How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

hi @ilko_t,

I made a multiboot with EFI 8.1, acronis vs. everything seem OK but when I boot normally it goes to grub menu to select a menu as expected but when I boot from a gpt disk it goes directly to setup OS, it doesn't goes grub menu.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't save my log file since I saw my error, but my experience (and ignorance) may help in the design of your beautiful program.

Being noob, I usually try default settings first. I'm installing XPsp3. Drives are SATA 3 but like most user I don't like AHCI (long story I don't want a discussion on that point). The Grub4Dos default position 1 is something like "Autodetect for SCSI/RAID/SATA drivers." (Technically they are AHCI drivers, my SATA hdds are faster for my applications using std emulation instead of AHCI.) So, anyway I went with the default. Obviously, I didn't add any F6 drivers to my source.

There were messages like, Cannot find /JMInsDRV.DLL -- found JRAID_F.INF, copying JMIns.dll, error cannot find /JMInsDRV.DLL and then the installation hangs. Then I realized maybe by SATA you meant AHCI. Also, I'm older, so it would be nice if there was a way to toggle a pause/continue button or hotkey tp hold the screens so that I could read them. My notes say, Setup tries to continue but complains "Setup cannot install JMInsDrv.dll" ESC to skip file, but skipping ends up in a loop.

It would be nice if there was a little edit window in the program, where user could resort and rename setup programs. So instead of having default position 1 being Autodetect SCSI/RAID/SATA drivers, and position 2 (too fast, I couldn't read it), and position 3 being Windows XP sp3 AIO v106 with post-EOL Addon or whatever Text mode, Gui mode etc., allow user to select which setup gets moved to default top position, and let him move SCSI/RAID/AHCI to the bottom if he doesn't have them. Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. Not that it may not already be on the back burner, but low priority.

I have both Intel and JMicron SATA on my mobo, so I was miffed when JM drivers started popping up. I was wondering how did they get into my source?? Then I realized that the program must have added them, and searched for them.

Highest regards!! It's a wonderful program!!

Thanks

The Grub4Dos default position 1 is something like "Autodetect for SCSI/RAID/SATA drivers."

You do not have to use it. Some other alternatives:

http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/faq/#faq3

Consider this option as last resort.

There were messages like, Cannot find /JMInsDRV.DLL -- found JRAID_F.INF, copying JMIns.dll, error cannot find /JMInsDRV.DLL and then the installation hangs

I guess you mean preparing the drivers hangs, not the actual Windows Setup, right?

The DPMS script is from Chenall, the current main grub4dos developer, it was later modified by Steve, the author of RMPrepUSB. I wouldn't play with this script unless there is a trivial change needed.

Also, I'm older, so it would be nice if there was a way to toggle a pause/continue button or hotkey tp hold the screens so that I could read them

The script can be modified to pause every now and then, but this would be overwhelming for the average user, cannot be set as default behaviour.

The information you provided, the driver names, is sufficient to troubleshoot the script.

It would be nice if there was a little edit window in the program, where user could resort and rename setup programs.

Just edit menu.lst or winsetup.lst using any text editor- Notepad++ etc. etc.

Alternatively, there is advanced options button where you can set custom names for the source being added and its folder name on the USB disk.

I have both Intel and JMicron SATA on my mobo, so I was miffed when JM drivers started popping up. I was wondering how did they get into my source?? Then I realized that the program must have added them, and searched for them.

As above, you do not have to use the option for SCSI/SATA/RAID drivers.

Highest regards!! It's a wonderful program!!

Thank you

• 6 months later...

Hi

Latest version 1.6 works fine as expected. Thanks.However i noticed that if i don't use the option to format the USB stick using "fbinst", the resulting USB stick doesn't have the option to load "Plop boot manager" by pressing F2 during boot. That was a very useful feature as i have to occasionally dealt with older motherboards which may treat the USB stick as a super floppy or something. Booting from a standard USB stick prepared with "RMprepUSB" or "Bootice" will usually fail on these motherboards. However i can successfully boot from USB if the USB stick has your custom MBR code to load "Plop" by pressing F2. Unfortunately "WinsetupfromUSB" will only write a standard Grub4dos MBR if the disk is already partitioned/prepared using DISKPART or Bootice. I have a 32 gb flash stick with data on it. It will be great if there is a way to write your custom MBR code without formatting the stick.

Edited by Agent47

FBInst code made by bean123 is much larger, requires ~8MB reserved space before the first partition and can't fit in the same sectors as standard or grub4dos MBR, so no option to simply put that code instead of a standard one.

You can try replacing grub4dos with newer version which have USB drivers embedded, although as far as I recall this won't solve the issues with those weird BIOS-es which can't even find grldr. I kinda lost track if USB support was merged in the mainstream versions and how mature now it is. You may want to start from here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/19883-improve-grub4dos-boot-speeds-by-using-the-046-usb-driver/

@ilko

I'll throw this on the table (and quickly hide my hand behind my back ;) ):

http://reboot.pro/topic/19516-hack-bootmgr-to-boot-windows-in-bios-to-gpt/?p=197690

UMBR is a one-sector mbr code, able to load a sector sequence(e.g., for grldr).

The idea is:

UMBR installed on the MBR(i.e., the LBA 0 of the GPT drive).

jaclaz

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...