How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Please don't tell me you tried it on a friday in a month which name contains the letter "r" :ph34r:

That's obviously a no-no. ;)

:P

jaclaz

OK, here are the results and differences between my two ISOs/USB keys.

Results:

-RevR = File copy errors and errored out;

-article.chm

-msi.dll

-shell32.dll

error: Line 853 of hivedef.inf is corrupted. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3. (F3=Quit)

-RevR2 = Works fine.

RevR: Had to copy NTDETECT.COM after creating USB to the following directories (to avoid blue screen);

-\WINSETUP\XPpSP3\I386\

-\WINSETUP\XPpSP3.ISO\I386\ (using Magic ISO)

RevR2: I used the explore button and put the modified NTDETECT.COM in the \I386 directory before creating the ISO using nLite. Note; When mounted the ISO using DaemonTools Lite, it didn't run setup automatically as RevR did, still worked to install.

BeyondCompare Reports:

-ISO_report.txt: Z:\ = RevR2, Y:\ = RevR (Explained above)

-USB_report.txt: G:\ = RevR2, Y:\ = RevR

Attached files in zip;

-Beyond Compare result files; ISO_report.txt & USB_report.txt

-Files that had diff contents reported by Beyond Compare from both USB sticks (RevR & RevR2), menu.lst & winsetup.lst.

Diff.zip

Edited by deeksmooth

Hmm, could it be an antivirus program or something of that sort interfered with file copy :unsure:

Were both builds tested on the same hardware, without any changes on it, including BIOS options?

(using Magic ISO)

It may be completely irrelevant in this case, but as a general advice, NEVER fiddle with ISO manipulating utilities.

The error in "REVR" seem to me like either "timing" problems or "file in use" problems, (the initial error on a .chm file sees to me unprobable being caused by an antivirus) but you never know.

How was the .ISO built?

Are "they" two different .iso's or the same used twice?

Is it/them a physical media (CD/DVD) or a .iso mounted to a Virtual CD driver?

jaclaz

Hmm, could it be an antivirus program or something of that sort interfered with file copy :unsure:

Were both builds tested on the same hardware, without any changes on it, including BIOS options?

There is no antivirus software installed on the standalone box I use to create these ISOs and USB keys. Both builds are being used on the same computer, with no changes to any hardware (not even seperate HDs), and definitely no BIOS changes.

It may be completely irrelevant in this case, but as a general advice, NEVER fiddle with ISO manipulating utilities.

The error in "REVR" seem to me like either "timing" problems or "file in use" problems, (the initial error on a .chm file sees to me unprobable being caused by an antivirus) but you never know.

How was the .ISO built?

Are "they" two different .iso's or the same used twice?

Is it/them a physical media (CD/DVD) or a .iso mounted to a Virtual CD driver?

jaclaz

RE: MagicISO - noted, thanks :)

The ISOs were built using nLite 1.4.9.1 (latest) for both RevR and RevR2. They are two different ISOs built with nLite from the same source folder 'C:\Dell_RevR'. The only difference (based on memory and diff results) was with RevR2 I copied the modified NTDETECT.COM before compiling the ISO.

I used the same method and hardware for both USB keys;

1) Use nLite to slipstream updates/addons, create bootable ISO

2) Mount ISO using daemontools lite to 'Z:\'

3) Use WinSetupFromUSB 1.0b6;

a. Bootice > Format NTFS > ProcessPBR > Grub4DOS

b. Windows 2000/XP/2003 Setup > Source = Z:

Redundantly, just want to clarify that there is no antivirus installed on my build box.

I'm puzzled, however not really concerned at this point that 'RevR' doesn't work - I'm just providing information as requested. Hopefully moving forward this doesn't resurface. If it does... I know where to come. ;)

Edited by deeksmooth

Actually there is NO difference in the .lst files at a binary level.

I guess that we can put the blame on (choose one) of the things that may have had an hiccup:

1. nlite
  2. magiciso
  3. you
  4. WinsetupfromUSB

Actualy I would exclude #4 (and I presume ilko_t would do the same) ;), and you'll probably want to exclude number #3 :angel , then, since it seems like in this particular case MagicISO appears "innocent" :w00t: , considered that nuhi :thumbup is not often around here anymore, I would say it was a nlite hiccup, and live happily forever....

jaclaz

Hi Everybody -

The original post mentions a README and other documentation:

Please read the included ReadMe.txt and \Docs\HOW-TOs.txt, it should help you get started. When in doubt hold the mouse over the element, a tooltip should help you with the choice.

But when I download the files from this link:

Beta

1.0 beta6 - 7.March.2010

Download: 1.0 beta6

-fixed bug in the created menu.lst when adding PartedMagic/Ubuntu variants or other ISOs

... I do not find any README or documentation enclosed. Am I doing something wrong, downloading the wrong thing, ... ?? :blushing:

Thanks, and thanks for this project. :)

- USBbootME

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

By the way, F-Prot is bitching about the .exe , but TrendMicro Housecall doesn't complain. The online scanner at Kaspersky does notice that there is a script.au3 included in the binary, but doesn't complain about it.

Hi

I've been trying to install XP in a Acer Aspire One D250 and find your program to create a usb boot key but it doesn't boot.

Only give me this message

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

I try FAT, FAT32, NTFS formats and nothing.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance

My winsetup.lst

color black/cyan yellow/cyan
timeout 10
default /windefault

title First part of Windows XP Professional setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN
savedefault 1

title Second part of Windows XP Professional setup
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)/NTLDR
savedefault

Do you get it when select "First part of Windows XP Professional setup" or you don't get the menu at all?

Does it work in QEMU?

Did you try the latest 1.0 beta6?

In the first and second part of the menu installation, but when add pmagic-4.9 this one works fine.

I tried QEMU and is the same error "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format"

No I didn't tried the latest Beta, I'll do right now and tell you what happen.

Thanks

That's very weird.

I've just downloaded 2003 server trial German and Chinese Simplified versions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033

Tests in QEMU, using old 80GB hard disk with USB-IDE adapter, under XP SP2 English, 1.0 beta6 :

Can you test your build in QEMU? Just run WinSetupFromUSB, select the USB disk and check "Test in QEMU" option to see if you get to the partitioning screen.

Added: Same positive result on real hardware- both sources loaded just fine to the partitioning screen.

That's very weird indeed. I just tested in QEMU and no error there. I will try different real PC's tomorrow to see if this is a specific problem with my hardware.

Thanks for you help so far and I will update with the results.

So I tried as many different PC's as I could find and it turns out it works on all except my test PC, weird :/

I guess it's a problem with the motherboard or something and beyond our control. Thanks for you help!