How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

What version of the program did you use?

1.0 beta6 puts XP/2000/2003 files in own folders in \WINSETUP. For 7/Vista isn't easy to accomplish that, so files&folders go to root.

0.2.3 also puts XP/2000/2003 files in own ~BT and ~LS folders in root.

Im using the latest:)

Copying xp etc works fine and one vista or 7:).

ilko, should you ever visit here please stop by so i can kiss your feet :) your little program with the long name has made me very happy today.

please understand my enthusiasm: i've spent the better part of two days trying to get XP installed from USB on a thinkpad X41 with no luck whatsoever. i've tried them all: USB_multiboot, rmprepusb, flashboot, wintoflash and probably a few other methods i've already forgotten. tried each one tens of times with just about every combination of settings possible, no luck. to make matters worse i didn't know if the problems were with the setup programs, with my FDV/HFslip trimmed XP, or with my machine which was just modded from PATA to SATA and is now sporting an SSD that had yet to see an OS install. don't know how i missed it but just as i was ready to give up i noticed your thread at the top of the list and decided to give it a try.

thanks,

dave

thank to ilko_t. over 4 months I read this thread. Finally I could make a usb multiboot xp pro sp3 (integrated onepiece sp3 update, DPBase, nLite), Win7 and liveXP in USB HDD.only every finished installing XP, UFD / USB HDD with over two partitions, one partition of the HDD is not visible in explorer. I partitioned the USB HDD into two partition.how way to make a second partition can be seen in explorer? I have read about rdummy which I think can handle it, but can not. thanks for guidance.I use google translate

I have read about rdummy which I think can handle it, but can not. thanks for guidance.I use google translate

There must have been a misunderstanding.

Windows XP/2003 and later by default:

• CAN see multiple partitions on a USB device that is seens as "Fixed" (please read 100% of USB hard disk drives)
  • CANNOT see multiple partiions on a USB device that is seen as "Removable" (please read 99.99% of USB Flash/sticks/pendrives)

The filter drivers cfadisk.sys (Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver) and Anton Bassov's dummydisk.sys allow Windows to see ANY "Removable" device as "Fixed".

The filter driver "reversed" dummydisk.sys (as well by Anton Bassov) allows Wondows to see ANY "Fixed" device as "Removable".

The two current versions of WinSetupFromUsb:

• 1.0 beta6 - 7.March.2010
    and
  • Latest "stable" - vers. 0.2.3 - 06.July.2009

are DIFFERENT, they use different approaches and may use Filter drivers in different way.

You need to specify WHICH version you used.

Since you are saying (if I get it right :unsure:) is that the "just and newly installed" XP cannot see more than one partition of the USB HDD from which it was installed, it should mean that *somehow* rdummy.sys is installed and running on the newly installed XP.

To simplify (hopefully):

• if you can see only one partition on a USB Hard Disk Drive (Fixed), it means rdummy.sys is installed and running.
  • if you can see more than one partiion on a USB stick (Removable), it means that either cfadisk.sys or dummydisk.sys is installed and running.

Or if you prefer:

• "removable"+"nothing"="removable"
  • "fixed"+"nothing"="fixed"
  • "removable"+"dummydisk.sys"="fixed"
  • "removable"+"cfadisk.sys"="fixed"
  • "fixed"+"rdisk.sys"="removable"

jaclaz

ilko_t

I'd like to say Thank you very much for your utility

I tryid Kaspersky like here

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5041&st=50&p=97266

It start booting but not completing, machine reboot on a half way.

So I have to use syslinux way.

The only problem in this case I'wount be able to add one more syslinux boot record

What you report is VERY strange.

kDn is usually VERY reliable in his posts about grub4dos.

Anyway this has NOTHING to do with WinsetupFromUSB, it may be grub4dos or syslinux problem, and should be troubleshooted in the appropriate place.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hey guys, I'm having some real trouble with wsfusb. I'm using nLite to make slim and trim a XP x64 install. Text setup works great, yet it always reboots at the GUI if loading from the USB. If loading from the HD, it can't find where to copy the files from.

Now, if I use nLite to only configure, intergrate, and unattend, wsfusb works fine and this problem doesn't exist. If I do an extreme removal nLite, then this problem doesn't happen. It seems to occur when I go to remove stuff from Operating System Options. Funny, I can removal them all or keep them all, both extremes work without a hitch, yet I pick and choose stuff and it breaks the install. I just don't get it, because it doesn't seem like there is anything there that would interfere with the install, especially since if I keep everything it works and if I remove everything it works.

Any idea guys? I could really use the help, I'm really exhausted from all the slimming and usb flashing and I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi thre. I would like to know is there a way to have Windows 7, Windows XP, Hiren's, and maybe Ubuntu on one flash drive? Ubuntu is not *must*. Anyway, i tried doing it normal way, and selecting three sources (win7,xp,hirens) and flash boot's first time normally, but after that, it won't boot anymore, so I guess I'm doing something wrong. I also tried searching thru forum, but can't seem to find anything. I guess there are questions like this already asked, and I'm sorry, but I really can't seem to find it, and this page has too many pages to read them all, so if anyone could post me a link to explanation on how to do this, or explain that to mw, I would be really grateful. Thanks again, and sorry...

so I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Like using WAREZ? :ph34r:

I also tried searching thru forum, but can't seem to find anything.

NO, you did not. :no:

If you had you would have found a zillion threads where people asking about Hiren's have been told to read the Rules:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

jaclaz

OK, as long as I know, hiren's is not warez software (or whatever u call it), but, even hiren's is not *must to*. What about Win7 and WinXP? Can that be done? And, I did searched the forums, but didn't search for *hirens* but for *win7 and windows xp*; *windows 7 windows xp*; *7 xp*, and all other stufff. I didn't even thought that hiren's could make any troubles... Anyways, it's too late here to try Win7 & XP now, so I'll try it tomorrow, and sorry for asking about Hiren's. I really had no idea it's forbidden, warez, and that it could make any trouble. First thing in the mourning, trying WinXP & 7 installation...

Thanks for this nice tool! Now I have bootable flash drive with all my stuff what I need :) - Windows XP install, Windows 7 install, Ubuntu install, Hiren's, Ophcrack, Gentoo Live CD, PTD, Kaspersky Rescue Disk and more wonderful tools! Thanks again!