How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Before I go have a nervous breakdown when it fully sinks in just how much data there was on that one drive, I thought I'd ask here in the forlorn hope that someone out there might have some words of advice, even if its confirmation there's definitely nothing I can do now..?

Before I have a nervous break down ;), let's assume that you didn't post here and opened an "assistance ticket" here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10571&hl=

where you will hopefully be helped.

jaclaz

Have been playing with WinSetupFromUSB for a while worked ok so far, even on laptop.

But hit a snag today with Dell Optiplex 755 (ICH9)

with all drivers integrated (same install for on Dell E6400,also intel chipset)

I got a bSOD 0x7B only when boot from USB (when 32 bit setup starts)

booting the same image from CD is OK.

It seems setup considers USB drive a boot device but can't find a 32 bit driver for it?

Edit: Also tested on external USB hard drive - same result.

Any other ideas on this one? I have switched out the ntdetect.com for the modified one, and also used the mass storage driver pack. I have a Dell E6400 that hangs after "setup is starting windows" on a black screen. When I tried it on some othe rmachines (Optiplex 620, 745) it would get error 7B now with those changes all other machines work ok ECXEPT the E6400. I assume its BSOD 7B? But it just hangs at a black screen after "setup is starting windows" during txt setup.

Thanks for your help

~Fizz

//edit: Also tried hard drive in ATA, AHCI, IRRT modes...

Edited by daddy_fizz

Any other ideas on this one? I have switched out the ntdetect.com for the modified one, and also used the mass storage driver pack. I have a Dell E6400 that hangs after "setup is starting windows" on a black screen. When I tried it on some othe rmachines (Optiplex 620, 745) it would get error 7B now with those changes all other machines work ok ECXEPT the E6400. I assume its BSOD 7B? But it just hangs at a black screen after "setup is starting windows" during txt setup.

The general idea of a BLUE Screen of Death is that it should be blue. ;)

And, if it is a 0x0000007b it will have 0x0000007b displayed in white on it.

So, no, if it is a black hanging screen it is a BHS :w00t: (Black Hanging Screen) and is not a BSOD. :whistle:

It reminds me more of a timing problem of some kind or a problem/conflict with loading a driver than anything else, maybe you should try on that machine to make a USB stick WITHOUT the whole mass of the driverpacks, adding only, if needed, the single mass storage driver that machine needs.

It is also possible that that stoopid machine, being a DELL :ph34r: has one of those pesky BIOSes that have appeared lately to e incomaptibloe with a good half of "advanced" booting programs/techniques, there are a lot of reports lately of grub4dos freezing on DELL machines, though if you get up to "setup is starting windows" it shouldn't be the problem.

Another semi-random attempt may be that of using PLoP as an intermediate bootloader, reloading from it the USB device:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Do BOTH 0.2.3 and Beta 1.0.x behave the same? :unsure:

The two versions use a different approach....

jaclaz

The general idea of a BLUE Screen of Death is that it should be blue. ;)

And, if it is a 0x0000007b it will have 0x0000007b displayed in white on it.

So, no, if it is a black hanging screen it is a BHS :w00t: (Black Hanging Screen) and is not a BSOD. :whistle:

It reminds me more of a timing problem of some kind or a problem/conflict with loading a driver than anything else, maybe you should try on that machine to make a USB stick WITHOUT the whole mass of the driverpacks, adding only, if needed, the single mass storage driver that machine needs.

It is also possible that that stoopid machine, being a DELL :ph34r: has one of those pesky BIOSes that have appeared lately to e incomaptibloe with a good half of "advanced" booting programs/techniques, there are a lot of reports lately of grub4dos freezing on DELL machines, though if you get up to "setup is starting windows" it shouldn't be the problem.

Another semi-random attempt may be that of using PLoP as an intermediate bootloader, reloading from it the USB device:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Do BOTH 0.2.3 and Beta 1.0.x behave the same? :unsure:

The two versions use a different approach....

jaclaz

Jaclaz-

Thanks for the help, I will try out some of your suggestions. I have only tried with 1.0b4 and b5 but not 0.2.3. I tried using Plop to boot from USB, but it seems to hang loading up Grub4dos (CMain loading...???). I will also try with just the E6400 driver and not the driverpack...

Thanks for your help

Fizz

when i use the program to add my win7 or vista. when i boot from usb into the installer it will ask for drivers to see hard drive but if i use the dvd it works fine. theres no extra drivers on the dvd. what can i do.

Hi,

First I have to thank you for this great tool ! I use 0.2.3 version without any problem.

I just wanted to give a try to 1.0beta5 version few days ago but unfortunately I encountered a problem with charset.

I'm French and wanted to make a bootable usb windows xp installation (like I did with 0.2.3 version).

Winsetup create a directory and an iso file with the name of windows version (WindowsXPÉdition**** in French edition case) but the "É" isn't recognized so directory and iso's name have strange chars instead of it and then the bootloader doesn't find them.

Keep the good work !

Hello all. And first - thanks for that great program.

I have a question. As I understood, in file winsetup.lst

a line-command chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/SETUPLDR.BIN

loads a windows install. But using the same way, programs are not running. acronis partition or other.for example:

chainloader (hd0,0)/$WIN_NT$.~BT/ACRONIS.BIN or (hd0,0)/PROG/PASSWORDRESETS.BIN

did anyone try? I mean if one use CD with utilities like a windows sourse, there's no autorun, utilities:windows only. how to add programs? Or this WinSetupFromUSB only for work with OS?

used WinSetupFromUSB v3.2.12.1

Thank you for the excellent program

Line 7499

Error: subscript used witch non-array variable.

Windows 7

Please post the log file either from program directory or by checking "show log" checkbox and copy-pasting whatever is inside.