How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

USB 3.0 32Go Verbatim : Don't work :wacko:

USB 2.0 16Go Corsair : Work 100% :thumbup

USB 3.0 32Go Corsair : Work 100% :thumbup

I bought especially Verbatim USB 3.0 stick to make Installs :huh:

Some USB stick like Verbatim USB 3.0 do not seem to be still compatible with WinSetupFromUSB.

But WinSetupFromUSB is still a great software!

Edited by kitnoos2002

Hello!

Thank for informations!

I just tried with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3

Quickly to the beginning of the installation he told me he could not start because the file system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupt.

WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3 + USB 3.0 32Go Verbatim : Don't work :wacko:

Did you start the First part of Setup? Did it go through? Did you see grub4does menu entries- First and Second part of Setup, on cyan/light green background?

This error message may appear if the Second part is launched and boot.ini entries are not proper ones. Details are here, Q4/A4:

In addition, as reminder- always disconnect unnecessary mass storage devices such as card readers when installing from USB, no matter what Windows version and what program prepared the USB disk, as they may affect and often do, where Setup places boot files and where exactly the Windows installation is.

I use the same sources files ( XP SP3 Original + Ntdetect modified)

I have 1 HDD with 1 Partition

First and Second part of Setup ----->First part

I start from the first part, and all first part seem OK ( Select first partition(The only), Quick Format ntfs, Copying Windows Files...)

After reboot, I have system32/hal.dll error.

I will try to mod Boot.ini

I disconnect card readers but I have the same error.

Install to Disk 0 Partition 1 [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)] in Boot.ini : Don't work

Install to Disk 0 Partition 1 [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)] in Boot.ini : Don't work

Install to Disk 0 Partition 1 [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)] in Boot.ini : Don't work

Install to Disk 0 Partition 1 [multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)] in Boot.ini : Don't work

Edited by kitnoos2002

Which boot.ini do you edit? On the internal hard disk, or on the USB stick?

The latter should already have all those entries, just below the line "Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors".

Are you actually booting from USB for the second part? Do you select Second part of Setup from grub4dos boot menu?

Yes I edit Boot.ini on the USB stick.

You would also need to make sure you boot from USB for the second part, the GUI mode, NOT from the internal disk.

I think the second part don't boot on USB with WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3 if I press F8 (BBS POPUP)

I try with boot forced on USB in bios.

EDIT :

OK Install is working with USB Forced in bios.

I don't need to do that with WinsetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta 8

I will tel you if complete install work with Verbatim USB 3.0 stick and WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3

Edited by kitnoos2002

Same error,

Verbatim USB 3.0 stick isn't visible at t-28 and I have the error : files are needed (CMPROPS.DL_)

This is strange because at the beginning (T-39) we can see for a few minutes that the light on the USB key is working, so there is a working file transfert at the beginning.

And at T-28, USB stick it becomes not visible...

OK, thanks a lot for the tests and the patience.

There must be something unusual with this stick, wild guess is that Setup marks it as "needing reboot" in order to be functional, when installing drivers for it or for the USB bus it's on, or installation of some other USB devices are affecting it. I've pointed you to a similar case, sorry I have no further explanation for now, nor a workaround/fix, apart from replugging the device as you figured out.

As for the USB boot- there is a major difference between 0.x.x and 1.x versions- former versions and method needed second boot from USB for the second part, latter do not- second boot for the GUI mode could be from the internal disk, as boot,ini is properly generated during the first part.

To make it clear- with 1.0 beta8 you most likely were not booting from USB for the second part, you just haven't noticed that because there is no error if you don't.

Program, or what's on the USB stick has no such control over BIOS, if F8 boot menu starts USB, whether stick was prepared with 0.2.3 or 1.0 betaX should not matter, it should boot or not the same way in both cases. Unless this particular BIOS reads what's on the USB device (maybe check for a known MBR/start sector or MBR/start sector start bytes?) and decides to ignore the USB boot, but that would be very unlikely in my opinion.

Another point- WinSetupFromUSB prepares the USB stick in a friendly for Setup manner,since it's not USB install aware at all, using number of tricks and cheats and that's it, the rest is in full control of Setup. If Setup does not like that USB key for some reason, it's must be issue with the combination XP Setup, USB drivers, BIOS etc. etc. and this particular USB stick. There could be a workaround or fix for this combination, and that would be yet another trick or cheat, for this particular case.

OK! Thank you very much for yours explanations!

Program, or what's on the USB stick has no such control over BIOS, if F8 boot menu starts USB, whether stick was prepared with 0.2.3 or 1.0 betaX should not matter, it should boot or not the same way in both cases.

I am 100% sure With WinSetupFromUSB 1 Beta 8, I no need to Force USB Drive in Bios. Just Select the good USB Drive Once with F8 BBS Boot Menu.

With WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3 I have to Force USB Drive for Working.

For the Verbatim key problem, could we not use the minimised batch "setup.cmd" to simulate a "disconnect-reconnect" of the USB key?

OK! Thank you very much for yours explanations!

You are welcome.
Program, or what's on the USB stick has no such control over BIOS, if F8 boot menu starts USB, whether stick was prepared with 0.2.3 or 1.0 betaX should not matter, it should boot or not the same way in both cases.

I am 100% sure With WinSetupFromUSB 1 Beta 8, I no need to Force USB Drive in Bios. Just Select the good USB Drive Once with F8 BBS Boot Menu.

With WinSetupFromUSB 0.2.3 I have to Force USB Drive for Working.

I'd love to prove you wrong, but can't, I have no such hardware around. :)

For the Verbatim key problem, could we not use the minimised batch "setup.cmd" to simulate a "disconnect-reconnect" of the USB key?

Setup.cmd is launched before real Setup starts, for GUI mode, like in T-0, or T-(-1).

It does some things, launches real Setup and is closed. The only leftovers are the minimized CMD screen which should keep the USB drive letter untouched during Setup using 'pushd' command, but in your case it does not. There could be another solution, never needed such until your report, after more than 2 million downloads of the last few versions.

To simulate reconnect at the right moment, and that seems to be at T-28 according to your report, a program must be monitoring the USB key the whole GUI part and if it's lost, then reconnect it. I am not even sure if such program could survive, or run in background the whole GUI part.

It's more interesting why the USB drive is lost, with this particular USB stick...

Can you try something- on installed XP, which never seen this stick, plug it and let it detect it and install drivers. Does it ask for reboot before the device is ready to use? If yes- does this stick have some extra features, like encrypted part of it, CD/DVD part or something unusual?