How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Check in WinSetupFromUSB\files\winsetup\PyronSetup\i386 if setup.ex_ exist.

If not- download a new copy of the program or just put there the attached file, unzip it first.

Some antivirus programs still detect it falsely as a virus, despite all the emails sent to major vendors:

http://www.msfn.org/board/virus-suspected-inst-v047z-t141734.html

Turn off any antivirus protection while doing that and using the program.

setup.zip

First, nice one on v1.0. So much easier now.

I'm having a weird problem though, when testing in Qemu v7.0 with my USB flashdrive. Firstly, I've got PLOP v5.09 in a PLOP folder on my USB, so I've amended the menu entry to "kernel /PLOP/plpbt.bin".

The thing is, the bootsector on my flashdrive keeps changing from Grub4Dos to NTLDR, which causes PLOP to fail with a "Could not find NTLDR" error. I've just run WinSetupFromUSB (1.0 beta6) to install the files to my flashdrive, and it's changed after that. Qemu was loaded but not running (so the flashdrive wasn't mounted in it) during this time, so I can't see that Qemu could be responsible, but it doesn't seem that it's anything to do with WinSetupFromUSB either, as I've seen it happen after the first stage of the XP install, after the second stage and after loading LiveXP, but not consistently IE it doesn't always happen after any of those. It didn't happen after loading FreeDOS or USCD5 but I can't say it never would unless I keep trying loading them. I really can't make much sense of this, so if anyone's got an idea what might be causing it, please let me know.

I'm also having trouble installing from an nLited source. Vanilla (unattended) XP installed in Qemu OK, but my nlited source just reboots at the second stage, or occasionally says "setup.exe - Unable to Locate Component. This application has failed to start because Normaliz.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.". I copied that file to Windows\System32 on the HD but it still rebooted the next time I restarted the second stage.

I've attached my nlite last session in case anyone can spot anything in there that's causing the problem. I imagine it's most likely one of the Hotfixes.

Last Session.ini

A few ideas:

Test in QEMU just to see if it boots, do not install further, do not perform write operations in QEMU.

When using the USB stick it's good idea to unplug it any after write operations, using safely remove hardware.

As for the nLite problem- Google returns quite a lot of results, have you looked?

At what stage exactly this is happening?

Hello :) First tnx for the great program and i have some questions.

First i wanna make a multiboot usb flash with the following windows editions - WinXpSp3, WinVista32/64, Win732/64. So first i have included WinXp+Win7 32bits, and after that i have included Win7 64bits? So is this the correct way!? Next on the boot screen when i have to chose what to boot, how can i understand which is the 64 and which is the 32bits install? Is there a way to change the names of the OS's on the boot screen? Tnx

- Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported.

If you search a bit the subforum you will find number of topics where this has been discussed with the possible options ;)

Is there a way to change the names of the OS's on the boot screen?

Edit menu.lst on the USB disk:
title My custom menu name

Added:

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-windows-winsetupfromusb-t120444-pid-901978.html/page__view__findpost__p__901978

A few ideas:

Test in QEMU just to see if it boots, do not install further, do not perform write operations in QEMU.

When using the USB stick it's good idea to unplug it any after write operations, using safely remove hardware.

As for the nLite problem- Google returns quite a lot of results, have you looked?

At what stage exactly this is happening?

Like I said, the USB stick boots fine, it's just when running PLOP it says "Cannot find NTLDR" because something's changed the bootsector (not the MBR) from Grub4DOS to NTLDR. I guess that means that PLOP loads the bootsector rather than the MBR.

I did change the bootsector back to Grub4DOS and safely removed hardware and when I re-inserted the stick, it wasn't even recognised again in BootICE, which is strange. It does seem to have fixed the problem though as PLOP is no longer giving that error, so the bootsector must be staying as Grub4DOS.

Regarding the nlite problem, I fixed this by taking out some Hotfixes (IE8 and WMP related I think) and rebuilding.

Ha sorry dude Im too much formatted with windows =) it seems it does not exist tools like Defraggler but for linux. However I have read a few lines saying if you had moved the iso to another place, you could get it back in 1 fragment and you could have saved your bandwith. Not sure so could be a fake rumour but next time try this trick too :)

Hi,

I have used the v1.0b6. After boot, windows loads the files from the usb, later the system shows a black window, only with the blinked cursor. And then, it throws an error (blue window); it says that Windows have to prevent errors, so it had to stopped the installation with this tecnical number:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF8984524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Maybe do you know how fix it?

PD: The usb is ok (I installed ubuntu with unetbooting) and the windows iso is original

PD: Sorry, I have bad english

log.zip

You may try the modified ntdetect.com as mentioned here. Copy and paste all in Tiny Hexer (freeware), select HEX TEXT, save as ntdetect.com and put it in USB stick root, filesize must become 47,596 bytes. I don't know other ways to give you this file without breaking forum and MS rules.

Thanks,

Have I to edit the file WINSETUP/XPhSP3/I386/NTDETECT.COM? Or only put the ntdetect.com created in root?

Edited by JoniJnm

Have googled a lot for this to no avail...

Is it possible to install Windows 7 from ISO-files? If not, why? Is it because ISO is loaded into memory and because it's ~4gb it doesn't fit? WinPE does work (for using Ghost for example), but I can't deploy Windows 7 with LiteTouch ISO, it fails when the installation should begin (copying files..expanding files) to a strange error. Anyone tried that? Litetouch works from a CD nicely.