How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Can this new version of WinSetupFromUSB create multiple boot with the following three boot options?:

Windows XP Pro with drivers from driverpacks.net already slipstreamed

BackTracker v3 from remote-exploit.org (bt3-final.iso or should I use bt3final_usb.iso?)

Ultimate Boot CD v4.1.1 from ultimatebootcd.com (ubcd411.iso)

If so, how do I include all of them on my USB with your awesome tool?

Thanks

Can this new version of WinSetupFromUSB create multiple boot with the following three boot options?:

Windows XP Pro with drivers from driverpacks.net already slipstreamed

BackTracker v3 from remote-exploit.org (bt3-final.iso or should I use bt3final_usb.iso?)

Ultimate Boot CD v4.1.1 from ultimatebootcd.com (ubcd411.iso)

If so, how do I include all of them on my USB with your awesome tool?

Thanks

1) Sure, just go ahead

2) According to ISO size you may need to extract the ISO, copy it to USB and add Syslinux bootsector to the USB stick. This would work in FAT16/32 partitions only, which downside is that are slowing down Text mode files copy part of XP setup a lot, compared to using NTFS. Choice is yours, multiple partitions in the flash drive is also an option- first one NTFS for XP setup, second one FAT16/32 for Backtrack.

3) You'd better use the beta of vers. 5, which can be loaded as ISO:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7312

IF you want to stick with vers. 4, then extract the ISO somewhere, select Syslinux option and browse to the directory where you extracted it. Not quite sure if would work on NTFS partitions.

Here are also some options:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...486&hl=ubcd

If you need further details please open another topic.

Edited by ilko_t

But being able to boot from my usb key after using a linux app of course its a proof that my usb key is bootable, otherwise it wouldnt boot linux.

As for partiotion/formating a format my usb key with winsetupfrom usb internal utility called HP Format utility, i didnt mess with it myself so why didnt it partitioned/formatted properly?

Which tool form that page should i download?

I would null the first 100-200 sectors, replug the stick and reformat it with HP format tool in NTFS to start with. Refer to this post for details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=852517

But being able to boot from my usb key after using a linux app of course its a proof that my usb key is bootable, otherwise it wouldnt boot linux.

Well, if you thought that booting Linux on another key formatted with FAT is enough proof that ANOTHER key formatted as FAT32 or NTFS and witha Windows XP MBR and bootsector will boot, by now you should have been convinced by the evidence.

You may want to read FAQ #10 here:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html

Which tool form that page should i download?

I don't understand the question. :unsure:

I gave you a link to FOUR different and LATEST approaches to increase the bootability of a stick, try first one:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21702

http://www.fuwi.ethz.ch/files/USB-Boot_Utilities.zip

if it doesn't work, try second one, etc, etc.

As ilko_t suggested, zeroing out first few sectors is a guarantee that the tools "start from scratch" avoiding the (unprobable but possible) "influence" of previous "wrong" data on the stick.

jaclaz

Guys i DIDN't use ANOTHER usb key to make it bootable, why you say another? I used the SAME usb stick and booting linnux with it and installing linux with this usb key its a proof its bootable.

But i recall that with GParted in ubuntu i firstly created a FAT partition, FAT32 wouldnt boot.

Maybe the solution here is to be able to format somehow my 8GB usb key as FAT? But tools wont do it becaus ethey say volume tis too big. With gparted i could format it as FAT of 2 GB tops! but at least it let me do it while hp format tool dont.

I know that the usb key its able to boot, i just somehow need to try to format it as FAT before i use the links you gave me.

Do you know how can i format it as FAT?

Guys i DIDN't use ANOTHER usb key to make it bootable, why you say another?

Because you wrote the following:

yes i can boot soemhting for example i was able to create a bootable linxu usb key with a linux tool, so i do know that my mobo can work with usb keys in order to boot.

Which I read (actually as it is written) that you took as the reason why it should boot, the example that previously more than one keys were succesfully formatted and booted with linux.

This is totally not relevant, as I am trying to explain to you.

The SAME stick IMPROPERLY partitioned/fomatted may work on one motherboard and not on another.

The SAME motherboard may work with one IMPROPERLY partitioned/formatted stick and NOT with another stick.

It is quite difficult to create a "PROPERLY" in the sense of "bootable on ANY motherboard" partitioned/formatted stick.

I know that the usb key its able to boot, i just somehow need to try to format it as FAT before i use the links you gave me.

I am also sure that you can boot from a properly partitioned/formatted USB key, ilko_t and myself are trying to tell you that in some cases:

• the partitioning/formatting performed by the HP tool can be NOT working
  • that due to these problems a number of different procedures/programs have been developed
  • that you should TRY using one of the given recent bettered methods/utilities, to which links were given

You are of course perfectly FREE to avoid following the advise given and remain convinced that you need to format the stick as FAT.

Do you know how can i format it as FAT?

YES. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollar...no-answers.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

This has been taken care of, look here for details:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=705697

Restrictions- works on XP 32 bits only.

Thank you, but I did not see concretly how to add the rdummy.sys to make it works. I did check the option to force removable disk but with bad result.

Does the program do anything for me? Could you please provide more details, thank you.

Thank you, but I did not see concretly how to add the rdummy.sys to make it works. I did check the option to force removable disk but with bad result.

Does the program do anything for me? Could you please provide more details, thank you.

If you have fixed disk (normal USB hard disk) then radio button should be at FIXED DISK, wasn't it selected automatically? This way the program will put rdummy.sys driver to the XP installation files making the necessary changes in txtsetup.sif.

If you have fixed disk (normal USB hard disk) then radio button should be at FIXED DISK, wasn't it selected automatically? This way the program will put rdummy.sys driver to the XP installation files making the necessary changes in txtsetup.sif.

Thank you for your hint. The problem is now fixed. Explanations: I used first a removable USB key with the program. Once it works, I copied all the files to a USB HDD and rerun the program which correctly detects the fixed USB HDD. By pressing GO there are 3 choices. I chose the SYNC option (this is the problem): this option does NOT update the txtetup.sif file, even if I delete it. From your post I use the third option (Cancel button) to delete the two $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS directories. This time the txtetup.sif is created and has rdummy.sys and now it works.

Suggestion: maybe txtsetup.sif should always be updated regardless of the option chosen ?

Other question : I use USB HDD key with multiboot capability. The program did patch setupldr.bin to avoid collision with /minint/setupldr.bin (UBCD4Win) and txtsetup.sif at root. I also have ERD commander 2005/2007 setupldr.bin that was patched to resides inside \ERDC and \ERD7 directory respectively. Now it no longer works due to presence of txtsetup.sif at root. I assume I have to patch some specific location of txtsetup.sif to notsetup.sif ?

Edit: answer to my own question: yes, one occurrence of txtsetup.sif has to be changed to notsetup.sif to avoid collision.

Edited by lilas

I used first a removable USB key with the program. Once it works, I copied all the files to a USB HDD and rerun the program which correctly detects the fixed USB HDD. By pressing GO there are 3 choices. I chose the SYNC option (this is the problem): this option does NOT update the txtetup.sif file, even if I delete it. From your post I use the third option (Cancel button) to delete the two $WIN_NT$.~BT and $WIN_NT$.~LS directories. This time the txtetup.sif is created and has rdummy.sys and now it works.

Suggestion: maybe txtsetup.sif should always be updated regardless of the option chosen ?

You should not have copied the files from USB stick to the USB hard disk manually, for the same time WSFUSB would have prepared the stick with rdummy.sys.

As for the suggestion- the program is not intended to fix previously prepared USB disk/stick, except the part for synchronizing sources. There are so many changes currently made to the source, so checking each of them becomes too much of work for the purpose. Much easier would be to format the disk and prepare it properly.

I also have ERD commander 2005/2007 setupldr.bin that was patched to resides inside \ERDC and \ERD7 directory respectively. Now it no longer works due to presence of txtsetup.sif at root. I assume I have to patch some specific location of txtsetup.sif to notsetup.sif ?
Please post contents of the USB disk, which files did you patch and did you put XP setup when ERD files were already there.

Is it like this after you reboot the newly installed Windows? The responsible driver is supposed to stop after first restart.

Sorry for the long delay.. i forgot about it :D .

Yes, right after Windows installation . i was using WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.0 . Now i reformatted the partition and remade it using 0.1.1 . it worked but after the windows install , the ~LS and ~BT folders disappeared. :|

Does WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.2 fix this issue ? :)

Yes, right after Windows installation
You need to reboot it once in order the driver responsible to be uninstalled.
after the windows install , the ~LS and ~BT folders disappeared
XP what Service Pack was the source?

Yes, right after Windows installation
You need to reboot it once in order the driver responsible to be uninstalled.
after the windows install , the ~LS and ~BT folders disappeared
XP what Service Pack was the source?

Service Pack 2

I also rebooted as you said and it didn't worked.

I tried now with the latest version 0.2.2 and still the same (i mean , windows recognize my HDD as removable drive and i have access only to one partition).

I will keep testing.. :)

Edited by nForce4

Please run this in command prompt on the machine in question and post the output:

sc query rdummy

Then attach USB_root\$WIN_NT$~BT\winnt.sif, removing any personal data you may have in it, including windows serial number/id.

Edited by ilko_t