How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Done. ;)

Oh, and just to mention... if I don't use that true integration of Adobe Flash Player, and I use a T-13 installer, that doesn't change the flash.inf file, then everything is ok with WinSetupFromUSB. :)

There are two entries for flash.inf in txtsetup.sif, remove this one:

flash.inf = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0

This duplicates would not affect setup from a CD, or using the latest 1.0 beta6 version.

I've been lingering on these forums for a while now but unfortunately the solutions here are so effective, my problems get solved before I have the need to sign up. The knowledge present in these forums are very impressive but finally I got a reason to sign up :)

I had the same problem as RicaNeaga with the flash.inf. I deleted the entry in txtsetup.sif as ilko suggested and that worked but now I get "Setup cannot copy the file: iyuv.dll".

What should I do now? Can I install the dll after windows has installed?

I got my issue fixed.

I read and searched this forum topic through all the pages, and I think that it should be made common knowledge that the CD/DVD Driver issue with Vista/7 on a partition other than Partition 0 is because the Removable Bit has NOT been flipped.

I had a Corsair 16GB Voyager drive, and was ABLE to flip the removable bit, so the multiple partitions WORKED with the Vista/7 installs.

This should be CLEARLY listed in the very first post - Vista/7 Installs must be on different partitions, and MUST be on a Flash Drive that allows the REMOVABLE bit to be 'flipped'.

Another thing that would help this post significantly is a listing of flash drives (or at least a listing of the FASTEST flash drives) that are compatible with the bootit.exe application.

@LordX

Thanks, will clarify it in the first post.

@akira181

Can you zip and attach txtsetup.sif from your source?

@Jotto

Using PLoP may lead to issues like this. Sorry, I have no solution for now if this happens.

Something Important:

As mentioned before, for the multiple windows Vista/7 installs the removable bit must be 'flipped'.

However, the bootit.exe program from Lexar works on SOME other manufacturers drives, but not all.

For example - my OLD Corsair Survivor 16gb drive WORKED - so I just wasted $80 buying two more (which are a newer version) to find that they do NOT work.

This Thread could REALLY use a Full and Updated LIST of all Thumb Drives that people have gotten to WORK with the Bootit.exe application. Especially the FASTEST sticks!

If this list already exists somewhere, I would greatly appreciate a link.

Thanks again for this fantastic program!

If this list already exists somewhere, I would greatly appreciate a link.

It doesn't work like this. :no:

SAME Make, SAME model may have a different controller. :w00t:

You use ChipGenius to determine the controller and see if it's one of the two supposedly "covered" by the Lexar utility.

Mind you that it is also well possible that on a "covered" chip the actual Mass Production Tool has been configured to prevent flipping the bit with the "higher level" Lexar tool.

OR you find the "right" manufacurer tool for the actual controller.

Some reference is here :yes: :

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21850

(and NO the idea of the Lexar boot-it database is not new ;) , it simply won't work)

More here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10534

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12556

jaclaz

I added Windows XP Professional SP3 (from MSDN) using WinSetupFromUSB, I've done no modifications to it (MSDN's .iso image).

A while ago i posted here that i get error when using Plop which errors prints that biosinfo.inf is missing, error 14.

Now i am not using Plop and i get the same message. My USB-HDD is NTFS formatted, two primary partitons. With this configuration it fails.

I tryed with my USB thumb drive PQI4GB FAT32 formatted and it works and i actually copied the files from my USB-HDD, but i had to use grub_inst manually.

Hi,

Great tool, I use it in conjunction with RMPREPUSB.

Slight issue though: if I try and build a second install on a pen drive with an existing install could you possibly change it to create a seperate winsetup.lst file or let the name of the XP install get edited? It gets a bit confusing when the same file has two options for step 1 and the text descriptions are similar...

Also, is there a dev build of WinSetupFromUSB or is it just a case of keep coming here and checking the version hasn't been updated?

I added Windows XP Professional SP3 (from MSDN) using WinSetupFromUSB, I've done no modifications to it (MSDN's .iso image).

A while ago i posted here that i get error when using Plop which errors prints that biosinfo.inf is missing, error 14.

Now i am not using Plop and i get the same message. My USB-HDD is NTFS formatted, two primary partitons. With this configuration it fails.

I tryed with my USB thumb drive PQI4GB FAT32 formatted and it works and i actually copied the files from my USB-HDD, but i had to use grub_inst manually.

Where are file placed, which partition? Which partition is active? Are both primary? Which version of WinSetupFromUSB did you use?

Hi,

Great tool, I use it in conjunction with RMPREPUSB.

Slight issue though: if I try and build a second install on a pen drive with an existing install could you possibly change it to create a seperate winsetup.lst file or let the name of the XP install get edited? It gets a bit confusing when the same file has two options for step 1 and the text descriptions are similar...

Also, is there a dev build of WinSetupFromUSB or is it just a case of keep coming here and checking the version hasn't been updated?

Which version did you use? Latest 1.0 beta6 takes menu names out of txtsetup.sif including service pack number and they should be different. In case they are the same program adds 1/2/3... to the name at the same time asking you for a custom menu name.

You could always edit winsetup.lst, after 'title....'.

And yes, you have to check this thread for updates. Working on beta7 currently, but it would be just minor fixes and updates of some of the tools included.

Where are file placed, which partition? Which partition is active? Are both primary? Which version of WinSetupFromUSB did you use?

I'm using WinSetupFromUSB beta6.

I have Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows XP Home SP3 - all placed in //WINSETUP in the root dir on both devices. Both Windows' CDs/Versions are not modified by anyone, because i downloaded them from MSDN and i've also checked the hash sums.

My devices are:

1. Samsung S2 500GB split in two: 1. 65.6 GB primary, non-active, NTFS 2. 400 GB primary, non-active, NTFS. I've used "grubinst-1.1-bin-w32-2008-01-01" and placed "grub4dos-0.4.4-2009-06-20" in the root of #1 65.6GB, then i used WinSetupFromUSB beta6 to add both Windows sources.

I've never had problem before, i've done many successful installations, but this time on a desktop PC it resulted in error that (i cant quote the exact info) biosinfo.inf is missing, error 14.

2. PQI 4GB USB-Thumb drive: FAT32, Primary, active. I did the same procedure like i did on my Samsung and it works.

Hi,

I'm using Beta 6 at the minute.

I use NLITE to bundle in the post-SP3 hotfixes, then driverpacks.net to slipstream in the drivers. Finally, I use WinSetupFromUSB to put the completed build onto the pen drive. The issue seems to be that the menu name is always going to be the same if I'm using XP Service Pack 3. I've now resorted to manually renaming the WINSETUP folder and the associated paths in the lst files prior to using WinSetupFromUSB to commit a new build to the pen drive.

I'm using an OEM XP Service Pack 2 CD, slipstreamed to SP3 and burnt to an ISO, as the basis for each setup and I have created several different NLITEd packages from this ISO, for different PC builds.

So if you're looking at txtsetup.sif the description will always be the same.

It's never asked me for a custom menu name so the "first part of..." menu entries all look exactly the same, e.g. "First part of Windows XP Professional SP3 setup" appears many times even though the "Second part of..." entry only appears once.

Edited by tstaddon

My devices are:

1. Samsung S2 500GB split in two: 1. 65.6 GB primary, non-active, NTFS 2. 400 GB primary, non-active, NTFS. I've used "grubinst-1.1-bin-w32-2008-01-01" and placed "grub4dos-0.4.4-2009-06-20" in the root of #1 65.6GB, then i used WinSetupFromUSB beta6 to add both Windows sources.

I've never had problem before, i've done many successful installations, but this time on a desktop PC it resulted in error that (i cant quote the exact info) biosinfo.inf is missing, error 14.

2. PQI 4GB USB-Thumb drive: FAT32, Primary, active. I did the same procedure like i did on my Samsung and it works.

Possible cause: BIOS, fixed versus removable drive, USB drive itself

Which desktop PC do you use?

Did you use the same desktop PC at both?

Which Samsung S2 do you use?

HX-MU050DA, HX-MU050DC, HX-MTA50DA or another?

Does your S2 use 512 byte, 1 kb or 4 kb sectors?