How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Hi,

1st thank you to those that have made this tool possible.

1. I still have not figured out how to add more than one Win OS in USB. In the readme it states that one can add up to 10.

2. I have successfully installed UBCD4Win. However, when I run it on my dell mini10 2GB RAM, it freezes upon boot. But, it loads fine in other desktops.

3. Is it possible to add several Win OS's and UBCD4Win all in one USB? If so could you point me in the right direction?

1) From \WinSetupFromUSB\Docs\HOW-TOs.txt:

NOTE: Program can add multiple Windows sources to the USB disk (up to 10). Just run the program again and follow the prompts.

Program will detect existing Setup files and on the prompt will tell you what to press to add another source, patching the previous one.

2) At what stage it freezes? What's the last thing you see in the screen?

3) Yep, just add all those windows setups as per above and at some point UBCD4Win as well, order I think does not matter, could be even simultaneously with one of the windows sources.

@mehboob

Thanks, will add it as a mirror.

hello i'm a new french user on this topic

i've proceed with the WinSetupFromUSB_0-2-3.exe : i've formatted an externel usb drive seagate 100 Go with NTFS and reboot for the first step

the windows setup begin but end with the messe "\Windows can't be created'

what's the problem please ?

thanks

Hi,

Trying to install new WinXPPro on the Asus Eee 1005HA (on the 2. free partition), where I have already systems WinXpHome (1. partittion) and Ubuntu (3. extended partition) I found the next problem, what is probably the fault of BIOS. The actual boot manager is GRUB from linux in the MBR.

I formatted my Kingston 1Gb pendrive with RMPrepUSB, options Boot as HDD / XP bootable.

Settings in WinSetupFromUSB:

- Force target disc drive: Removable

- BOOT.INI adjustments: DiskNR 0, PartitionNr 2

At copying boot files get a message about problem around installing GRUB (log bellow), but it finishes the full process (copying Win files, etc.)

2009/11/09 03:38:21- Checking if grub4dos is installed properly
2009/11/09 03:38:21- grub4dos BS/MBR and files are NOT installed properly
2009/11/09 03:38:21- Installing grub4dos BS/MBR and files
2009/11/09 03:38:21- Backing up MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:21- C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\grubinst.exe -s=mbrdisk1-20091109-033439.dat -t (hd1)
2009/11/09 03:38:23- Backed up MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:23- Backing up BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:25- Backed up BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:25- Checking for grldr string in BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:27- Saved BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:28- Grub4dos bootsector not found
2009/11/09 03:38:28- Checking for grldr string in MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:30- Saved MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:31- Grub4dos MBR not found
2009/11/09 03:38:31- Installing grub4dos bootsector to (hd1,0)
2009/11/09 03:38:31- C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\grubinst.exe (hd1,0)
2009/11/09 03:38:35- Checking for grldr string in BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:37- Saved BootSector of disk #1 partition #0
2009/11/09 03:38:38- Grub4dos bootsector not found
2009/11/09 03:38:38- Could not install grub4dos bootsector
2009/11/09 03:38:42- Installing grub4dos MBR to (hd1)
2009/11/09 03:38:42- C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\grubinst.exe (hd1)
2009/11/09 03:38:46- Checking for grldr string in MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:48- Saved MBR of disk #1
2009/11/09 03:38:49- Grub4dos MBR found
2009/11/09 03:38:49- Copying grldr
2009/11/09 03:38:50- Copying menu.lst
2009/11/09 03:38:50- Copying default
2009/11/09 03:38:50- grub4dos installed

After reboot in BIOS I set the boot order:

- removable

- hard disk (sees 2 hard disks: the original Hitachi and the prepared USB pendrive)

Unfortunately at hard disk selection I can only choose BETWEEN Hitachi and USB and not to SET ORDER.

So if I set Hitachi the boot order looks like

- removable

- Hitachi

In this case NOTHING happens, as if no USB device connected (starts the old Linux GRUB)

If I select USB as Hard disk then the boot order is

- removable

- USB

In this case starts the Win setup process, but the Setup program only sees the USB drive/partition and not the Hitachi partitions where should be install the new WinXPPro

In both case the first "removable" parameter as boot device has no effect, everything depends what I set up (as a second boot device) for hard disk (Hitachi or prepared USB)

I hope my problem is understandable (because of my poor English) and somebody have solution for my problem.

Thanks in advance

It's not clear WHEN the internal hard disk is not seen.

Try this: boot from the USB device and press "c" at the grub4dos choices.

You will get to the grub4dos command prompt.

Type in it

find (

and press [TAB] key.

You should see a (hd0) and a (hd1) devices.

Has the source the drivers (SATA) for the internal hard disk integrated, right? :unsure:

jaclaz

The BIOS Boot Settings section is

(A) Boot device priority

1st boot device Removable device

2nd boot device HDD: Hitachi <<<< this value depends from the next setting

(B) Hard disk drives

1st drive HDD: Hitachi

2nd drive USB: Kingston

(If pendrive isn't plugged in then no choice available)

So, if I choose HDD:Hitachi at (B) Hard disk drives as a (A) 2nd boot device then nothing happens, as if no USB device connected (starts the old boot process)

If I choose USB:Kingston at (B) Hard disk drives as a (A) 2nd boot device then starts the boot process from pendrive, but when the setup process ask where to install the system, it shows only the pendrives partition as possible choice.

GRUB4DOS displax hd0 hd1 and rd as possible disks

... and SATA drivers for the internal hard disk isn't integrated into Windows (original WinXP+SP3 used as source)

GRUB4DOS displax hd0 hd1 and rd as possible disks

Good. :)

... and SATA drivers for the internal hard disk isn't integrated into Windows (original WinXP+SP3 used as source)

... and how do you expect that setup can see the internal SATA drive without it's drivers? :w00t:

@asriphet

Re-read, this time attentively, post #1

Here comes the first GUI for our little project.

What it can be used for adding to your USB stick/disk:

- multiple Windows XP/2kX sources in the same partition (up to 10). They have to be in the first partition of the disk! Existing folders ~BT and ~LS and TXTSETUP.SIF will be renamed, and SETUPLDR.BIN and SETUPDD.SYS patched against the new names. Checksum checks are also corrected. BTS OEM folders are supported and renamed accordingly.

- BartPE/WinBulder/UBCD4Win/WinFLPC (NOT ramdisk versions) to any primary partition. Multiple BartPE for example, in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Neither is the mix of them on a single partition.

- Vista/Windows 7 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista setup in another partition. It can be placed on any primary partition.

- PartedMagic, a friendly Linux distro including GParted- open source partition manager.

- SyLinux bootsector, and optionally a directory, containing (Linux) distro booting off SysLinux. For example you may extract UBCD411.ISO, and point it to this folder. Entire contents will be copied and entry for SysLinux will be added to the boot menu.

Please read "Multiple Vista" as "Multiple Vista or Windows 7". ;)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@asriphet

Re-read, this time attentively, post #1

Thank jaclaz for fast reply

I was tried as follow methods in several times but I can't get it done.

1) To install dummydisk driver which included in WinSetupFromUSB package.

2) To partition my UDF as partition#1,#2 and #3

note:

partition#1 -> primary, active.

partition#2 -> primary.

partition#3 -> primary.

3) To run WinSetupFromUSB_0-2-3.exe and get

• partition#1 - WinXP installation source.
  • partition#2 - Win7 x86 installation source.
  • partition#3 - Win7 x64 installation source.

its done without any problems.

4) To try installation WinXP -> Success.

5) To try installation Win7 x86 -> Win7 x86 setup lunched but it can't found source folder. I was tried to continue installation with browe button but i can't see source folder also partition#2 is missing.

6) To try installation Win7 x64 -> it same as Win7 x86 setup process above.

Sorry for my English.

Edited by jaclaz

Hmmm, strange.

However one Windows 7 can co-live on the same primary partition as the (one or various) XP's.

In other words:

1st partition one or more XP + 1 instance of 7

2nd partition "other" version of 7

64 bit version were having some problems, though.

You may wait for a reply by ilko_t, he should be able to better clear the matter and help you specifically.

Rest assured :), your English is better than you think. ;)

jaclaz

I'd guess sticks seen as removable are displayed the same way as in XP/2003- only one partition can be used.

To go around that- either flip the removable bit and use separate partitions as described, or put the other sources in their own folders, initiating setup by entering recovery mode using the one in root-->command prompt and manually executing setup.exe for the desired version.

Haven't played much yet with Vista/7...