How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

- I tried installing XP from USB 3.0 drive on Dell N5110 Laptop (that has Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller) with error: no display.

- I remember that I did it before correctly, by injecting these Renesas USB3.0 drivers in textmode. (just like SATA drivers)

I wonder why WinsetupFromUSB is not adding these drivers for motherboards that has USB 3.0 Host Controller like: Renesas, Etron, ASMedia, Intel eXtensible ...etc

If you dont need EFI you could use NTFS. How large is install.wim?

of course I need EFI. install.wim's file size is 4177288 KB. when I put file iso to program, it's appear the notice like you said. iso's file size is 4.7GB + 58MB!

what should I do now???

- I tried installing XP from USB 3.0 drive on Dell N5110 Laptop (that has Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller) with error: no display.

- I remember that I did it before correctly, by injecting these Renesas USB3.0 drivers in textmode. (just like SATA drivers)

I wonder why WinsetupFromUSB is not adding these drivers for motherboards that has USB 3.0 Host Controller like: Renesas, Etron, ASMedia, Intel eXtensible ...etc

1) It may not be such straightforward process as it may appear to be automatized

2) I don't have wide variety of USB 3.0 hardware to test.

3) I don't expect lots of users having hardware with USB 3.0 to run XP on it

4) With XP support officially ended, I wouldn't spend much time adding new features in regards to NT5 sources, program already deals with the most common and needed ones

You could try using the advanced option to add F6 floppy having prepared such with the needed drivers:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/161875-usb-30-txtsetupoem-files/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158290-install-xp-on-usb3-stick/

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+3+drivers+txtsetup.oem+site:www.msfn.org

There will be 2 boot options for this floppy image, try the second one which utilizes Firadisk driver as well if the first one is not working.

This way you could add several floppy images for each USB 3.0 driver.

of course I need EFI. install.wim's file size is 4177288 KB. when I put file iso to program, it's appear the notice like you said. iso's file size is 4.7GB + 58MB!

what should I do now???

You could use the previous 1.0 beta8 version and add this source first as a flat file structure. Next Windows NT6 sources can be added with the latest 1.4 version, as long as they are < 4GB of course.

Limitation is that you can have only one source using the flat file structure.

Alternatively, you could try NTFS and EFI as mentioned here.

of course I need EFI....

Why? Even if your system originally came with EIF I don't think that it is required that you keep it. And if you don't use EFI then you can use NTFS which would allow the size of install.wim that you need.

Cheers and Regards

1) It may not be such straightforward process as it may appear to be automatized

2) I don't have wide variety of USB 3.0 hardware to test.

3) I don't expect lots of users having hardware with USB 3.0 to run XP on it

4) With XP support officially ended, I wouldn't spend much time adding new features in regards to NT5 sources, program already deals with the most common and needed ones

You could try using the advanced option to add F6 floppy having prepared such with the needed drivers:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/161875-usb-30-txtsetupoem-files/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158290-install-xp-on-usb3-stick/

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+3+drivers+txtsetup.oem+site:www.msfn.org

There will be 2 boot options for this floppy image, try the second one which utilizes Firadisk driver as well if the first one is not working.

This way you could add several floppy images for each USB 3.0 driver.

what should I do now???

You could use the previous 1.0 beta8 version and add this source first as a flat file structure. Next Windows NT6 sources can be added with the latest 1.4 version, as long as they are < 4GB of course.

Limitation is that you can have only one source using the flat file structure.

Alternatively, you could try NTFS and EFI as mentioned here.

I'll try this idea. thanks for your support!

of course I need EFI....

Why? Even if your system originally came with EIF I don't think that it is required that you keep it. And if you don't use EFI then you can use NTFS which would allow the size of install.wim that you need.

Cheers and Regards

the problem that I need a usb boot all in one. hiren boot, winpe, win setup xp, win7, win8... I think if I change usb's format to NTFS, usb never get EFI support anyomre!

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure how can I create a windows xp and 7 multiboot pendrive. I should use fat32, but when I select the windows 7 iso file, it says too big file for fat32. I've also uncompressed that iso file, but for windows 7 I can give only iso and not folder location.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with windows post installation wizards.

for win 7, it always hangs up after creating the win user on last part "finishing setup" when the wpi want to begin but it won't.

Then i have to restart the system manually.

After restart does wpi start and continue without errors?

Does this happen if using the previous 1.0 beta8 version or from a DVD, which uses flat files sctructure and source is copied as is?

Does the wpi script search for files on the DVD?

Most likely the WPI script needs files from the DVD/source directory, but the ISO is mounted and available only during the PE stage.

What you can do is to move the files WPI needs to the relevant \sources\$OEM$ folder in the ISO so they are copied to the destination disk during the PE phase. You might find those extra files and figure out their destination by comparing yours with an original ISO for example.

I can't provide more details without knowing what exactly the custom scripts in your source do and expect.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to make a USB from my Win8AIO ISO but after creating a VMDK for the USB drive, adding that as a SATA HDD (port 0) to my VM, with a VDI as a SATA HDD (port 1), after the initial Win8 splash, it says:

"Your PC needs to restart. Error code 0x000000C4. Parameters: 0x[lots of 0]91"

I tried with QEMU and it does the same thing, albeit it takes a lot longer to get there!

Any ideas what I need to change? It might even work OK on real hardware but it's a pain to test on that and have to keep re-doing it if it needs tweaking, particulary if any problems don't appear until half-way through the install, so if I can confirm it works in Vbox first it would be nice.

Thanks, I would try that but I've now tried to boot it on baremetal and it throws up much the same error, although it specifically refers to winload.exe as missing/corrupted. I have installed from the iso before though, so I know it works that way but I want to install it from USB now.