How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I'll use this:

"b ) Especially for desktop/notebook users with an Intel ICH8 or ICH9 (without R or M) chipset mainboard, who want to use AHCI:"

Since you have an ICH8M, I would try:

"a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:"

But this should be not connected with the problem you reported.

Let's continue on the new thread, OK? :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

so I just tried to use this on my eee pc 900. However, whenever I get to the screen to start, I don't see a first time start, only 3 or 4 second time starts. I saw there was a reply about this above me, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I think I must be doing something incorrectly. I get the following when setup tries to copies files.

Setup cannot copy the file: advpack.mui

and

Setup cannot copy the file: ieframe.mui

The source CD I'm using is a disk that has been modified with both HFSLIP and NLite. I thought this could be used in conjunction with those two pieces of software, was I mistaken?

Thanks,

Caspean

Can you find these files on the USB stick? Where are they located?

Does the error occur during Text mode or during GUI mode?

Please attach txtsetup.sif file from USB root.

Edited by ilko_t

Can you find these files on the USB stick? Where are they located?

No I can't find these files on the flashdrive. I do find similarly named files as follows:

G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.DL_

G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\IEFRAME.MU_

G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.DL_

G:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386\ADVPACK.MU_

Does the error occur during Text mode or during GUI mode?

Text Mode; First I partition the drive, then format, then it copies the setup files. During the copy of setup files is when I get these errors.

Please attach txtsetup.sif file from USB root.

Attached.

After everything installs it seems to work, but it worries me a bit that I get those error messages.

Thanks,

Caspean

TXTSETUP.zip

There are strange duplicate lines in txtsetup.sif, which may not play role when installing from a CD, but may do from USB.

Comment out the first line in USB_root\txtsetup.sif and \$WIN_NT$.~BT\txtsetup.sif of the duplicates:

advpack.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,advpack.dll.mui
advpack.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,advpack.dll.mui

To become:

;advpack.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,advpack.dll.mui
advpack.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,advpack.dll.mui

ieframe.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,ieframe.dll.mui
ieframe.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,ieframe.dll.mui

;ieframe.mui = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0,ieframe.dll.mui
ieframe.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,ieframe.dll.mui

The rest of the similar files do NOT have such duplicated lines, such as:

iepeers.dll = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0

iepeers.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,iepeers.dll.mui

ieproxy.dll = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

Didn't iedw.mui also give you an error?:

iedw.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,iedw.exe.mui
iedw.mui = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

Search for "1,,,,,,,1005" and find any other duplicated entries for the same file name, leave the ones with "1,,,,,,,1005" and comment out the other.

This is problem of nLite or HFSLIP, or improper usage one after another, and the error may occur if installing from a CD as well.

Edited by ilko_t

Didn't iedw.mui also give you an error?:

iedw.mui = 1,,,,,,,1005,0,0,iedw.exe.mui
iedw.mui = 1,,,,,,,,3,3

No, no error.

This is problem of nLite or HFSLIP, or improper usage one after another, and the error may occur if installing from a CD as well.

I've installed from this CD a few dozen times and never gotten an error of any kind. Unless NLite automatically suppresses errors I'm not sure why that would be.

Comment out the first line in USB_root\txtsetup.sif and \$WIN_NT$.~BT\txtsetup.sif of the duplicates:

This does resolve the problem.

Thanks,

ss3

Thanks for sharing the result.

It's interesting to look a bit deeper why this happens.

Using this as reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127677

1005 means the file goes to system32\en-US\ subdirectory, whereas 2 stands for \system32\.

So advpack.mui for example should be copied twice- to \system32\en-US\ and to \system32\ renamed to advpack.dll.mui.

Logically if the file is not deleted during the first copy (you can check if file is still present after setup), no errors should occur since its location on source disk is the same in both lines, it simple would be copied twice.

If the file does get deleted from USB stick during Text, then other files should be missing too. Is the file still on USB stick after setup?

As for iedw.mui = 1,,,,,,,,3,3 I can't find reference what the missing target subdir location defaults to, thus why no errors are displayed about this file :blink:

Same for why no errors when installing from a CD, maybe if the file is deleted during copying, but cannot be from a CD...

No idea also are the files supposed to be in both system32 and system32\en-US\, or this is wrongly set.

Based on what you wrote I thought I'd play around with this and see if I could figure out if anything is being deleted.

I reformatted the flashdrive with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.1 (HP format Tool). Then I put in my installation CD and ran WinSetupFromUSB with the default settings.

The flashdrive Info (before attempting an install):

7602 Files
187 Folders
811,129,730 bytes

advpack.mui and ieframe.mui are not present, but these files of similar name are:

During the first stage of the two part install I get each of the following errors one time: (after NTFS formatting, when the files are copied, before reboot)

Windows XP Professional Setup

=========================

Setup cannot copy the file: advpack.mui

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you are installing fomr a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

• To skp this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3

and

Windows XP Professional Setup

=========================

Setup cannot copy the file: ieframe.mui

• To retry, press ENTER.

If you are installing fomr a CD, make sure the Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

• To skp this file, press ESC.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.

• To quit Setup, press F3

I tried the retry option several times on both, it failed every time. So used the ESC option to skip the file and continue with the install. I completed both steps of the install and removed the flashdrive and inserted it back into the machine it was formatted on.

These are the characteristics after installation:

7602 Files
187 Folders
811,129,730 bytes

advpack.mui and ieframe.mui are not present, but these files of similar name are:

They appear to be identical, so I would say no files are deleted.

So I decided to take a look around and see if I could find out what's going on. What I came up with this this:

IE7 Slipstream to SP3 - Missing advpack.mui and ieframe.mui

This is basically the same setup as my disk, but I go on to use NLite afterward to create an unattended ISO. So to make a long story short, I would have to agree with your original assessment that this is not an issue with WinSetupFromUSB. My guess would be that NLite is suppressing the error messages on install, which is disheartening. The next time I update my disk I will create an ISO in HFSLIP and test it before moving on to NLite.

Caspean

Thanks for the details.

FYI - files are compressed, and extracted before copied to destination, that's why they end with _.

Another idea- Text part of setup attempts to delete them, but the USB stick is write-protected by entries in migrate.inf. At the same time setup is instructed to copy the same file to another destination right after the same file was attempted to be deleted. It could be timing issue.

This does not happen when installing from a CD since Setup would not attempt to delete the files in question.

If you move just the lines we commented out to the bottom of the same section [sourceDisksFiles] in txtsetup.sif, right below tempunat.inf=1,,,,,,,2,0,0 , uncommenting them, so Setup has some time before attempting to copy the same file for a second time, you may not get the error messages, hopefully.

Just an idea...

Still not sure if such duplicated lines should be present at first place.

You may also watch when the duplicated lines show up, after HFSlip or after using nLite.

Hello, with latest WinSetupFromUSB vers. 0.2.1 on eeePC 900 I have problem. When I try boot from flash drive, booted instead system from SSD. Version 0.1.1 don't have this problem. OS: Windows 2003 Server SP2

Edited by NT Man

This shouldn't have anything to do with the versions. The programs which format drive are external and never been changed.

Reformat the stick, try another stick, double check BIOS settings.

How large is the USB stick? What files system did you use to format it with? Using PEtoUSB or HP format utility? Did you format it at all?

Hi I have problem

The boot from usb flash drive is OK and run windows XP setup in notebook MSI wind u100

but when I try Delete Partition I have message : Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.

What I need to do, to format drive in setup XP?

Edited by John89596