How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Antivirus software for some reason is sensitive to AutoIt scripts, there are always false alarms. To stay on the safe side you may cross-check on virusscan.jotti.org or virustotal.com.

winbom.ini looks file, need to investigate further what else it could be.

edit: What's the exact version of WinBulder you used?

Edited by ilko_t

Kasersky support staff says it's ok, so no problems here :) I just thought they might solve the issue so that it doesn't show up as a false alarm.

Winbuilder used was the latest 0.75beta5, build l. I have just downloaded beta 5o and will try again. I needed the beta to test a vistape, that's why I'm using beta WB.

I have checked and cross-checked the iso and target folder of Winbuilder, and it is quite clear. Using the CD-ISO or PEtoUSB, everything is fine. Using WinSetupFromUSB I get a blank startmenu, no network... etc. Can anyone please confirm that the latest version of WinSetupFromUSB is properly installing LiveXP to an USB stick and you can run PE from it without problems ?

Thanks, Vially.

Please copy ModelRam.exe from liveXP folder to root of USB disk and let me know if that works. This was the only change I did, just tested 075 beta E and it worked, not using winbom.ini.

Edited by ilko_t

1st of all, i like to thank you for the great speedy tool for those not so computer inclined.

I have a little problem when using the program, i had just wanted a simple usb installation with sp3 and i used nlite to use a oem copy of xp pro to slipstream it to sp3. after which i had copy the iso to a cd and is using the winsetupfromusb to make the usb files.

I noticed that when i install the windows from the usb drive, the session somehow became unattended and there was a preassign code to it. did i do something wrong in the setup? not sure if its a nlite prob or the winsetupfromusb. but all i did from nlite was to install sp3 and make bootable disk.

@Kaida- check if in your source you have unattended.txt. It's used as answer file if winnt.sif is not present.

As far as I know behavior when installing from a CD is the same- it looks for unattended.txt and uses it if winnt.sif is not present.

If you don't want to use these setting you can rename that file to anything else.

Make sure your source is on a hard disk, 0.1 A and B fail to change a few lines if source is on a CD. Fixed in the next version, which I am currently testing before publishing.

Edited by ilko_t

@Kaida- check if in your source you have unattended.txt. It's used as answer file if winnt.sif is not present.

As far as I know behavior when installing from a CD is the same- it looks for unattended.txt and uses it if winnt.sif is not present.

If you don't want to use these setting you can rename that file to anything else.

Make sure your source is on a hard disk, 0.1 A and B fail to change a few lines if source is on a CD. Fixed in the next version, which I am currently testing before publishing.

Hi Ilko, funny thing is that I tried installing from the CD and it was a normal attended session but when I use that CD to make the USB, I get the unattended. Is the file for the unattended.txt or winnt.sif you are mentioning about in the USB or on the CD source? which directory should i be looking for it at?

Noted that the source should be on the hard disk. will try to do the xcopy and make the usb again. i'm definately looking forward to your new release. great work out there.

Edited by Kaida

Just copy your XP source on the hard disk (drag&drop from Explorer would work too) and rename unattended.txt in I386 folder.

Next launch the program and continue.

Getting rid of this option, thanks for reporting :)

I am happy to report that copying modelram.exe into the usb flash root is working, everything loads fine in PE. Thank you soooo much :). And since I am here I would also like to express my point of view regarding WinSetupFromUSB:

I have read some posts earlier, and I saw that you are a little bit reluctant into adding advanced options in this tool because you want it to be easy for new users to use it. While I definitely agree that it should be straightforward for them, i also feel a little bit left out as a more advanced user. I strongly believe that having an option not to copy win9x and lang folders and to make the distribution unattended should be mandatory for this tool. Even if these options are command-line activated or hidden for regular users, they should definitely exist. You have to be aware that a regular user (the ones that you thing you are targeting) is not playing with livexp, parted and so on. It is much more likely that advanced users use this tool at least in the beginning. Please add an option to make the sources unattended and to remove the w9xupgrade and lang folders (like that command line tool has).

Version 0.1 uploaded, please look at first post for download links and list of changes.

In the next version - 0.2, which is almost ready the major change is, that all changes are made during GUI mode, thus user can unlpug the USB disk or start from internal disk right after GUI mode. Jaclaz is adding some functionality to binifix.cmd, which will be executed from presetup.cmd.

@wimb- if we edit $winnt$.inf in system32 before start of GUI mode and make msdosinitiated=0, at T-1 setup will not wipe out the temp folders, allowing to get rid of 2 scripts and perform everything during GUI part. This is what binifix going to perform since now presetup.cmd is always executed, no matter if BTS DP is present or not. I have tested with x64 and it works too.

I am using presetup.cmd to launch spdrvscn.exe from Vernalex (has 32 and 64 bit version), as per this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=123023

Basically unattended section is almost fully covered, besides, presetup.cmd gives many other opportunities.

@Vially- thanks for the report, I think that's the only issue and it's fixed now.

As for the unattended part- why not using SetupMgr.exe for example? I put in Docs\Useful_Links.txt link to it and guide for using it, if not already in \SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab. It creates answer file in seconds.

Lang&win9x folders- if you never use them why just not delete them from the hard disk, just curious. I am considering completely different GUI, still working on it as much as time allows. It will have tabs for each multiboot option added, thus interface will not be overloaded and I can add more checkboxes/options, however, this will not be out in a week or month, just spare time does not allow.

edit: how about a button "advanced", which opens up another GUI with advanced settings?

Edited by ilko_t

Yes, you are right about deleting the folders, this can be done manually, but of course if you will add an advanced button, then you can also add an option there for that. I actually believe that having a separate small button and window for advanced options would be a good idea for the moment, or you can just add line in an XML settings file, like

Advanced options=1

and if it is 0 the user will be prompted about not removing the stick... etc and he will see no advanced options, but if it is set as 1 (or boolean YES - your call) all advanced options will available but all prompts like the one advising not to remove the usb stick will not be displayed (an advanced user is supposed to know that)

And last, from my experience at working with program GUI design, I know that the most important thing is to have a clear idea about what buttons and options you want, and then design the GUI. If you don't have a clear idea about these (like in our case, where the functionality is developed along with the GUI), the best option is to go with a tabbed design. This way, you can always rearrange the different options on different tabs without too much hassle, you can add or remove tabs, but the interface will be clean and easy to use. If you will stick to single windows, you will either have too many buttons to open them, or you will have too many or too few buttons on them, as you add/remove functionality.

Hope it helps,

Vially

Edited by Vially

Just copy your XP source on the hard disk (drag&drop from Explorer would work too) and rename unattended.txt in I386 folder.

Hi ilko, I had noticed that there is a unattended.txt in the E:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 too. can i just rename or delete from there? previously when you said there is some problem using the source from the CD. could you elaborate on that?

@Vially

All suggestions are welcome, but the idea of this GUI was to have something SIMPLER than the already existing batches.

You may want to re-read the first posts of this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-USB-WinS...4.html&st=4

up to:

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-USB-WinS....html&st=10

For the "Advanced" user's the way to go is undoubtedly the wimb's batches as they offer more choices and are much more "customizable".

The GUI tool was an attempt to simplify life to the less "computer savy" people.

I don't think that making two "complex" tools basically with the same "engine under the hood" but with different "look" is useful. :unsure:

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

jaclaz

@wimb- if we edit $winnt$.inf in system32 before start of GUI mode and make msdosinitiated=0, at T-1 setup will not wipe out the temp folders, allowing to get rid of 2 scripts and perform everything during GUI part.

Hi ilko,

Very good idea :)

Thanks for providing the AutoIt3 Source code. It is quite an impressive peace of work.

I have just finished and Uploaded my first AutoIt3 GUI module for USB_XP_Setup.

It is a GUI for Display and Edit of the winnt.sif file for providing the XP Setup parameters

to be used in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder. It makes live again easier :)

I am sure your source code will help me a lot in programming USB_XP_Setup completely with AutoIt3.

wimb

Edited by wimb

Yes, you are right about deleting the folders, this can be done manually, but of course if you will add an advanced button, then you can also add an option there for that. I actually believe that having a separate small button and window for advanced options would be a good idea for the moment, or you can just add line in an XML settings file, like

Advanced options=1

and if it is 0 the user will be prompted about not removing the stick... etc and he will see no advanced options, but if it is set as 1 (or boolean YES - your call) all advanced options will available but all prompts like the one advising not to remove the usb stick will not be displayed (an advanced user is supposed to know that)

And last, from my experience at working with program GUI design, I know that the most important thing is to have a clear idea about what buttons and options you want, and then design the GUI. If you don't have a clear idea about these (like in our case, where the functionality is developed along with the GUI), the best option is to go with a tabbed design. This way, you can always rearrange the different options on different tabs without too much hassle, you can add or remove tabs, but the interface will be clean and easy to use. If you will stick to single windows, you will either have too many buttons to open them, or you will have too many or too few buttons on them, as you add/remove functionality.

Hope it helps,

Vially

Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experience, will have that in mind :)

Hi ilko, I had noticed that there is a unattended.txt in the E:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 too. can i just rename or delete from there? previously when you said there is some problem using the source from the CD. could you elaborate on that?

Deleting from ~LS folder won't help, you need to delete or rename it in the source folder, before running the program. However, this is no longer required for 0.1 version, it will not use unattend.txt as an answer file when winnt.sif is not present

If source is on a CD read-only attributes are preserved while copying files. In this case AutoIt fails to edit the files we amend- txtsetup.sif, winnt.sif, presetup.cmd... The latter 2 were fixed in beta, but not the first. In 0.1 this has been taken care of, and source should be fine to be used from a CD.

@wimb- if we edit $winnt$.inf in system32 before start of GUI mode and make msdosinitiated=0, at T-1 setup will not wipe out the temp folders, allowing to get rid of 2 scripts and perform everything during GUI part.

Hi ilko,

Very good idea :)

Thanks for providing the AutoIt3 Source code. It is quite an impressive peace of work.

I have just finished and Uploaded my first AutoIt3 GUI module for USB_XP_Setup.

It is a GUI for Display and Edit of the winnt.sif file for providing the XP Setup parameters

to be used in $WIN_NT$.~BT folder. It makes live again easier :)

I am sure your source code will help me a lot in programming USB_XP_Setup completely with AutoIt3.

wimb

Hope it helps you :)

Mind you, don;t rely completely on what I wrote, there is a lot to be improved in terms of error checking etc. It just happens to work, sometimes.. lol