How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Hello grace to you I managed to make my key, I put UBCD4Win 3.12, gparted, a version xp, ophcrack xp and vista, I thank you for your precious help I put everything on a key ocz, it is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS PROGRAM IS AWESOME!

Is there any way we can have a medal ceremony for the creators of this wonderful piece of software? I've been looking and looking and looking, for a straightforward program that will do exactly what WinSetupFromUSB does.

Great, great job, guys. This is the bomb. Thank you. :thumbup

Hi, i'm using a Kingstone Data Traveler, 4gb.

I'm trying to use the HP Formating Tool. I assume that the "create a dos startup disk" must be checked. But when i select my C drive in the "using DOS system files located at:" field, the program says that there are no valid dos system files at the specified location.

So my question is: 1. Where's these files, or "valid dos system files"? 2. must i format the Pen Drive as FAT32, or as NTFS?

I'm pretty noob for these stuffs. So, if you can (i know that u can, you guys are awsome), gimme a detailed explanation of this step.

*I tried all the process before. I did all the steps, but i did not formated with the Hp Tool (made the WinXp explorer formating), and, of course, did not created the start up thing in my Pen drive.

I have an Acer Aspire One, that's becouse i need it so much, i have no CD ROM drive to install my system, and my present windows is absolutely Bugged.

Thank you for all!

I'm trying to use the HP Formating Tool. I assume that the "create a dos startup disk" must be checked.

Just Format your USB-stick with HP Format Tool and use NTFS FileSystem.

So do NOT select to Create a DOS startup disk.

Hello everybodyI have just taken the last version, but when I want to put partedmagic he puts me an error: grubinst.exe could not make a backup of mbr.....

partedmagic 3.7

With the former(ancient) version I manage to put gparted..... a bug?

Wow. Perfect timing for me ilko_t. :D

I was just about to make a new usb stick and to my suprise we have a new version of the gui. :P

I'll let you know if I have any issues.

BTW... you think maybe we can somehow code my setupsourcechanger into it somehow?

Basically if we can do it... my idea is when someone wants to integrate multiple oses into their usb they can easily add them. It would check only for file differences and place them into the same BT/LS folders. We could have a CONVERT folder in I386 with the files which are different. Then the user could easily change oses in BartPE. Or if we could get a simple script made in GPart to do the work that would be even better. :) We could have all of the OSes listed in the lst file... and when an os is selected it copies any needed files for that os from the convert directory for that os. I really think it could be done. We just need to come up with a good structure to use it.

...BTW... you think maybe we can somehow code my setupsourcechanger into it somehow?

Basically if we can do it... my idea is when someone wants to integrate multiple oses into their usb they can easily add them. It would check only for file differences and place them into the same BT/LS folders. We could have a CONVERT folder in I386 with the files which are different. Then the user could easily change oses in BartPE. Or if we could get a simple script made in GPart to do the work that would be even better. :) We could have all of the OSes listed in the lst file... and when an os is selected it copies any needed files for that os from the convert directory for that os. I really think it could be done. We just need to come up with a good structure to use it.

That would be interesting, need to think in that direction for a while.
hi ilko_t!!!

my WinSetupFromUSB.log

Strange, everything seems fine, but apparently MBR file was not created.

Can you format the USB stick again and then give it another try? If you have a chance to disconnect the card reader you have attached that would be even better.

If still doesn't work- try issuing the commands manually- first open up CMD and enter:

c:
cd \WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\
grubinst.exe -v -l (hd3)

Assuming card reader is still plugged in. If you see hd3 is the USB stick then:

grubinst.exe -v -s=mbr.dat -t (hd3)

Please copy-paste here all the output from the above- right click in the CMD window, select mark, use the mouse to select everything, press enter then paste it here.

Did you get now a file mbr.dat in C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\ ?

hi

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>grubinst.exe -v -l (hd1)

Partition list

# id base leng

0 0C 3F 3BFFC1 (1920M)

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>grubinst.exe -v -s=mbr.dat -t (hd1)

Start sector: 0x0

Image type: MBR

Num of heads: 255

Sectors per track: 63

Partition table

bt h0 s0 c0 fs h1 s1 c1 base leng

80 01 01 00 0C FE 3F F3 3F 3BFFC1

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0 0

Install mode

Read only mode

C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos>

yes i have mbr.dat in C:\WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\

Did you remove any hardware or restart your PC?

In the log file there were a few more mass storage devices present:

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Physical Disk: Corsair Flash Voyager USB Device -- \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Disk Partition: Disk #3, Partition #0

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Logical Disk: R: File system: FAT32 Bootable: -1

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Physical Disk: Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device -- \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE4

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Physical Disk: Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device -- \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE5

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Physical Disk: Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device -- \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6

2009/04/06 23:20:51- Found USB Physical Disk: Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device -- \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE7

Why the USB stick is hd1 now? Maybe the WMI query returned inaccurate information, if you ahve only 1 internal hard disk USB stick should have been \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 ...

Can you reboot the PC and try WinSetupFromUSB again?

If the error persists please post the new winsetupfromusb.log file along with the output of this handy batch file made by Jaclaz run right after WinSetupFromUSB without removing/disabling any hardware:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...c=6492&st=7

You will need dd fro windows in the same folder- http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip