How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

if i connect it on 3.0 ports, it doesn't boot!!

There are no USB 3 drivers at Windows 7 by default, hence the missing USB disk connected to USB 3.0 port.

no problem...i use 2.0 port
Yes, this works. There are USB 2 driver by default.

EDIT:

probabibly i found the mistake: with BOOTICE i hid partition used with Winsetup then i tried to boot windows and it doesn't work !!!

Maybe, but still that screenshot sounds more like a timing problem.

Some External USB's and particularly WD "Green" drives have been reported to be "slow" at booting.

The traditional solution (for 3.5" disks) was to power the disk before the computer, for 2.5" disks to use an external power supply and power the disk before the computer and/or do a warm boot, or enter BIOS and add boot time RAM check, anything that could provide a few seconds of "advantage", but usually that timing problem made the external disk not bootable, not "unavailable" after the setup has started :unsure: .

However, JFYI and as side note as it is not related to the issue at hand, you may want to correct the partition table on that disk, a number of softwares may NOT "like" partition entries in an order different from what is on disk.

jaclaz

However, JFYI and as side note as it is not related to the issue at hand, you may want to correct the partition table on that disk, a number of softwares may NOT "like" partition entries in an order different from what is on disk.

i konw....but i must change order of the partition to view movies on divx player...the player find partition only if it's the first in partition table....

i tried three time to hide and unhide partition and seems be that the problem...

i konw....but i must change order of the partition to view movies on divx player...the player find partition only if it's the first in partition table....

Well, then just take care when you use MBR/partition table/partitioning/formatting related tools :).

Just in case of need (only seemingly unrelated):

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24392

i tried three time to hide and unhide partition and seems be that the problem...

Good :), then it is solved.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i used beta 9, first i deleted all files of windows 7...then i used winsetup. i tried boot...when i select win7 setup on grub, i select first part of installation (partition 1) and works!! Then i aborted, i suppose that i will select the second stage of installation when system reboot . correct? old procedure has only one stage, the problem is it?

Correct. The second menu is added only for user convenience, for easy unattended setups if after first reboot BIOS boots again from USB, it simply boots the MBR on the first internal disk, just as BIOS would do if the internal disk was first in boot priority order.

i thought that was possible modify menu.lst or other files to arrive at the same result of winsetup 1.0 beta 8...

I still don't get your idea, maybe an example would help, but nothing stops you to edit menu.lst for example, or any other file, as long as you know what you are doing.

With all due respect :), you could change the description of WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta9_rc4.7z to "Experimental", instead of "Deprecated", that of WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta8 from "nothing" to "Current", and post a link to:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount'>http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list?can=1&q=&colspec=Filename+Summary+Uploaded+ReleaseDate+Size+DownloadCount

jaclaz

I want those experimental as well as the old ones versions hidden from the default view.:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list

Marking them as Deprecated seems to be the way to keep them hidden and still accessible. As far as I see I can add new labels, Experimental for example, but cannot hide such files.

]I want those experimental as well as the old ones versions hidden from the default view.:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list

Marking them as Deprecated seems to be the way to keep them hidden and still accessible. As far as I see I can add new labels, Experimental for example, but cannot hide such files.

Well, it's your files, but it seems to me a "queer" way to manage a project (or versioning).

Basically you have not on that page the "stable" 0.2.3 (which would be the "logical" thing to use if you come here the first time),

you have the 1.0beta8 (which, comeon :), is Beta since more than one year, has contributed to install more XP's than you might ever think :thumbup ), but you go around:

suggesting the beta9 (which is experimental BUT not listed by default).

IMHO a project should have:

• last "previous" versions (just in case) <- let's say 0.2.3 <-Marked as "Previous stable"
  • "current" version <- the 1.0Beta8, aptly renamed to 1.0 <- Marked as "current"
  • "experimental" version <- the 1.0Beta9, aptly renamed to 1.0Beta <- Marked as "experimental"

these three versions should be available on the "default list", while all the versions but the three above should be not listed by default, but available in the advanced list:

• "previous" versions (just in case) <- let's say anything before 0.2.3 and all the 1.0beta's <-Marked as "Deprecated"

jaclaz

I agree, the versioning is a little mess. The reason not to clear it up already is that I had long to-do list with enhancements and futures for "stable" 1.x version, but due to the lack of time to code and thoroughly test them I just add another beta. Regular users seem to not mind much, I guess first time users are put off the word beta.

To be fixed soon though.

• 2 weeks later...

Please help me, Is it possible to hide cmd.exe under GUI mode of install WinXP (x64) ? Where is the start it in a script? How I do to make it with hidec.exe /w command ?

And thanks for Your good works! My nLite WinXP64 good working with the tools!

You may edit \I386\setup.cmd, which is cab compressed to setup.cm_ and remove the line:

start /min "Keeping USB disk mounted workarround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

Why is it bothering you? It's been put there on purpose. In some cases during PnP detection the USB disk may disappear, then Setup, naturally, complains about missing source files. That window keeps open handle to the USB disk during GUI mode, so it does not disappear. All this to work as expected, in the next version of the program another line is added just above this one:

%CDDRIVE%

If you want to keep that window, but hide it, start pushd by hidec.exe or any other alternative. Add the relevant lines in txtsetup.sif in the corresponding small ISO file and the file itself in I386 or AMD64.

If you want to keep that window, but hide it, start pushd by hidec.exe or any other alternative.

Yes, it i need. Thanks!

This is one line that show cmd.exe ?

start /min "Keeping USB disk mounted workarround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

hidec /w pushd %CDDRIVE% will be correct for me?

Only large and very cool file setup.cmd difficult to understand the beginner :)

Edited by semiono

This is one line that show cmd.exe ?

Yes.

hidec /w pushd %CDDRIVE% will be correct for me?
I have not used it. Looking at switches I would not use /w, since we want the script to continue.

hidec.exe has 2/45 detection ratio by AntiVir and Ikarus on Virustotal.com . You may want to write to these companies to exclude it from their signatures or use it as is if that doesn't bother you.

I'd also try RunWait.exe which has a switch to disable SysWow64 redirection (you were installing XP x64, right?) from ImDisk package or cWnd.

On a second thought- you do not have to include the file in txtsetup.sif, just put it somewhere on the USB disk, say in WINSETUP folder and use the %CDDRIVE% variable to launch it. At that time it refers to the USB disk root, i.e.

%CDDRIVE%\WINSETUP\the_file_you_chose.exe parameters

For example, NOT TESTED:

%CDDRIVE%\WINSETUP\cwnd.exe /hstart "cmd /c pushd %CDDRIVE%"

Or

%CDDRIVE%\WINSETUP\runwait.exe /64 /hide cmd /c start pushd %CDDRIVE%

title First part of Windows SP2 x64 setup from partition 0
title Second part of Windows SP2 x64 setup/Boot first internal disk

Why need?

I've removed second entry and it works normal.

---

And the same this good works with my Win_XP_x64_SP2_nLite

rem start /min "Keeping USB disk mounted workarround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

:rolleyes:

Edited by semiono

title First part of Windows SP2 x64 setup from partition 0
title Second part of Windows SP2 x64 setup/Boot first internal disk

Why need?

I've removed second entry and it works normal.

Because one can have fully unattended setup once the partitioning screen was passed. If computer is set to boot from USB, the second part will start and continue automatically.

You can safely remove all the menus for the second part of Setup, or simply do not use them ;)

And the same this good works with my Win_XP_x64_SP2_nLite

rem start /min "Keeping USB disk mounted workarround, do NOT close!" pushd %CDDRIVE%

:rolleyes:

As already mentioned- this is required for some BIOS/USB stick combinations, NOT always. If it works on your combination without that line then fine, but keep it in mind if you come across such combination.

As for me personally, I'd rather keep that line and cause tiny little user inconvenience and annoyance by that bad, nasty little minimized black window, but have as close as possible to 100% success rate of properly completed and successful Setup ;)