How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

Removing this row in winsetup.lst and menu.lst removes the display of the error. If I don't remove it I cannot start the XP installer.

Try instead creating (notepad will do) an empty file named "usbdrive.tag" on the root of the USB device first partition.

More generally the idea of a check is to check something ;).

If the check fails it is advisable to create the conditions for the check to be successful instead of removing the check alltogether.

The real question being of course WHY that file hasn't been created by the WinSetupfromUSB? :unsure:

Still you didn't answer the asked questions (just like checks are there for a reason, questions are asked for a reason):

1. how EXACTLY did you partition/format the device?
  2. Or, if you prefer, are you sure that you are booting from a grub4dos MBR (and not from the PBR)?

You see, if by any chance you started with a "deviation" from the "standard", it is unlikely that by pure chance your path will cross again the path of the application, the risk being finding a new issue ( to be worked around) at each new step.

jaclaz

Thanks for the help guys. I used the --skip-mbr-something command typed in the field extra and it worked.

The point is not to find a way around the error, but the source of the error and take care of it. You were told what to try, if you insist on doing it your own way, then is it a dialogue, a request for help, or we are reading a blog with your trials and errors? :)

Tested the usb and still I get the error where the file /usbdrive.tag is missing. What is the point of this row when your utility doesn't install this file usbdrive.tag?

"ls /usbdrive.tag > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /usbdrive.tag > nul"

Removing this row in winsetup.lst and menu.lst removes the display of the error. If I don't remove it I cannot start the XP installer.

Usbdrive.tag is copied by the program from \files\winsetup\ folder to the root of the USB drive. If it's not in either or both places, then there is something broken somewhere, ideas in order of probability:

1) You used a program not fully compatible with 7-zip archives. One of them reported is IZArc, it seems to not extract from 7-zip archives 0 bytes files, as usbdrive.tag is. Use 7-zip to handle 7zip archives.

2) You have not extracted all files and folders from the downloaded archive

3) An application or user interfered when preparing the USB stick or afterwards

4) Etc. etc.

Also why beta 8 adds some timers before booting installers? I get 3 seconds timer while trying to start XP installation in some black(dos like)screen? It just slows things down :D.

For troubleshooting reasons, 3 seconds give enough time an user to see the important last messages which developer made to display important information, make a note of them or take a picture and report in case of troubles.

If the 2 x 3 seconds added to the total installation time of approximately 12-60 minutes bother you and are of some degree of importance, you could delete the relevant lines with "pause" in them, or simply hit any key to continue without the wait time. :w00t:

If the 2 x 3 seconds added to the total installation time of approximately 12-60 minutes bother you and are of some degree of importance, you could delete the relevant lines with "pause" in them, or simply hit any key to continue without the wait time. :w00t:

Of course provided that his reaction time is actually shorter than three seconds.... :whistle:

;)

jaclaz

Of course provided that his reaction time is actually shorter than three seconds.... :whistle:

;)

jaclaz

My reaction time is in milliseconds. If you see my swift moves you'll stay amazed! (Weird Al Yankovic btw ;) )

It's strange the last time I boot Win XP it waited maybe like 1-2 minutes for usbdrive.tag on a PC but on one Notebook there wasn't a search for this file :).

The problem was *kinda* in Izarc BUT it also happened while using your executable version which didn't reported problems on my stable machine. So the files still isn't installed from Beta 8...

Even deleting all the row containing usbdrive.tag it still want's it (hardcoded) so I made the empty file ;p.

Godspeed!

The problem was *kinda* in Izarc BUT it also happened while using your executable version which didn't reported problems on my stable machine. So the files still isn't installed from Beta 8...
I have never published beta8 in executable file. The only proper source for beta 8 is from here:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list

The old 0.2.3 was the last one with installer and all those versions do not use usbdrive.tag files at all.

Anything else you need help with?

I have never published beta8 in executable file. The only proper source for beta 8 is from here:

http://code.google.com/p/winsetupfromusb/downloads/list

The old 0.2.3 was the last one with installer and all those versions do not use usbdrive.tag files at all.

Anything else you need help with?

Sorry Beta8 was archived too :D but I was mistaken from the directory I put it in...

This is the best program for fast installing of different OS from USB :).

Maybe if you know a way to install Win XP without any kind of drivers will be very helpful. I mean deploying Win XP on different machines. Win 7 has the command sys-prep but Win Xp don't have it :(.

Or if I could deploy some Ghost/Acronis image which won't give BSOD after the first restart :D.

Also how can I make my important files of this usb pen drive protected from virus attacks? I didn't find 32 GB pen drive with lock mechanism...

I need to protect easily the mbr/boot sectors and eventually the autorun.inf file.

Hi!

I bought new Intel motherboard http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dn2800mt.html

I am trying to install XP from USB.

First problem is that drivers for AHCI doesn't work (I included them in XP installation with nLite).

Okay, I switched to IDE mode, then first part of installation goes fine, but when I have to choose second part, I receive following and system freezes:

Booting Second part of 2000/XP/2003 setup / Boot first internal hard disk

2 (HEX :0x2)

EDIT: Booting directly from HDD fixed second problem.

Now I just neet to find right drivers or right method for including them. Any Ideas?

EDIT2: After second part was finished, Windows wasn't able to start anymore :(

Thanks!

Edited by SoWhat

First problem is that drivers for AHCI doesn't work (I included them in XP installation with nLite)
Which drivers did you include?

Have you tried BTS mass storage drivers pack with Text mode enabled?

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

EDIT: Booting directly from HDD fixed second problem.
How was the internal disk partitioned? From within Setup? Was it pre-partitioned?

Have you tried to delete all partitions during Setup and create new ones?

Did you use latest beta8 of the program?

What model and capacity is the internal hard disk?

After second part was finished, Windows wasn't able to start anymore
Can you elaborate on that? How far did it go? Did it freeze,at what stage, or what exactly?

After I wrote that post, a lot has happened.

I found XP installation with already included SP3 and SATA drivers.

So I added it to SATA Hard drive (it is much faster than USB stick) using program version Beta 7. This hard drive is plugged in SATA1 slot, I am installing system on SATA0.

Than first part of installation went smooth, but after restart I got blank screen when system tried to boot from SATA0.

Then I did following - I chosed to boot from SATA1 and then selected Plop Boot manager, than I selected first hard drive, than I received "NTLDR is missing", than I tried to boot from SATA0 again and second part of installation started. It went smooth almost until the end. I selected all language stuff, computer name etc. Than after few minutes I saw blank screen again.

Both hard drives are fujitsu 120GB, 1.5GB/s.

Each time I begin installation, I delete old partition and create new one on drive C:

I will try to repeat everything using Beta 8.

Ehh, Beta 8 freezed after choosing second part of installation and it wrote:

Location usbdrive.tag
Address 0x82a0: Value 0x80
2 (HEX:0x2)
2 (HEX:0x2)
1 (HEX:0x1)
Found 2 disks, set USB disk hd1
Booting MBR on hd0 ...

There is something wired going on - sometimes when in the beginning I am pressing F10, system is able to boot from SATA0 and continue installation until mouse arrow shows up. Then system restarts.

Edited by SoWhat

Lets start clean, not introducing too many changes from confirmed working solution:

1) Leave only one internal disk, the one Windows is to be installed on

2) Use proper, vanilla, unmodified XP source. Integrate SATA drivers yourself. Link is in the post above.

3) Prepare USB disk/stick with this source using beta8

4) During setup, delete all partitions and create new ones and continue

5) This might be 1) actually- ensure hardware is working, test with Ubuntu Live CD for example for a while, WinSetupFromUSB can add such as well

2) How about SATA driver which is included in beta8? for me it works well - drives are detected.

5) already checked with SOME WAREZ Boot CD, HW works perfect.

3) already tried to use SATA->USB adapter instead of connecting installation drive directly to motherboards SATA port, didn't help.

Okay, I will try to integrate drivers myself DriverPacks.net way.

Edited by jaclaz