How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I have searched the forum and cannot find another post about the problem I am having, but after following the instructions with this tool and creating the boot disk successfully, I get the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting" when I use either option 1 or option 2 for the Win 2000/2003/XP ISO (Its actually a vanilla VLK XP SP3 ISO).

Can anyone explain what could be causing the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting"?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm having the following issue: i made the bootable stick. boots the stick, format the partition, the windows starts copying the files, and then comes the usually first restart. But after the restart the windows doesn't start and it says that ntldr is missing. What did I do wrong? Please help me

Edited by drakuxxx

I have searched the forum and cannot find another post about the problem I am having, but after following the instructions with this tool and creating the boot disk successfully, I get the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting" when I use either option 1 or option 2 for the Win 2000/2003/XP ISO (Its actually a vanilla VLK XP SP3 ISO).

Can anyone explain what could be causing the error message "Error: 8 Kernel must be loaded before booting"?

Thanks.

Not quite sure what option 1 and 2 would be. Please add the following files to a zip archive and attach it with your next post:

1) From USB stick menu.lst and winsetup.lst

2) from program directory- winsetupfromusb.log, if you have used the program after you added that source old logs are cab compressed and moved to \backup folder. Find the relevant ones.

Hi,

I'm having the following issue: i made the bootable stick. boots the stick, format the partition, the windows starts copying the files, and then comes the usually first restart. But after the restart the windows doesn't start and it says that ntldr is missing. What did I do wrong? Please help me

What version of the program did you use?

What drive letter did the USB stick have when Setup displayed disk and partitions?

Attach winsetupfromusb.log file, read above for details.

Thanks.

Not quite sure what option 1 and 2 would be. Please add the following files to a zip archive and attach it with your next post:

2) from program directory- winsetupfromusb.log, if you have used the program after you added that source old logs are cab compressed and moved to \backup folder. Find the relevant ones.

Hi,

What version of the program did you use?

What drive letter did the USB stick have when Setup displayed disk and partitions?

Attach winsetupfromusb.log file, read above for details.

I'm using 1.06, the usb stick has the U letter driverWinSetupFromUSB.rar

...I'm using 1.06, the usb stick has the U letter driverWinSetupFromUSB.rar

Please read carefully and attach the appropriate log file:

How many partitions do you have on the internal disk? Were they created in advance? Using what software?

Did you delete all and recreate them? Do you have data on them you want to keep?

Did you start the second part of Setup, the GUI mode, from the internal disk or the USB disk?

If you start now the USB stick do you get to the menus as before, PLoP, Windows Setup etc. etc. ?

How many partitions do you have on the internal disk? Were they created in advance? Using what software?

Did you delete all and recreate them? Do you have data on them you want to keep?

Did you start the second part of Setup, the GUI mode, from the internal disk or the USB disk?

If you start now the USB stick do you get to the menus as before, PLoP, Windows Setup etc. etc. ?

I have two partitions, created in advance with the windows setup disk, before instaling the windows the first time. I have deleted only the window partition an created again.

No GUI mode available when booting from USB disk, and yes I still get the same menu as before if I boot it. I mention that before I used the same metode to install the windows but with a stick created from a friend. I followed his indication when creating my own stick, but still same error I get. I really don't know what is the problem here.

Not quite sure what option 1 and 2 would be.

There are two boot options created with the script for XP ISOs. I (vaguely) recall the first one for the text setup and the second for the install?

Please add the following files to a zip archive and attach it with your next post:

I will, just as soon as my new USB flash drive arrives. :realmad: I STRONGLY recommend AGAINST the latest CORSAIR VOYAGER drives, they are now encased only in rubber and the slightest pressure on them (putting in a pocket for example?!?!) will DESTROY YOUR DRIVE AND ALL YOUR DATA!!! :realmad::o Going back to Kingston....

Is it possible to be an issue the fact that I made the stick bootable, running the program from a machine that is running windows 7? I think this could be a possible cause when I tried to make an bootable xp stick and getting the missing ntldr file

Is it possible to be an issue the fact that I made the stick bootable, running the program from a machine that is running windows 7? I think this could be a possible cause when I tried to make an bootable xp stick and getting the missing ntldr file

That wouldn't matter.

Let's try something. Boot from USB stick. Press key "c" once you see grub4dos menu entries.

You will get grub4dos command prompt. Type:

find /ntldr

What's the output? If it says (hd1,1) then type:

root (hd1,1)
chainloader /ntldr
boot

What's the result?

I didn't get straight answer to this one:

ERROR MESSAGE: Could not install Grub4Dos MBR!

Kingston 16gb NTFS, I have run bootsect /mbr to no avail.

Log attached.

Please can someone tell me what the problem is?!?!?!?! :}

Dumbass!!

I forgot to create the boot sector - new flash drive = no boot sector

BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 [drive letter]:

I forgot to create the boot sector - new flash drive = no boot sector

Actually you are supposed to run RMPREPUSB.

The new flash sticks needs to be PARTITIONED before being formatted.

RMPREPUSB (and other similar utilities) do that, which is NEEDED.

RMPREPUSB has additionally a couple little tricks that will increase you chances of bootng the stick on a bigger number of motherboards, even a few with "queer" Bioses.

jaclaz

Hello,

i want to install Micro XP into old notebook without CD ROM, but Manual Install and Upgrade” was removed under Operating System Options. WinSetupFromUSB of course reports missing Winnt 32. Do you know about some solution?

Thanx