How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I am not sure colors could be changed per menu entry.

In any case you need to post in another topic your menu.lst, otherwise how one could guess what you have tried?!

Ok...one final question regarding this program.

Do you know what files Windows x64 deletes after setup from the flash drive? Is it too many to list and will require a resync or is it just a few I can replace manually?

Hey,

I have tried reading everything, but it is just too much information and mostly stuff I have no interest in. I have downloaded the WinSetup and succesfully installed XP to my USB Key. However, I am having some trouble installing it on certain computers. I have a Dell Latitude D600 which works fine and installs perfectly. However, I am trying to install XP on an optiplex gx620. I can load Grub4dos and launch the first step fine.

However once the setup loads the drivers and shows "Setup is Starting Windows" it basically shuts down and gives me blue screen

My error reads the classic a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down.

the technical error is

Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF7A57524, 0xC0000034, ox00000000, 0x00000000)

No idea what any of that means since im a noob!

Suggestions?!

why cant you runs syslinux on a ntfs flashdrive???

i tried it with kubuntu and manual added the info to menu.lst and it worked great.

can i use a external 2.5 drive with this or only flashdrive

what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive?????

Do i need to burn the .ISO to a disk or can I just choose that ISO as my source?
You may extract the ISO somewhere rather than burning it. 7z from http://www.7-zip.org/ is a great tool, supporting ISO format too.

Other way around is to mount the ISO- the freeware ImDisk is perfect for the purpose.

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html#ImDisk

why cant you runs syslinux on a ntfs flashdrive???

i tried it with kubuntu and manual added the info to menu.lst and it worked great.

can i use a external 2.5 drive with this or only flashdrive

what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive?????

Because syslinux.exe, used to save syslinux bootsector as a file, which can be chainloaded by grub4dos doesn't seem to like NTFS, using the latest 3.82:

C:\WinSetup\temp1>syslinux.exe -rf h: syslin.dat

this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

C:\WinSetup\temp1>

Not sure how and where you installed syslinux, maybe more details could help ;)

You can use external USB disk, but x64 versions of XP and 2003, as well as 32bit 2003 cannot be installed using this program, not without some manual interventions during setup.

what do you think about the ocz rally2 16gb drive
Cannot help here.

How do I control whether the resulting USB loads menu.lst or boot.ini? I installed XP on my MSI wind, and the install finished, but I nlited it wrong and the installation is unusable. I created another bootable USB, and now I only see the menu from boot.ini, and can't get back to the first part.

I don't know if it is already notified, but I've got an 2,5" HD 500gb hard disk in a 2,5" case. I did two (primary) partitions one of 16GB and another partition with the rest of the space for data (so in computer management --> disk management the disk is recognized as a basic disk).

I used a nlite source and created, with the winsetupfromusb, an installation in the first partition of the disk, booted from the usb and all the installation went fine, first boot, second boot... all fine. Then it happens that this installation of windows xp recognizes this disk as removable media (my latop, work computer still recognize it as a basic disk) so the second partition dissapears (only for this windows xp installation) and there is no way AFAIK to change it. In the end I reinstalled using the normal nlited CD installation (wich recognizes the HD as a basic disk).

Then it happens that this installation of windows xp recognizes this disk as removable media (my latop, work computer still recognize it as a basic disk) so the second partition dissapears (only for this windows xp installation) and there is no way AFAIK to change it. In the end I reinstalled using the normal nlited CD installation (wich recognizes the HD as a basic disk).

Most probably the "reversed" dummydisk.sys remained as a leftover. :unsure:

On next occasion, check whether rdummy.sys is installed.

Or did you NOT re-boot?

It should get disabled at the first re-boot after install has finished:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...1384&st=421

jaclaz

Most probably the "reversed" dummydisk.sys remained as a leftover. :unsure:

On next occasion, check whether rdummy.sys is installed.

Or did you NOT re-boot?

It should get disabled at the first re-boot after install has finished:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...1384&st=421

jaclaz

I did reboot many times (because after the installation I tried many things so solve it) but still remained as a removable media (if you mean that by "Or did you NOT re-boot?").

For disabled you mean deleted or...?