - now the external harddrive is acting slow and when I open folders to replace the NTDETECT file and replace it in the ISO, the wait time is atrocious. I will run chkdsk /r on it and hope for the best - probably reformatting it a million times try to test different settings and plugging/unplugging it didn't help. Maybe you might have a suggestion. Either way, everything seems to be working fine as far as booting. Thanks again :)

Hello everybody,

I just tried to use this thing to install winxp on my asus eee and it failed :(

I had french win7 installed, now I don't have anything and winxp didn't install properly, after reboot the graphical loading progress shows up and then I get BSOD. I tried to boot into safe mode and safe mode command line only and both have the same problem: BSOD.

Anybody has any clues on what could have gone wrong?

What's the error code on the blue screen? Something like 0x0000007B ?

When exactly do you get it? First part completes fine, and the second part, the GUI mode bluescreens?

What source are you using? What service pack?

What is SATA mode set in BIOS?

Hello guys

I have some problem with installing windows xp SP2 with WinSetupFromUSB.

1) I use PQI USB Stick 8GB

2) Windows XP SP2 Original Image

I prepared my usb stick, booted up system from it. Everything seemed to be as it should, but when windows installation asks about on which partition you want to install OS, I got an error:

e90qk.jpg

Please help

Thanks in advance

Edited by Georgian

I have made an usb for installing windows 7 unattended. but i have 2 problems which in fact is one problem.

the first problem: when i start the computer it does not ask me to press any key which it has began automatically to load the files to do the installation. (while when i do it from a cd it asks me to press any key)

the second problem: when the installation has finished the first phase, after the system reboots, it loads again the files to redo the installation from the beginning, so it will not never finish the installation.

any suggest on how can i fix this problem?

Thanks

Hello guys

I have some problem with installing windows xp SP2 with WinSetupFromUSB.

1) I use PQI USB Stick 8GB

2) Windows XP SP2 Original Image

I prepared my usb stick, booted up system from it. Everything seemed to be as it should, but when windows installation asks about on which partition you want to install OS, I got an error:

e90qk.jpg

Please help

Thanks in advance

It's not an error.

That message is normal when you use an "Upgrade" version of XP disc.

Examples of "Upgrade" versions:

CD Label: VRMPCCP_EN...........Description: Windows XP Professional (SP2) Upgrade

CD Label: VRMHCCP_EN...........Description: Windows XP Home (SP2) Upgrade

All you need to do is insert an older version of windows CD in the cd drive and it will continue the installation of your new XP OS.

Edited by muryot

Ok here is the file attached.

The computer where i want to install windows 7 is a netbook packard bell dot se

bios version 3.05

sata: ahci

Thanks

Extract and replace with the attached.

It will set the last boot menu (Start first internal disk) as default and will start it in 10 seconds if no key is pressed. If you need to start Setup again, you'll have to manually select Start Vista/7/2008 setup...

...All you need to do is insert an older version of windows CD in the cd drive and it will continue the installation of your new XP OS.

And because it's a bit tricky to do that on netbook and the likes, the way around is an entry in winnt.sif, but user has to agree to Microsoft terms and conditions in order to use it.

menu.zip

Thanks very much @ilko_t , It has worked well.

I have only one question:

I have seen during the unattended installation, it prompts with the dialog: open file - security warning when it executes some .exe files, then i press ok to continue with the installation of the program.

That dialog has never appeared during other installations i have done via cd/dvd

do you have any suggest please? thanks