How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

I use 1.0 beta8.

Just tried doing exactly how you advised. When I pressed F2 the menu appeared with "USB" option highlighted and "01" next to it. Almost immediately everything froze and a windows with the message appeared: "Loading EHCI driver". Now it just sits there.

Is it normal and I should just wait or there's something wrong?

Upd. It seems that it just hangs after choosing the USB option...

Edited by Antony

When you see PLoP menu try to press shift+u, this should force USB1.1 mode.

Does this motherboard support USB 2.0, what's the exact model?

By the way, use ps/2 keyboard, not USB one if possible, as the latter will be disabled after loading PLoP.

Never mind. I decided to go with Windows 7 and everything installed normally.

WinSetupFromUsb turned out to be the only way my computer can boot from USB drive. Thanks for developing a useful tool.

• 2 months later...

How do I change the driveletter of the USB-drive?

My nLite'd install uses D: for \Program Files etc. These get put on the USB currently.

post-64172-0-44643900-1373664899_thumb.p

After a bit of research. Is this due to the way you boot USB in VirtualBox, and setup not seeing it correctly? migrate.inf etc.

EDIT: Yup, that seems to have been it. I decided to not be lazy and restart my machine and boot on the "real" hardware. The Drive showed up as W:

Edited by tordenflesk

Is this due to the way you boot USB in VirtualBox, and setup not seeing it correctly? migrate.inf etc.

Migrate.inf, which is responsible for the drive letters at text mode, was made for the removable USB disk which was being prepared.

VirtualBox emulates and boots USB drives as fixed disks.

If you were using USB fixed(hard) disk , I guess drive letters would remain as expected.

You may test in VMWare Player, boot from a PLoP CD, connect the USB disk to the virtual machine, select boot from USB in PLoP. This is as close as possible to real USB boot. There is also BIOS for QEMU which also supports USB boot.

I have Windows XP installation USB created with WinSetupFromUSB which is 8GB. Can i add the installation files for Windows 7 to the same USB and what is the safest way to do that? I guess the USB will become little messed up because the installation files for windows xp and windows 7 will be in the root directory.

I managed to damage the boot sector of my pen drive. What I want to do is to repair it faster without reformating and installing everything all over again - too slow.

So can I repair the boot sector of the pen drive?

I already tested that installing win xp is ok and Hiren's boot work without a problem.

I recovered the files in the main dir like "bootmgr", "grldr", menu.lst, windefault and etc.

If I try to install Win 7 it gives error "The boot selection failed because a required boot device is inaccessible" or something like that. The same error happens if the internal HDD don't have any drivers I think but this is not the case.

This problem started after using auto repair option from a boot cd to repair Win 7 OS while the usb pen drive was inside - stupid me :(...

Problem solved copying my backup folder "boot". There is a file "bcd" which happened to be like 5-6 kb while the original backup file was around 256 kb :D.

Edited by momchilandonov

Ilko, wtf happened to the G00g1e Code page you were using for this excellent project? I spent about 10 minutes searching, and then found the correspondence.

I cannot express how I feel about their actions without breaking at least two forum rules.

If you are planning on maintaining the project in some other place as well, please PM me. I would love to have that information.

You have my support.

Ilko, wtf happened to the G00g1e Code page you were using for this excellent project? I spent about 10 minutes searching, and then found the correspondence.

I cannot express how I feel about their actions without breaking at least two forum rules.

But there should be no issue with linking to the google groups postings:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-code-hosting/kbugMNXibGM

so that everyone can think by himself/herself the same things you cannot express ;).

Ilko, JFYI, Sourceforge should be a much better place for WinSetupFromUSB. :unsure:

And at least judging from the contents of the projects hosted there they seem to be a lot less picky than google code (or possibly it's just Mr. Mark Williams :unsure:).

However, besides the recent activity by Mr. Williams in searching for files without sources and therefore closing projects:

http://www.mail-archive.com/google-code-hosting@googlegroups.com/index.html

it seems to me like the people of the google code team are reasonable:

http://www.mail-archive.com/google-code-hosting@googlegroups.com/msg11117.html

though they do not judge on "copyright issues" :w00t: :

http://www.mail-archive.com/google-code-hosting@googlegroups.com/msg11070.html

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to use WinSetupFromUSB to create multiboot USB for programs like GParted, Kaspersky Resque Disk, Windows 7 Repair Disk, SOME WAREZ and others?

Edited by jaclaz
Removed name of Warez Release