How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

tl;dr all the posts .. but can I use this program to boot and install XP .. and to boot a Linux ISO/files?

ilko_t, as for my other issue, processing my OCZ drive now, and going to head over to her house to try those commands.

Edited by Joshatdot

PLoP is a boot manager and first in grub4dos boot menu entries, "EXPERIMENTAL - Start PLoP boot manager". Do not use it for now.

Start from the USB stick, no USB-IDE disks, press "c" to enter grub4dos command prompt.

Type:

find /usbdrive.tag

What's the result?

Next type

calc *0x475 & 0xFF

What's the result?

Now press escape to get to the menus and select Windows Setup-->First part of Setup. How far do you get? The USB stick has to be prepared with 1.0 beta7 version.

Will not need to reinstall Windows, just a few more similar commands.

preped with 1.0 b7

bootice, parts manage, re-format, usb-hdd mode, align to 63, ntfs, check if Active,

process mbr, grub4dos,

[x] windows 2000/xp .. choose my Winlite/nLite folder .. GO

boot from OCZ .. grub4dos menu, c

find /usbdrive.tag

(hd0,0)

calc *0x475 & 0xFF

2 (HEX:0x2)

It worked! I got to Setup choose hdd .. and then quit. I must have preped it wrong before.

Edited by Joshatdot

preped with 1.0 b7

bootice, parts manage, re-format, usb-hdd mode, align to 63, ntfs, check if Active,

process mbr, grub4dos,

[x] windows 2000/xp .. choose my Winlite/nLite folder .. GO

boot from OCZ .. grub4dos menu, c

find /usbdrive.tag

(hd0,0)

calc *0x475 & 0xFF

2 (HEX:0x2)

It worked! I got to Setup choose hdd .. and then quit. I must have preped it wrong before.

Hmm, there is no much you can do wrong when preparing, since you were able to boot, that's the main area where options matter, the formatting ones.

What has been changed since your last attempt? Any SD cards forgotten, other USB mass storage devices? What that could be? Or maybe you have used PLoP menu?

Hmm, there is no much you can do wrong when preparing, since you were able to boot, that's the main area where options matter, the formatting ones.

What has been changed since your last attempt? Any SD cards forgotten, other USB mass storage devices? What that could be? Or maybe you have used PLoP menu?

Only thing has changed is different but same OCZ flash. I have 3 of these OCZ Rally2 Turbo 4GB drives, I used a different one to prepare the last tests. I saw that Experimental PLoP option in the 1st GRUB menu, but didn't choose it .. ever.

Now that I think about it .. I might have screwed up my 1st attempt with 1.0b7 .. after I did the Process MBR .. I poked around the Process PBR stuff & might have did something in there. I could have done the GRUB4DOS in there too.

is it faster to install XP from USB rather than CD?

Of course NOT :whistle: , all the work that was done to make it possible was in order to have people have a LESS convenient way to install their XP. :w00t:

• Approximated average(1) CD read throughput: 6 Mb/s
  • Approximated average(1) USB 1.1 device read throughput: 1 Mb/s <- not a wise idea to choose USB install if you have USB 1.1 only controllers on the motherboard
  • Approximated average(1) USB 2.0 memory stick read throughput: 12 Mb/s
  • Approximated average(1) USB 2.0 HD throughput: 24 Mb/s

In the future (or if you are a rich guy and can afford it now):

• Approximated average(1) USB 3.0 device read throughput: 60 Mb/s? :unsure:

Draw your own conclusions. ;)

Note(1): "Approximated average speed" calculated using "common sense" and not at all representative of the actual results you may have on any particular combination of hardware, data meant only as a comparative, simplified example

jaclaz

Hi all,

I'm sorry to bother you. First and foremost, awesome program. Very easy to use. I am just running into an issue. I am trying to create an external hdd that has multiple versions of windows to install from. Simple enough, but I wanted to try on usb first. I am using the latest version of winsetupfromusb and get through the text part no problem. I had to use the ntdetect.com fix to get it to work - but no issues. But now, whenever I do the second part, I get 2 (HEX:0x2) a few times and then "A disk read error occurred, press alt + ctrl + del"

I have tried numerous things. I don't know if it is a booting issue, or mbr or what. I tried find /usbdrive.tag and the calc and everything seems okay. If you could please guide me into the right direction I would appreciate it :)

I am using Dell XP OEM SP 2 untouched. I was using a streamlined version but this makes it simple. I setup Xp bootable with ntldr and NTFS and boot as HDD.

Edited by rsmalinoski

The message comes from the bootsector on the internal hard drive and should have nothing to do with your source or tha fact you are installing from USB.

How was the internal disk partitioned and formatted? You could be falling into this category:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760

You might need to blank and repartition it.

How large the internal disk is? Is it one only? How is it partitioned, how large the partitions are? In which partition you are installing Windows?

Check for other clues:

http://www.google.com/search?q=A+disk+read+error+occurred&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=%22A+disk+read+error+occurred%22+site%3Amsfn.org&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.1,or.&fp=2ce4b7de8d5212a

Other clue- on some motherboards you may need to set in BIOS hard disk access mode to LBA, or AUTO, or LARGE, something like in here:

http://forum.soft32.com/win4/disk-read-error-occurred-Press-Ctrl-Alt-Del-restart-ftopict182357.html

Thank you for the reply. That hotfix is included with SP3 so that wasn't the issue. Went through the BIOS and the sata mode was combination instead of normal, which makes no sense to be because the drive am using is IDE. Thank you for your help though. If I have any issues with multiple OS installs I will venture back here. Thank you again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have "BOOTMGR is missing" when booting on my 8GB usb key.

I'm trying to install Win 7 from an ISO file with WinSetupFromUSB tool, and here are the steps I followed before having the BOOTMGR error :

- run WinSetupFromUSB

- choose RMPrepUSB

1,2,3: WinPE v2/.../Win7 bootable (BOOTMGR) (CC4)

4:Fat32 and "Boot as HDD (C;2PTNS)" (but also another time without checking this)

5:my ISO folder

6:Prepare Drive

7:eject drive, click "OK", then eject and insert on my other PC with an empty HDD

-> "BOOTMGR is missing"

I've seen that some other has "Bootmgr missing" but didn't notice any answer on that point to solve my problem...

Maybe it was too difficult for me to understand all.

Here is the log file:

2011/03/09 07:58:22- RMPrepUSB closed
2011/03/09 07:58:27- Flushing disk cache to \\.\F:
2011/03/09 07:58:27- FlushFileBuffers Output: 1
2011/03/09 07:58:27- CloseHandle Output: 1
2011/03/09 07:58:28- Getting USB drives information
2011/03/09 07:58:28- Show all drives option is NOT selected, displaying USB drives only
2011/03/09 07:58:28- USB Flash Memory USB Device
2011/03/09 07:58:29- DeviceID: \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1
2011/03/09 07:58:29- PNPDeviceID: USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_USB_FLASH_MEMORY&REV_PMAP\001D92AD6C41B9408321007E&0
2011/03/09 07:58:29- Partitions count: 2
2011/03/09 07:58:29- Disk--Partition: Disk #1, Partition #0
2011/03/09 07:58:29- Logical Disk: F: File system: FAT32 Primary: True
2011/03/09 07:58:29- Disk--Partition: Disk #1, Partition #1
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Drive letter of the selected partition- F:
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Drive letter of the first primary partition in selected disk- F:
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Disk number of the selected disk- 1
2011/03/09 07:58:30- PNPId of the selected disk- USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_&PROD_USB_FLASH_MEMORY&REV_PMAP\001D92AD6C41B9408321007E&0
2011/03/09 07:58:30- File system type of the selected partition- FAT32
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Disk type of the selected disk- Removable
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Total target size avialable- 3892 MB
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Checking sizes...
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Total source size- 0 MB
2011/03/09 07:58:30- Target space available- 3892 MB

I've tried the "Installer Grub Bootloader" button in a second time, with the current usb key, but it tells me the error "copy grldr to usb drive F ?" and then "ERROR grldr failed to copy to usb drive F. File not found".

Edited by Elendil0

You also need to extract or mount the ISO somewhere, select Vista/7/2008 setup option and click on browse button on the right to point the program to your extracted from ISO/mounted source. In this case do not use option 5 in RMPrepUSB.

Or if you want to use just RMPrepUSB in option 5 select your mounted/extracted ISO, not the ISO file itself, nor the folder with ISO file in it.

Of course I used to extract iso first. I use 7zip for extracting to an HDD folder, then select this root folder in 5th step of RMPrepUSB as you tell me and this solves the error.

(I make this from win XP 32bits system.)

But now I have an error at w7 intall beginning :

" A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing ..."

It seems to come from a "corrupt" iso file (?) (or IDE bios settings but I checked this it's ok), so I will try to download an original iso file of my edition (Win7 pro x64, french) and test with.

Edit: I test with the other iso file and got the same error "required CD/DVD..."

Another advice is welcome.

Edited by Elendil0

How large is install.wim in \sources folder?

When you see this message press shift + F10, and type:

diskpart
list disk

Is the USB disk listed? To quit diskpart type "exit".